Taxis in Rome

Love Cruis'n

While we plan to do a lot of walking while in Rome later this month, the question I pose is about taxis. Sometimes that blister pops up when you least expect, or the old knee just acts up a bit. Generally speaking what might a taxi cost – say from St. Peters to P. Navona or from Coliseum to P. Navona. (Can you tell we’re staying at a hotel right near P. Navona?)

And does one simply flag a taxi down as in many major cities in the US, or are there designated stands where you queue up with others?

Thanks,

Terry

sorry cant tell you the price of taxis- but if you get a pass for the open top tour buses they stop at all these places and you can get on and off as many times as you like !! piazza navarone is very centrally placed for the collesium spanish steps etc.... lucky you

Ten Euro is a safe bet between most points within the historic center of Rome.

You do not flag cabs in Rome, it's against the law. There are taxi stands near all of the major sites, however, so it isn't hard to find one.

Taxi rates are regulated, but unfortunately, at the moment the information on the city web site is down, I'm not sure why. It has been for several weeks.

If you need to call a taxi, the local number is 060609.

Here's information on current taxi fares: http://www.threemillennia.com/taxi-fares/

How early are the taxis at the taxi stands? We have an early train to go to Naples for the day and want to be at Termini by 6 AM so we need a taxi at about 5:45. We're close to Largo Argentina's taxi stand but should I order a taxi just in case?

Here's another little tidbit that might help you when using taxis in Europe.

Do NOT.... I repeat do NOT ever use any taxi in the line except the first one...... they line up and you are supposed to use the first one in line. It's their turn.

We found out the hard way and almost started a civil war :eek:

How early are the taxis at the taxi stands? We have an early train to go to Naples for the day and want to be at Termini by 6 AM so we need a taxi at about 5:45. We're close to Largo Argentina's taxi stand but should I order a taxi just in case?

I would call for one in a case like this, just to be sure. Of course, if you're near the stand, I guess you could go out five minutes earlier and see if there is one there and, if not, call at that point. If you are staying at a hotel, you can leave it to them to take care of.

Taxi rates may be regulated, but the different times of day, they get different rates.

We paid anywhere from $10-12 for the same 10 blocks to our hotel from Saint Peters square. Morning was $11, around 4:00 pm was $10 and around 6:00 pm was $12. It became quite a joke, as the hotel location didn't change, nor did Saint Peters square location change, but every time we took a cab, the fare was different.

If you call for a cab, they start the meter from where they are, not where you get picked up. So the rate should be a little better from the taxi stand, not calling a cab.

Lots of little differences in the cab rates and rules in Italy.

Taxi rates anywhere are based not only on distance but on time. So if you hit traffic, your fare will be higher even if you take the same route at the same time.

I take a taxi to the airport from my house multiple times a year (same route, same time of day), and the charge is never exactly the same. It can vary by as much as $4-5 on any given day.

For a taxi from the colloseum to piazza Navona it will probably be about ten euro max, From St. Peters it'll be alittle less.

Keep in mind that after 10 o'clock its already about five euro...It's a fee they charge you for the late night.

You can hail a cab easily if you see one ( play attention to the light above the cab, if its on they are free), The cues are also a good method but of course, you need to walk to one :)

Just like everywhere else in the world - take a look at the list for New York City cabs: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

Wow! That would be enough to keep me from using cabs in NYC. That's why I used a shared shuttle to/from airport and to/from cruise port.

We had a Graylines Hop On/Hop Off 48 hr pass for our local transportation.

One night we did hire a pedi-cab for $9, that was fun.

I'm spoiled in So Cal, I have my own car, never use taxis or public transport, so when we travel it is foreign.

Whatever you do, look for the meter in the taxi. We took a metered taxi from the Pantheon to the Vatican museums for under 10 euro. On the way back, we got into a taxi in front of St. Peter's and didn't notice that there was no meter. When I asked, the cab driver said, no meter - special price of 25 euro from Vatican City to anywhere in Rome. I said that was unacceptable as we had just paid 10 euro that morning. He then lowered the price to 20 euro but would go no lower. I told him that was not ok and to let us out immediately as I would not pay twice the going rate. He let us out within a block of getting in the taxi. I don't know if that's the rule for taxis within Vatican City or just a scam.

Moral of the story - look for a meter as soon as you get in.

