dress code policies

rrohring1970

I recently went on a carnival cruise and was appauled at the lack of the dress code enforcement for supper. It clearly stated no flip flops or shorts. With an understanding that you take your ball caps off at the dinner table. That is just common manners. But there were so many guys (all the ladies were in dresses) in flip flops and ball caps and shorts that I was disgusted every night I went to supper. It is only a couple of days on the cruise and guys can't get dressed up just for 5 days to be with their ladies? What happened to manners and dignity? No one enforced the dress code policy at all. Why even have one if you are not going to enforce it?

No I am not some old miser. I am 43 years old and raised with manners and discipline. I am a former Army Ranger and discipline is a big thing to me. If you can't dress up for your lady just a couple of days of the year (and she gets dressed up for it) than she doesn't deserve you. Have some dignity.

Is there a cruise line that actually enforces the dress code policy? I have been on 9 different cruises and this last one just made me not want to do carnival again. Any suggestions?

The general trend in cruising has been towards casual and Carnival is one of the most casual lines (Norwegian and Royal Caribbean would also fall in the casual zone). Cunard is the most formal line I can think of; Celebrity and Holland America also tend to have a significantly larger percentage of passengers dress up (as well as some enforcement of a dress code by staff on occasions). With Carnival, Norwegian and Royal the dress code is more a "suggestion" than an actual code.

It is a huge pet peeve of mine and my man to see other couples where the woman is all dressed up and the man is all dressed down, regardless of the location or occasion. Drives us crazy. We dress up every single night of the cruise, regardless of the cruise line or what night it is. We enjoy it and feel good. We just have to shake our heads at the other situations we see. I do wish the lines would enforce the dresscode more. I never saw flipflops on my last cruise with Royal, but definitely saw jeans or cargo shorts in the MDR.

It's just a shame, really. We try to ignore it all and just enjoy ourselves. Then WE get the looks for dressing nicely. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I have avoided cruises because of the dress code that used to dominate. I agree with the comments about wearing baseball caps and flip flops. We live in a world that has lost manners generally so I think that we all see lots of people who don't have a sense for how to behave or dress in ways that reflects well on them. That goes for both genders.

We are going on a Disney Cruise in May 2014 and will dress business casual - khakis and collared shirts (we are a gay couple). If we don't want to dress casual, we will go to another dining venue or have room service.

Look at Regent, Windstar, and Paul Gauguin. All have a smart casual every night dress code, and they enforce it--although with the type of guests they attract, there really is no enforcement needed as people understand and follow what is requested on their own.

You are not CCL material .No need for a luxury ship to enjoy good food and a good cruise experience in a refined setting. Try Princess, Celebrity . If you are over 75, maybe HAL. Also Oceania, somewhat between premium and luxury brackets.

• 1 month later...

We are going on Independence of the Seas in June 2014. This will be our first cruise and are really looking forward to it. It will also be our 30th wedding anniversary. I have already bought a tuxedo and a suit, and may buy another suit and a blazer too. My wife is buying some lovely outfits/dresses to wear in the evenings. It will be my intention to wear a tie every evening we are on the cruise.

Normally when at home and not working we are in jeans t-shirts tracksuit bottoms etc. so when on holiday we will be treating dressing up for dinner as part of the fun.

If anyone wants to look and stare, carry on. Its our holiday and we intend to enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I did notice last month on the Celebrity Millennium that there were more guys (including me) wearing tuxes for Formal nights. Also, I saw them actually turn someone away at dinner wearing a collarless shirt. MY hat's off to the staff member that enforced this!

• 1 month later...
Look at Regent, Windstar, and Paul Gauguin. All have a smart casual every night dress code, and they enforce it--although with the type of guests they attract, there really is no enforcement needed as people understand and follow what is requested on their own.

But why should I have to pay those kinds of prices just to not see morons in the MDR on a formal night with blue jeans and tee shirt? The written dress codes are pretty simple, if you don't want to dress accordingly, there are other venues. I think the cruise lines show a disrespect for all the passengers who make the effort to have a special evening when they allow this.

I liken this to the ridiculous size carry on stuff the airlines allow to be crammed in bins, in that they are so afraid of "insulting" someone that they just keep their head up their butts, and allow rampant violations of their rules.

Edited by MermaidWatcher

But why should I have to pay those kinds of prices just to not see morons in the MDR on a formal night with blue jeans and tee shirt? The written dress codes are pretty simple, if you don't want to dress accordingly, there are other venues. I think the cruise lines show a disrespect for all the passengers who make the effort to have a special evening when they allow this.

I liken this to the ridiculous size carry on stuff the airlines allow to be crammed in bins, in that they are so afraid of "insulting" someone that they just keep their head up their butts.

Maybe the question is then, why do you keep sailing lines that you feel are disrespectful to you?

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

• 7 months later...

I've never really noticed a lot of shorts or hats in the MDR. Then again, I'm not studying people that closely. More focused on who I'm with and the food than being insulted by others' choice of attire. I've paid a little more attention on elegant nights to get a better feel for how dressed up everyone is, but really love that there is a range of dress. I felt like everyone could be comfortable. I've worn from a normal, somewhat casual dress to a long gown & felt in place every time. I'd prefer this than somewhere that had strict super fancy dress codes. It's pretty clear that carnival is a much more casual cruise than a lot of other lines. Sounds like you'd be more comfortable on a different line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For those of you who have been demanding lower and lower cruise fares - you should have been more careful about what you wished for.

The Cruise Line CEOs were listening, and they gave you the lower fares you wanted - despite rapidly escalating operating costs.

How did they manage to do that, you ask?

Easy. They cut back on service staff who were not directly responsible for increasing onboard revenues, and replaced them with staff who directly increase onboard revenues, in order to cover the losses we incur with your lower fares.

Who were those service staff who were cut?

Waiters and cabin stewards. They provide service - but do not directly make any profits for us.

Now their beds are being used by tooth whiteners, acupuncturists, barbers, B&W Photographers, Art Auctioneers, Florists, Shop Staff, Cellarmasters, etc.

Why should this matter to you?

Because we no longer have enough service staff to cover dining rooms, specialty restaurants, buffets, and room service all at the same time.

On busy nights, staff needs to be pulled from buffets and room service to have enough staff in the dining rooms to prevent long delays for your food.

If we refuse service to badly dressed slobs trying to get into the dining room, they will need to eat somewhere else. We MUST feed all of you somewhere.

But if these badly dressed people go to the buffet or call room service, there are no longer enough staff there to take care of them, and the other passengers who chose those options.

How do we fix this problem?

We pull wait staff from the dining room to handle them, meaning that the diners in the dining room will have to wait one hour between courses. They will miss the evenings entertainment and get very upset with us.

Any questions?