International Driver's Licence Required?

Scoobs9

Does anyone know for sure whether you are required to get an international driver's licence to rent a car for a day in France (LeHavre)?

We are Canadian.

Thanks for any information!

The car rental company generally doesn't care. But the cops do if you get stopped.

I always have read the same. I know in Greece you will get a three-figure fine if you do not have one. For the minimal price ($15), I get one from my local AAA office so I do not have to worry.

We have been renting cars in Europe for about forty years and have never been asked for an International Drivers Permit (it is not really a license). Last month we rented in France (for a month) with no problems. However, in Italy it is a technical requirement although it is seldom to ever enforced or an issue. Most other countries are quite happy if you have a license that is in English. As to Greece, we have rented in that country numerous times and nobody asked (or wanted to see) an International Drivers Permit. However, it is always possible that a policeman might create an issue although we have little concern. We used to get those International Drivers Permits at AAA, but stopped years ago when we realized that nobody wanted the darn thi

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The car rental company generally doesn't care. But the cops do if you get stopped.

I agree but would say the cops may care if you are stopped. We have always gotten one, it is pretty stupid actually as it only requires $15 at AAA, no test no nothing.

• 2 weeks later...