Holland America Line Now Serves A New Vegetarian-Only Alternative Menu

CtheW0rld

The article didn't mention if you still have to order off of the vegetarian menu the night before, as my brother had to do on a cruise we took a few years ago. On my recent cruise on the Veendam, there was always at least one vegetarian alternative on our MDR dinner menu every night.

Thanks, OP, for posting the link. Some of us -- and I speak from firsthand knowledge :o:o:o -- are struggling with newly diagnosed diabetes, are mortally fearful of the prospect of insulin injections, and are therefore much more attentive to what we eat. The temptation is enormous to declare a dietary holiday during the Christmas season and on "special" occasions like a cruise. This initiative on HAL's part is welcome news.

Of course, vegetarian and even vegan dishes are not necessarily low-fat or low-calorie or low-carbohydrate. So, I'm resolved to exercise both restraint in MDA and myself in the fitness center! I wonder, do the menus list the number of carbs per serving for the vegeterian/vegan options?

P.S. This is what I thought the "Healthy Cruising" thread was going to be about.

Just looked at the site. Love the sound of many of the dishes. Will definitely be trying many of the dishes out, even if I'm not a vegetarian. Hopefully the menu will be available on our upcoming cruise. Might even get my DH to try one.

I've often ordered the vegetarian entree in the MDR and it's always been wonderful, often better than what my tablemates have chosen. No fear of a tough cut of meat! Looking forward to the expanded selection in November/December on the Oodam.

This is great to know - thanks a lot for sharing! Wow, some of those dishes sound delicious. It's interesting that you have to specially request the menu. It would be great to find out if you can just do that in-the-moment in the MDR, or whether you have to do it ahead of time somehow.

I'm not vegetarian but eat a large amount of veggies. More than 3/4 of my diet is veggie so this is good news to me. I have noticed and commented here that on recent cruises, there have been a number of vegetarian offerings on the regular MDR dinner menu but when they load it with cream/butter sauces, bread crumbs and other high fat, high calorie, empty carbs, it becomes less appealing to me.

The trick, IMO, is to do as Petronillus and I wish for......... keep it low calorie and healthful. These wonderful chefs have that talent and imagination so I hope it happens.

Food can be delicious, moderately priced, and healthful. Seems these days more and more people seek that.

From the Press Release:

<snip>

The savory collection of dishes on the new vegetarian-only menu include Portobello Mushroom and Chipotle Quesadillas, Vietnamese Vegetable Spring Rolls, Curried Vegetable Empanadas, Spicy Lentil and Garbanzo Salad, Sweet and Sour Vegetable Tempura, Vegetable Jambalaya, Grilled Vegetable and Tofu Kebobs, and Baked Cheese Polenta with Mushrooms and Artichoke Hearts.

Everyone of those things sound delicious to me.... except maybe not the Baked Cheese Polenta. :o I might skip that one. :D

Fantastic! There are five of us travelling on the Zuiderdam in May 2013, and the three of us who are vegetarians will much appreciate this. Not that I had any trouble eating vegetarian on a past HAL cruise. As other have said, the vegetarian options in the MDR ususally are quite good, and I ate a great vegetarian meal in the Pinnacle.

This is great, since I like to eat mostly vegetarian. I'm wondering why there is a separate menu and not just more veg dishes added to the main menu? Is it bad form to ask for both menus?

There have been more vegetarian choices added to the regular menu in recent months. It don't think it's 'bad form' to ask for both menus. No reason anyone should mind. IMO

We found the Noordam's vegetarian options to be quite good, fresh and flavorful. When the meat dishes did not appeal to us, we opted for the veggie dishes, many times including pasta. Was a good choice each time. I am happy to see them do this. :)

The article didn't mention if you still have to order off of the vegetarian menu the night before' date=' as my brother had to do on a cruise we took a few years ago. On my recent cruise on the Veendam, there was always at least one vegetarian alternative on our MDR dinner menu every night.[/quote']

On our recent Hawaii Circle/Oosterdam, my wife utilized the vegetarian menu most nights but she had to order the night before (our server brought it while we were having dessert). Generally, if memory serves (and sometimes doesn't), there were three appetizers, three entrees, and other items which were the same each night.

The standard menu usually had one vegetarian entree, at least one no-meat soup, and salads changed each night and also was reported to be delicious. We were very impressed by the care that went into these meals.

I'm wondering why there is a separate menu and not just more veg dishes added to the main menu? Is it bad form to ask for both menus?

If it was they wouldn't have two :D

Question is: is it bad form for an omnivore to order form the vegetarian menu? :D

• 1 year later...

Archived