QM2 calls on SF?

MarkBearSF

I saw an article today about the upcoming salesforce.com conference in SF which has booked a cruise ship to supplement hotel space (when you run out of hotel space in SF ...wow!). The article used a stock shot of the QM2 passing beneath the Golden Gate Bridge.

I recall being part of a hearty group at the tip of Pier 39 on that January Sunday morning in 2007, when the QM2 arrived on her maiden call to SF. She was magnificent, clearing the fog banks and celebratory spray. On that morning, I turned to my partner and pledged that within a year we'd travel on her. Interestingly enough, that last Sunday in January was notable throughout the nation as Superbowl Sunday. However, in SF (since the 49ers weren't playing) the QM2 was what dominated all the talk and the news reports that day - and kept a steady traffic jam along the Embarcadero, trying to get a glimpse of her majesty, nosed into the pier.

My question - has the QM2 revisited SF since her initial call in 2007?

As I mentioned, I made good on our pledge with a crossing in 2008 and joined friends on a short Canadian jaunt the next year. We're eagerly anticipating our crossing in May 2016.

Edited by MarkBearSF

I saw an article today about the upcoming salesforce.com conference in SF which has booked a cruise ship to supplement hotel space (when you run out of hotel space in SF ...wow!). The article used a stock shot of the QM2 passing beneath the Golden Gate Bridge.

I recall being part of a hearty group at the tip of Pier 39 on that January Sunday morning in 2007, when the QM2 arrived on her maiden call to SF. She was magnificent, clearing the fog banks and celebratory spray. On that morning, I turned to my partner and pledged that within a year we'd travel on her. Interestingly enough, that last Sunday in January was notable throughout the nation as Superbowl Sunday. However, in SF (since the 49ers weren't playing) the QM2 was what dominated all the talk and the news reports that day - and kept a steady traffic jam along the Embarcadero, trying to get a glimpse of her majesty, nosed into the pier.

My question - has the QM2 revisited SF since her initial call in 2007?

As I mentioned, I made good on our pledge with a crossing in 2008 and joined friends on a short Canadian jaunt the next year. We're eagerly anticipating our crossing in May 2016.

Yes. Google -> Queen Mary 2 San Francisco -> Images <-for some pretty kewl photos.

Edited by Salacia

Thanks, just did, great picture found of the OM2 in SF.

You're welcome pris. I've been to LA (on a business trip) but I hope to someday have an long visit in your beautiful state. Cheers, -S.

People should be a bit wary of "overspill hotels". A number of years back my friend was put up in a temporary hotel; a smaller ship in port of Los Angeles. In the morning he found it was heading for Alaska and he had no chance of disembarking. When he complained about the situation they charged him for a cruise he had not booked. I said he should look on the positive side and realise he had earned some loyalty points but he still was miffed.

That's Life.

John

...My question - has the QM2 revisited SF since her initial call in 2007?...

No. She has to make a trans-Pacific crossing and San Francisco is an extremely expensive port. Tugs are required whether a ship needs them or not and California requires the use of ultra low sulfur fuel. Blame/credit the powerful environmental lobby that wants to kill the cruise business by a thousand cuts.

Just a couple of clarifications.......I was on QM2 for that magnificent entrance into San Francisco. It was Sunday Feb 4th. We sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge at about 4:00 in the afternoon, welcomed by hundreds of ships and boats. A sunny crisp day. We were delayed tying up to the pier due to tides. We overnighted on the ship and disembarked on Monday morning.

It was a note worthy entrance into a beautiful city.

Just a couple of clarifications.......I was on QM2 for that magnificent entrance into San Francisco. It was Sunday Feb 4th. We sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge at about 4:00 in the afternoon, welcomed by hundreds of ships and boats. A sunny crisp day. We were delayed tying up to the pier due to tides. We overnighted on the ship and disembarked on Monday morning.

There are some wonderful Youtube videos from various advantage points. A green canvas target had to be stretched on the Golden Gate Bridge to make the high point of the span. My personal favorite is the comment from a passenger on a tour boat which was following her as she approached the bridge: "Back up! Back up!":D

Well Cunard does send the QE and QV here to SF every year, so I don't think it's environmental concerns stopping the QM2. I think it's more a case of the various itineraries of the World Cruise, which is the only time they seem to come here anymore anyway. I watched the QM2 sail through the Golden Gate that day in 2007 and it was so impressive. Impressive enough for my father to finally relent and agree to do a crossing with my mom (with me along) for their 50th the following year. So my plan worked. A few times over, actually. To answer the initial question, yes, that was the only time she's been here. I wish they'd send her back, as she made quite a splash.

Edited by sfo-john

She'll go 'round the Horn in 2016 but will turn left at Chile.

When the Canal expansion is finished there's still the question of the Bridge of the Americas. Technically QM2 has more height above the waterline than the Canal Authority allows without special signoffs but there is just a bit of clearance at low tide.

Nominally:

Bridge clearance at high tide: 61.3m;

QM2 height: 72m - 10m draft = 62m

From the Authority's document on Vessel Requirements:

e. Maximum Height

The allowable height for any vessel transiting the Canal or entering the Port of

Balboa at any state of the tide is 190 feet (57.91 m) measured from the waterline

to its highest point. With prior permission from the Transit Operations Division

Executive Manager, height may be permitted to 205 feet (62.5 m) on a

case-by-case basis, with passage at low water (MLWS) at Balboa. Maximum

Height Restrictions are due to the tide and the unpredictable upward movement

of water from swells, surges, waves, etc., and maintenance equipment

suspended beneath the bridge at Balboa.

Edited by Underwatr

She would have such a small window of opportunity to squeeze under that bridge that I don't see Cunard risking it. Any delay for whatever reason would mean that she would have to wait for the next low tide. This would cause all kinds of problems especially if the next port was an embarkation port.

That said, I'm sure both Cunard and the canal authorities would love the publicity if it were doable.

Probably there would be a way to schedule a hold between transiting the canal and passing under the bridge. This would give some schedule slack and make the transit time less critical. There are some industrial wharves in Balboa on the canal side of the Bridge.

Thanks so much for the clarification and for sharing the memory!

Sad she hasn't made it back up here. She's gone round the horn on multiple World Cruises, but aside from this visit, hasn't gone north of LA.

I recall, back in the day, the QE2 had quite a loyal SF following and would typically visit at least once a year.