Runners who hate the treadmill...

Any advice on sticking to half marathon training plan while on board? We will be on a 14 night Caribbean cruise in January and I am a little nervous about running safely in some of the ports (Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Philipsburg (St. Maarten), AN; Half Moon Cay, Bahamas; Georgetown, Cayman Islands; Mahogany Bay, Honduras; Costa Maya, Mexico). Have any of you ran in any of these ports? Thanks!

Any advice on sticking to half marathon training plan while on board? We will be on a 14 night Caribbean cruise in January and I am a little nervous about running safely in some of the ports (Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Philipsburg (St. Maarten), AN; Half Moon Cay, Bahamas; Georgetown, Cayman Islands; Mahogany Bay, Honduras; Costa Maya, Mexico). Have any of you ran in any of these ports? Thanks!

I have not run is these ports. I also hate to train on the treadmill. I will be in some of these ports in the Western Caribbean in Feb. and I am training for the Boston Marathon in April so I am curious to hear if others have advice. I have to figure out how to get in 2 long runs, one 15 miles and one 13.1 miles while I am away. I can manage the shorter ones on the track if necessary.

Last year I did run on the NCL Pearl on the jogging track. We were in Alaska and we had great weather so I did the 5.5 miles around the track equals a mile more than I wanted but it was better than the treadmill.

Good luck with your half marathon and your training. Hopefully someone will have some advice for both of us.

I would think the only port that might be a bit "unsafe" in some areas would be parts of San Juan. You should invest in some quality maps though so you can plan routes that avoid the worst areas. You might also check out http://www.mapmyrun.com/ for routes or running clubs on the islands you visit.

Half Moon Cay is a "private island". Roatan (Mahoganey Bay) could be a bit "unsafe" if you run along the one road outside the cruise center. It is very narrow two way traffic with little or no shoulder. You'll go "crazy" trying to run lapsin side the MBCC and beach. Suggest you head for West Bay and run along the beach you can go quite a distance along both West Bay and West End beaches. Costa Maya, you can run along the road south from th eport to Mahahual, about 3 kilometers and then down the malecon on Mahahual and maybe along the road heading south of there ( there will be trafic not expecting you). Maya Chan is about 5 klicks south of the malecon, so you might be able to get in a good 12-15k RT there. In Georgetown, head left off the tender peir and head toward 7 mile Beach. Again a good long run, once on the beach area, very straight shot. I would find the traffic in Phillipsburg a bit tight for running. But see this site for ideas http://www.walkjogrun.net/running-routes/Netherlands%20Antilles/Sint%20Maarten/

First of all, congratulations and good luck JimSwims! Boston is quite the accomplishment!

Secondly, than you so much Crewsweeper! Your information was so helpful! Just what I was looking for:)

Thank you. I just got back from the NCL Gem and Bermuda. I am still getting treatment for a hip labrum tear so short distance running was all I could manage this week. So I ran the jogging track 4 days and completed a bit over 3 miles Monday, Tuesday, and Wed, and Saturday did over 4 miles. I was pleased with this. I was hoping to run the Railway Trail and the Fitness Trainer on-board is an experienced runner who was up for traking people on a run or 2 but the distance was longer than I was ready for.

Do not forget to ask the Fitness Staff on the ship you are sailing. They may know routes or maybe even have group runs.

Good Luck

• 5 months later...

This post is a little old, but incase anyone else is reading...I'm a marathon runner and a cruiser. I often find running routes in the places I'll be traveling by searching online running sites like run.com and runtheplanet.com (there are several, just google "running route" along with the name of your destination and most of the time, something will come up). For times when I cannot find a record of someone else's route, I use mapquest (or one of the running sites mentioned above) to create my own. If you can, try to stick near the shoreline (do an out and back) where you will a) not get lost and b) are more likely to be seen (ie. safe). You can also often find a loop around whatever city or town you will be visiting, or a park near by, i hate to do repeat loops, but sometimes that is necessary and when I'm desperate, I do use the "jogging track" aboard ship, though they are often not dedicated spaces and you end up dodging around other passengers. Still, I find people get used to me running laps and they begin to anticipate my reappearance, so they get out of the way! Hope this helps any fellow runners out there!

Thanks for sharing your advice! I just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam and kind of fell of my running plan:( I did have a rave run on Half Mood Cay....for sure would have made runner's world!