I've had the same experience, back when it was lira. My daughter was tired and cranky so I didn't pay attention when we got into the taxi - I ended up paying about five times the proper rate!

Any good travel book will tell you - always set the price before you get in. Many taxis do not even use the meter....opting instead for a set price from A to B.

Dh is real good about that...... always asking "how much to ...." And if you do a bit of pre-planning, you can know ahead about how much it should be - so you know if you are getting "ripppppped off" :eek:

Information you should have with you, before getting into a taxi, if you are concerned: (from the City of Rome's web site, here: http://www.comune.roma.it/was/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_21L?menuPage=/Area_di_navigazione/Sezioni_del_portale/Dipartimenti_e_altri_uffici/Dipartimento_mobilit-13-_e_trasporti/Trasporto_pubb-9-_non_di_linea/TAXI/Tariffa_fissa_da_e_per_aeroporti/Fixed_rates_from_and_to_the_airports/)

Note at the bottom, if you are having a problem, pull out your cell phone and dial 060606.

ORDINARY TAXI FARES FOR ALL OTHER DESTINATIONS

ORDINARY FARE

Fixed charge upon entry: normal (from 7 a.m. to p.m.) Euro 2,80

sundays and holidays (from 7 a.m. ti 10 pm) Euro 4,00

night (from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.) Euro 5,80

SUPPLEMENTS

For every piece of luggage larger than 35x25x50 Centimetres Euro 1,00 the first is free.

AMOUNT OF EACH SINGLE UNIT Euro 0,10

RATE 1 : in - town ( within G.R.A. ring road) Price for kilometres Euro 0,92

at the speed of more than 20km/hour

RATE 2 : Out-of-town (beyond G.R.A. ring road) price for kilometre Euro 1,52

At the speed of less than 20km/hour, units are besed on time.

Average price for one hour Euro 23,70

infoblu.gifFor further information and/or reporting of problems:

» CHIAMAROMA 060606

» DIPARTIMENTO VII - POLITICHE DELLA MOBILITÀ DEL COMUNE DI ROMA

VIA CAPITAN BAVASTRO, 94 - 00154 ROMA

· Commission for Taxi Service Guarantee goto.jpg

· Public Relations Office e-mail: mobilita@comune.roma.it

· TAXI Office: 06671070844

ORDINARY TAXI FARES FOR ALL OTHER DESTINATIONS

ORDINARY FARE

Fixed charge upon entry: normal (from 7 a.m. to p.m.) Euro 2,80

sundays and holidays (from 7 a.m. ti 10 pm) Euro 4,00

night (from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.) Euro 5,80

SUPPLEMENTS

For every piece of luggage larger than 35x25x50 Centimetres Euro 1,00 the first is free.

AMOUNT OF EACH SINGLE UNIT Euro 0,10

RATE 1 : in - town ( within G.R.A. ring road) Price for kilometres Euro 0,92

RATE 2 : Out-of-town (beyond G.R.A. ring road) price for kilometre Euro 1,52

At the speed of less than 20km/hour, units are besed on time.

Average price for one hour Euro 23,70

infoblu.gifFor further information and/or reporting of problems:

» CHIAMAROMA 060606

» DIPARTIMENTO VII - POLITICHE DELLA MOBILITÀ DEL COMUNE DI ROMA

VIA CAPITAN BAVASTRO, 94 - 00154 ROMA

· Commission for Taxi Service Guarantee goto.jpg

· Public Relations Office e-mail: mobilita@comune.roma.it

· TAXI Office: 06671070844

Tee Hee....... The info on the website link makes sense - but this part reminds me of the old math problems.......if Suzy is going east at 2 mph and billy is going west at .5 mph and fred is standing still.......... hahahahahaha

• 1 year later...

Okay this may sound a tad crazy but we are doing a DIY kind of thing and were wondering what the cab fare would be between these places. I was thinking around 10$ each cab ride..

From the Coliseum to the Pantheon?

From the Supreme Court Building to St.Peters Basilica

thanks in advance

Okay this may sound a tad crazy but we are doing a DIY kind of thing and were wondering what the cab fare would be between these places. I was thinking around 10$ each cab ride..

From the Coliseum to the Pantheon? One and a half miles, more like 5 - 6 Euro.

From the Supreme Court Building to St.Peters Basilica The Palazzo di Giustizia to St. Peter's is only about three quarters of a mile, it's hardly worth getting a taxi.

see notes above

Archived