Silhouette Wine Selection?

starman4000

We're leaving on the Silhouette soon and I've been searching the posts to try to find out the differences in the wines available between the classic and premium alcohol packages. I know the price cutoff, but can't find a list. Maybe they change often? The value of the premium package to us would be what wines it made a difference for. I guess we can always wait until we're on board, but we're excited to go and curious to know.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're leaving on the Silhouette soon and I've been searching the posts to try to find out the differences in the wines available between the classic and premium alcohol packages. I know the price cutoff, but can't find a list. Maybe they change often? The value of the premium package to us would be what wines it made a difference for. I guess we can always wait until we're on board, but we're excited to go and curious to know.

Thanks!

We gave the same question - we sail in March.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Inventories remain relatively constant across the fleet, however, you may find that certain varieties of wine on specific ships on specific itineraries may not be available. I would recommend probably looking at the wine list on the first day or two of your cruise, inquire about the availability of specific wines that interest you, and decide if upgrading makes more sense for you.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by vulcan1971

Thanks!

We recently sailed on the Equinox and with the 1,2,3 package oyu get the classic package. As a wine educator, writer, collector,etc, I'm very picky on my selections and also had questions as to whether to add the premium package.

We found the classic was quite sufficient. First, the by the glass selections

were not much better with the premium. Also, the discount on buying bottles

of better wine by the bottle were not that much as to make up the difference in the total of daily add-on cost of the premium. We did just fine we thought.

It's possible that this ship might have some selction differences, but I would wait and see; that's what we'll do on our May 3rd cruise on Silhouette.

We recently sailed on the Equinox and with the 1,2,3 package oyu get the classic package. As a wine educator, writer, collector,etc, I'm very picky on my selections and also had questions as to whether to add the premium package.

We found the classic was quite sufficient. First, the by the glass selections

were not much better with the premium. Also, the discount on buying bottles

of better wine by the bottle were not that much as to make up the difference in the total of daily add-on cost of the premium. We did just fine we thought.

It's possible that this ship might have some selction differences, but I would wait and see; that's what we'll do on our May 3rd cruise on Silhouette.

On Reflection, we found that most of the classic wine selections were out-of-stock and were substituted with other bottles not on the list.

Wait until you are on board, and then talk to the sommelier. Let them know what you are looking for and see if upgrading makes sense. That is what we did and the sommelier did not recommend upgrading for us.

I agree with the previous poster. We decided that a week of so-so wine wasn't going to kill us and upgrading didn't make a whole lot of sense, nor was a better wine (not even available on the premium) going to make a difference to the enjoyment of our cruise. Think of it as a week of dining at a friend's house and their wine selection doesn't thrill you.

YMMV - have a great cruise! But don't fret about availability/upgrades until you are onboard and can see what is available.

We sail on Reflection in March and I cannot find online where to book the wine package for 5 bottles f.e.

The only offer is classic or premium wine with no bottle information.

Any advise where to book or does it not make sense to book in advance?

Thanks a lot!

Here is a link to a post from last spring. Selections might have changed but this should be representative of what you'll find. Note this is a sailing from the UK and prices, and package limits, were adjusted to reflect the gratuity being included in the menu price:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44321241&postcount=9

How's the Celebrity Cellar Masters selection?

Also, is the wine cellar room/bar on Reflection still operating? I hear conflicting reports (maybe it's that it's operating, but the machines are not being utilized any more?), as I understand that did have a larger wine by glass list.

From this list, the Freemark Abbey Cabernet looks best to me...maybe the Dry Creek Old Vine Zin might be nice. I know among the wines I am taking with me is a 10+ year old Duckhorn Merlot that I've been waiting to savor and either a Jordan 1999 Cabernet or an Opus 2005. I am somewhat tempted to take a Caymus Special Selection, but may save that here...sounds like the one they have on board is reasonably well priced, if I were to go in that direction.

Edited by soxfan2013

Here is a link to a post from last spring. Selections might have changed but this should be representative of what you'll find. Note this is a sailing from the UK and prices, and package limits, were adjusted to reflect the gratuity being included in the menu price:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44321241&postcount=9

Just to make it clear: I believe this list was from the main dining room wine list. Selection of wines by the glass in lounges will not likely be as large as this.

Can someone please enlighten me:

If we take an alcoholic beverage package, do you use your ship key or do you get a separate card with the package loaded onto it?

Tks - Melanie

Ship key. It will have a code printed on it or a sticker affixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, we're back - and it was wonderful! Here's our beverage experience:

The classic would be acceptable for many people, but the premium was definitely worth it for us. One big advantage is that we loved sitting at the Martini Bar and you can only sit there with a premium package. The martinis are much larger and the bar is a lot of fun, probably the best nightlife of the ship. The other big advantage is that we liked the more expensive cabernet better (covered in premium, not in classic) but even then we really liked the old vine zin. It was $14.50/glass. If you have the premium package, you can simply pay the difference over the $13 limit, so we paid $1.50 for each glass. If you have classic, you pay the full price of the drink if it's above the limit of the package. Here is the wine list for dinner:

IMG_1114.jpg.3f35ef1481ada385a6bc139aa23bed94.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg.dab301ed6cfe35487f78147916e9e92f.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg.65d8d7d119d547e84690291242777f9b.jpg

You don't need the Premium package to sit at the Martini bar. They serve wines, beer & cocktails that are covered by the Classis package. The Classis package does not cover the large Martinis, but they normally have a selection of 2 or 3 small Martinis that are covered.

