Passport Renewal Info

wolfcathorse

Please don't post to this thread your experience from 5, 2, or even 1 year ago. This is current info as applies to NOW, for passport renewals from Michigan, in May 2014. Any other experience you may have will be irrelevant or old news.

Passport #1

sent to Philadelphia via priority mail 4-29-14

received by Philadelphia 5-1-14

cost - $110.00

received back 6-12-14

Passport #2

sent to Philadelphia via priority mail 4-30-14

received by Philadelphia 5-2-14

cost - $110.00

received back 6-7-14

received old passport back (with 2 holes punched through it) 6-12-14

I don't know if ALL renewals go to Philadelphia. That's the address on the form I downloaded from the website and it's the same address that's on the form you can pick up at either your local post office or county clerk.

It may be helpful if someone on the west coast can post here, where their renewal was sent to and how long it took to get back.

I've had people tell me "oh, they'll just add pages" (nope, not in 2014), then they confessed that was 5 years ago. Some have mentioned they never got their old one back (I photocopied my pages as a momento if this was going to be the case) perhaps it got lost in the mail or they did get it back but posted that they hadn't before they did. :o

In conclusion, the instructions say it could take 4-6 weeks to receive your renewed passport. In our case, passports sent in the beginning of May took til the end of the second week of June to be received. Plan your needs accordingly!

...... and then consider yourself lucky that you don't live in the UK...... they leaked pictures of the temporary storage facilities at the main passport office when people realised that their paid for extra fast renewals were actually being held up for weeks..... it's chaos here.....

We *plan* to go to the Detroit Passport office next month to renew.

Theoretically, it will take a very short time by going direct to the office.

By posting, subscribing will remind me that I need to post the experience next month.

Our new passport numbers must be fairly close. We did the same thing to the same address on 4/15 with similar wait times. Sent from California.

I don't think the State matters anymore - mail renewals go to Philly.

Yes, it is believed that all renewals going thru Philadelphia now, or so I was told at my local post office.

Thank you informing all of us that it takes roughly 6 weeks, since we have a cruise booked for November, with passports that expire in September.

I already have it on my to-do list to do next month... so I will not be patiently stalking my postman for my passports! :-)

Thanks for the tip!

...also, for the person that might go in person to renew - double check with your local passport office, you may have to make an appointment!

By posting, subscribing will remind me that I need to post the experience next month.

Even if you go to the office, don't they still have to mail it off?

I mailed my renewal on May 23rd, they have cashed the check. I also sent to Philadelphia. My passport also expiring in September, but will need in November. Mine has a name change so I wanted to give it plenty of time. In the past I have received my old passport back, I hope I do this time. I think it said you will receive your old passport back separate from the new passport.

I have a general passport question.

My youngest daughter's passport is expired. She got it as a child and it was only good for 5 years. She needs a new one, but would it be considered a renewal or do you apply as an adult getting a new passport?

I do know before you go in person you need to call them to schedule an appt.

I do believe they still have to mail it in.

That's what I thought. Does it process any faster then?

I'm in a quandary since mine expires in July, but I'm considering travel in July or August. If I send it off now I for sure can't travel in July & maybe not even in August if it takes 6 weeks.:(

I have a general passport question.

My youngest daughter's passport is expired. She got it as a child and it was only good for 5 years. She needs a new one, but would it be considered a renewal or do you apply as an adult getting a new passport?

All explained on the State dept site . .

When one has previously held a CHILD passport, and now applies for a 'regular' passport ... it is processed as a NEW passport.

BUT you are not clear ... does she NOW qualify for an 'adult' passport?

I've not heard of child renewals . . . but DO know of kids who traveled at 1 or 2 years of age . . . so a child renewal is possible . . .

inquiring minds want to know

I'm in a quandary since mine expires in July, but I'm considering travel in July or August. If I send it off now I for sure can't travel in July & maybe not even in August if it takes 6 weeks.:(

Depending on the counties you plan I. Visiting, you might not be able to travel now even with the unexpired PP. Many countries require at least six months validity after the date you are supposed to return to the US.