I was on an Eastern & Western Caribbean Route. I probably could have easily run in Grand Turk & San Juan. Costa Maya seemed a little shady to me. Roatan & St. Martin should be saved for a hills workout. We were out on a private boat all day in Grand Cayman, so I can't speak for that.

I ran on the treadmill more than the jogging track on board. There were a few days that were a little treacherous on the treadmill due to the ship's movement and location of the gym on the NA. Now that I am back to the frigid temps of MI I really wish I would have gotten more (non treadmill) runs in on the Islands.

What marathon are you training for now? Best of luck!

Want to combine cruising and running? I highly recommend checking out "Cruise to Run". They have an organised run/race on each island that the ship stops at. My wife and I have done the cruise three times now and will almost certainly go again.

I can't post a link but if you Google "cruise to run" you will easily find the site.

Want to combine cruising and running? I highly recommend checking out "Cruise to Run". They have an organised run/race on each island that the ship stops at. My wife and I have done the cruise three times now and will almost certainly go again.

I can't post a link but if you Google "cruise to run" you will easily find the site.

This is the cruise to run line up for 2013...Im seriously considering doing it next year.

January 27-February 3rd

Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas

Round trip out of San Juan, St. Croix, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados,

This post is a little old, but incase anyone else is reading...I'm a marathon runner and a cruiser. I often find running routes in the places I'll be traveling by searching online running sites like run.com and runtheplanet.com (there are several, just google "running route" along with the name of your destination and most of the time, something will come up). For times when I cannot find a record of someone else's route, I use mapquest (or one of the running sites mentioned above) to create my own. If you can, try to stick near the shoreline (do an out and back) where you will a) not get lost and b) are more likely to be seen (ie. safe). You can also often find a loop around whatever city or town you will be visiting, or a park near by, i hate to do repeat loops, but sometimes that is necessary and when I'm desperate, I do use the "jogging track" aboard ship, though they are often not dedicated spaces and you end up dodging around other passengers. Still, I find people get used to me running laps and they begin to anticipate my reappearance, so they get out of the way! Hope this helps any fellow runners out there!

Thank you. I appreciate the information. It turns out that I had to cancel my Feb. cruise so I can still train for the marathon locally. Keep running :D

• 1 year later...

I ran across this in a Google search while researching places to run, so I'm updating for future runner. I'm an ultra runner and half ironman (going full this year) finisher.

I was on the Noordam which did not have a dedicated track. Deck 10 is the unofficial place to run, but I never did. I do run the third deck which is the walking deck after hours. I was out after midnight and never saw a single person for all 10 laps. However since it is the walking deck I stayed to the outside, kept a chilled pace, and slowed for every turn to make sure it is clear. I was certainly not going to risk hurting anyone by being careless. Any actually training efforts were done in the gym.

I did decide to hold off on starting a training regime until I was back home so that all workouts were for pleasure. There is a lot less stress that way. Alternative methods of cardio can be used when the dreadmill becomes too much to handle. Water jogging, elliptical, ans stationary bike.

Grand Turk felt safe for the 7 miles I ran. You are running on the side of the road, but I didn't feel that there would be a threat* to my safety.

Half Moon Cay is a private island, no safety issues. There is a 1k asphalt path that while boring is good for training. Or you can run the beach. Feel free to substitute swimming here for a run.

I also ran Caracao, Samana, Aruba and Bonaire. You may question safety of Caracao and Samana. Aruba was fine for the short distance I ran (3.5'ish). Bonaire seemed fine for the 6.5'ish miles I ran.

I have not run is these ports. I also hate to train on the treadmill. I will be in some of these ports in the Western Caribbean in Feb. and I am training for the Boston Marathon in April so I am curious to hear if others have advice. I have to figure out how to get in 2 long runs, one 15 miles and one 13.1 miles while I am away. I can manage the shorter ones on the track if necessary.

Last year I did run on the NCL Pearl on the jogging track. We were in Alaska and we had great weather so I did the 5.5 miles around the track equals a mile more than I wanted but it was better than the treadmill.

Good luck with your half marathon and your training. Hopefully someone will have some advice for both of us.

You can always replace a treadmill with an elliptical or stationary bike. In the off hours there was not a lot of demand for the gym.

*My definition of safe is different then most. So make your own evaluation.

• 5 weeks later...