You don't need the Premium package to sit at the Martini bar. They serve wines, beer & cocktails that are covered by the Classis package. The Classis package does not cover the large Martinis, but they normally have a selection of 2 or 3 small Martinis that are covered.

I stand corrected as I should have said to have a martini at the martini bar but it was VERY rare that I saw anyone there drinking wine or beer. Thanks for the note.

It probably wouldn't be worth it to upgrade solely for wine, since, as someone already noted, there's not a whole lot of difference in the selection available under the premium package that isn't available under the classic. And neither selection is all that great. If you're a big wine person, just stick with the classic and pay for special wines/order your preferred bottles separately.

Okay, we're back - and it was wonderful! Here's our beverage experience:

The classic would be acceptable for many people, but the premium was definitely worth it for us. One big advantage is that we loved sitting at the Martini Bar and you can only sit there with a premium package. The martinis are much larger and the bar is a lot of fun, probably the best nightlife of the ship. The other big advantage is that we liked the more expensive cabernet better (covered in premium, not in classic) but even then we really liked the old vine zin. It was $14.50/glass. If you have the premium package, you can simply pay the difference over the $13 limit, so we paid $1.50 for each glass. If you have classic, you pay the full price of the drink if it's above the limit of the package. Here is the wine list for dinner:

Thanks Starman. I can't seem to read the Thumbnails. Any chance you could email them to me?

We just returned from the February 8 Western Caribbean Cruise. Our arrangements included the Classic Drinks Package.

On board we quickly realized the Premium Package was the only way to go if you enjoyed wine and did not want to buy it by the bottle. It cost an additional $10 per person per day and was well worth it, but you still had quite a limited selection in most bars and restaurants on the ship.

As noted earlier you need it to get a drink at the Martini Bar but also at the amazing Molecular Bar.

As far as wine bars go there really isn't a decent affordable one on the Silhouette and the current Passport bar which has a limited but reasonable wine selection, but a great premium beer selection, is apparently slated for transformation into a WorldClass bar of some kind, so the selection may change again.

Also keep in mind that if you dine in a specialty restaurant on the ship and you only have the Classic Package there will be no wines that are part of the package. And if you dine in the Lawn Grill there will be only one red wine that is even covered by the Premium Package.

It probably wouldn't be worth it to upgrade solely for wine, since, as someone already noted, there's not a whole lot of difference in the selection available under the premium package that isn't available under the classic. And neither selection is all that great. If you're a big wine person, just stick with the classic and pay for special wines/order your preferred bottles separately.

I politely disagree. If you look at the posted red wine menu for the mdr, there are 5 wines included in the classic package, with an additional six included in the premium package. So your choice more than doubled. To me, that makes it worth it to upgrade.

I think there are three types of wine drinkers in the world

1. Those who order white or red. The classic package is perfect for these people.

2. Those who know what varietals they like, but wouldn't consider themselves wine snobs. The premium package is a great choice.

3. Wine snobs (said with love, I fall between this category and number 2). Premium package may work, or people may be unsatisfied with the choices and want to choose from the very large bottle selection.

• 2 months later...
The one thing we noticed is that that there are not many pinot noir's available on the classic. Anyone familiar with this? Will definitely make a difference on what we do.

One of my concerns also! Only Pinot Noir I remember was Ponzi , which is good

Oregon Pinot. I may try to bring a couple of really good ones from my wine cellar-like Ken Wright, Cristom, a Casa Marin from Chile, Felton Road (NZ) or

one of my old Leroy Burgundies

We just returned from the February 8 Western Caribbean Cruise. Our arrangements included the Classic Drinks Package.

On board we quickly realized the Premium Package was the only way to go if you enjoyed wine and did not want to buy it by the bottle. It cost an additional $10 per person per day and was well worth it, but you still had quite a limited selection in most bars and restaurants on the ship.

As noted earlier you need it to get a drink at the Martini Bar but also at the amazing Molecular Bar.

As far as wine bars go there really isn't a decent affordable one on the Silhouette and the current Passport bar which has a limited but reasonable wine selection, but a great premium beer selection, is apparently slated for transformation into a WorldClass bar of some kind, so the selection may change again.

Also keep in mind that if you dine in a specialty restaurant on the ship and you only have the Classic Package there will be no wines that are part of the package. And if you dine in the Lawn Grill there will be only one red wine that is even covered by the Premium Package.

I respectfully disagree.

When we were on the Silhouette in March, you did not need to have the premium package to get a drink at the Martini Bar. If you wanted a beer, wine or cocktail you could order that, or you could have a smaller version of the Appletini or Cosmo. You only needed the premium package if you wanted to order one of the larger specialty martinis. But you could still have a drink there on the classic package.

Also, we ate at the Lawn Club Grill twice and were served merlot, pinot grigio and shiraz there under the Classic package. They seemed to have the same selections as the dining room had on our cruise.

Perhaps it differs by voyage but it was definitely not difficult to get a wine or other drink from the classic package at any venue, with no attempts to upsell us to the premium package after the first day on board.