My daughter got her first passport at age 3. We have renewed hers twice. In another year, when she's 18, it'll expire, so her next one will be an adult one that'll be good for ten years. So the answer (from an experienced parent) is that while they're under 16, each time it's considered a renewal.

But you as parents both have to go with the child in person to apply (or otherwise follow the US passport website about the exceptions).

Edited by Cruisin' Chick

Consider the expedited service; it will cost you an additional $60 fee, but it will assure quicker processing.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/expedited.html

If you are near Miami and can prove travel within several weeks, you can make an appointment at the Miami agency site to renew (expedite fees apply, too). Supposedly, you get the passport in about 8 days.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies/miami.html

My paperwork for standard processing was submitted on April 28th at the local passport office in Virginia; mailed priority. Processing at the time was supposed to be 4 weeks. It arrived in Philadelphia on May 5th (Don't know if it was the post office or the passport facility that caused the delay). Received new passport and passport card on June 7th, so the time frame from mailing until new passport arrived was just shy of 6 weeks. Old passport has not yet been returned.

DH's most recent renewal time.

Sent in his renewal application to Philadelphia on April 21. Check was cashed on April 29. I kept checking on line and kept getting the same information about it being processed. Finally on May 31 he got his new passport - came from Connecticut!!

I had put a note on his old passport that he would like to have it back. It came back on June 7.

I renewed mine last December and got it back in 10 days.

Have no idea why his took so long.

My final post about this...I got my old one back today (June 14) so our experience is complete now. It's good to know that all renewals are sent to Philly. To the person who posted they had a name change and sent theirs in for renewal, I was told by a County Clerk that you have to do it as a new passport because of the name change. She is confusing because the renewal application says if you send in all the documentation for the name change you can. To Eric in Detroit....I'm not driving 4 hours to Detroit to what $1.56 in postage did! LOL

To all, safe travels with your new passports! They are prettier than the one I got 10 years ago!

My final post about this...I got my old one back today (June 14) so our experience is complete now. It's good to know that all renewals are sent to Philly. To the person who posted they had a name change and sent theirs in for renewal, I was told by a County Clerk that you have to do it as a new passport because of the name change. She is confusing because the renewal application says if you send in all the documentation for the name change you can. To Eric in Detroit....I'm not driving 4 hours to Detroit to what $1.56 in postage did! LOL

To all, safe travels with your new passports! They are prettier than the one I got 10 years ago!

My old one came in the mail today, too! It arrived a week after the new passport.

Initially all passport applications get sent to the National Passport Processing Center,Post Office Box 90155.Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155. However once received at the Philadelphia PA National Passport Processing Center it can than be sent to anyone of the numerous passport processing offices throughout the U.S. depending on processing load at that time.

For example sent my application to the Philadelphia address as instructed /stated on the actual application. By the US Post Mark on the return envelope when passport was actually received mine was processed in Portsmouth, NH despite that the application was initially sent to Philadelphia.

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 1 month later...

Went to Detroit Passport office on July 18. $110 renewal + $65 expidited fee (I think- but its required if one uses the office).

Could have chosen to pick them up later that day.

But delivered to our home on July 25.

Pretty easy.

My daughter got her first passport at age 3. We have renewed hers twice. In another year' date=' when she's 18, it'll expire, so her next one will be an adult one that'll be good for ten years. So the answer (from an experienced parent) is that while they're under 16, each time it's considered a renewal.

But you as parents both have to go with the child in person to apply (or otherwise follow the US passport website about the exceptions).[/quote']

In Canada at least, the child's first 'adult passport' is a new application. You cannot 'renew' from child to adult. As well, in Canada, they will not issue a 10 year passport to anyone under the age of 25.

Hi, I just had a name change and used the expedited process and got my new passport in less than 2 weeks:) I got my old one back about a week after that.Cost a bit more but totally worth it.

I mailed our passport renewal on July 1 received my new passport July 29, still waiting for old passport to be returned and hubby's renewal passport.

For those still waiting for their passports or renewals to arrive there has been a delay due to a computer glitch.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/glitch-crashes-global-us-passport-visa-operations-24687832

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for our passport. Mailed second week in July....anyone else still having passport issues? We did not do expedite, but we are surprised at the length of time to return to us. We know it got there because they cashed our check. :).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app