Net10 PrePaid Phone for cruise

nanak915

Has anyone ever used a Net10 PrePaid phone for a cruise? I read on some boards that people have bought a Net10 PrePaid to use while traveling. This way they are not hit with roaming charges on their regular phones and have a phone to use while away from home. I'm just curious if this will work for a cruise.

Has anyone ever used a Net10 PrePaid phone for a cruise? I read on some boards that people have bought a Net10 PrePaid to use while traveling. This way they are not hit with roaming charges on their regular phones and have a phone to use while away from home. I'm just curious if this will work for a cruise.

You need to THOROUGHLY check out the phone and coverage BEFORE you purchase. Some prepaids are only good in the USA, some cover certain countries, some are true global phones.

You MAY be able to use the prepaid on the ship. BUT since calls through the ship are billed through third party billing to YOUR cell phone provider and there is no way to bill ship calls with a prepaid, the prepaid company just turns off the phone when calls are bounced off the ship tower. TracFone lost over $1,000,000 last year and have really cracked down on those that use their prepaid cell phones through third party providers (hotels, ships, 900 numbers, etc. etc). TracFone shuts off the phone and you CANNOT reactivate it with the same phone number and credit card. Net10 is a division of TracFone. Carlos Slim (owner of TracFone) did not get to be one of the richest men in the world letting people "milk" the system. Don't count on using your phone on the ship.

I have a tracfone, that has directions on how to call Mexico. ... but not how to call the U.S. from Mexico. It didnt work on the ship either out to sea.

I would think any phone would work from Alaska though, since its a U.S. state?? I would bring mine, and assume it would work, if not, there are always payphone and internet cafes.

Archived