Adventure Ocean non english speaking child

Hi anybody have experience with using Adventure Ocean club for child that does not speak much English? Our DD is 8 year and 11 months when we sail, and knows some words, but not enough to speak or understand full sentences? Will she be able to go to the program? She is a very fast learner.

Kari

I'd recommend taking her to the orientation and talking to the Adventure Ocean crew. Let them know that she can't speak much English, but she picks things up pretty quick. They can advise you on what activities will be best for your daughter (and might even have a crew member fluent in your daughter's first language... Norwegian?). I'd suggest starting her slow - take her to an activity or two the first day, then check back up on her and see how she's doing.

I'd recommend taking her to the orientation and talking to the Adventure Ocean crew. Let them know that she can't speak much English, but she picks things up pretty quick. They can advise you on what activities will be best for your daughter (and might even have a crew member fluent in your daughter's first language... Norwegian?). I'd suggest starting her slow - take her to an activity or two the first day, then check back up on her and see how she's doing.

Yes she speaks Norwegian, and will understand Swedish :) Thank you both for answering. Will do as advised. :) First time on cruise with a child, but I'm sure she will do fine. Thanks again! Now I will need to find out how to get both your messages in my reply :) I'm still learning:)

Kari

Yes she speaks Norwegian, and will understand Swedish :) Thank you both for answering. Will do as advised. :) First time on cruise with a child, but I'm sure she will do fine. Thanks again! Now I will need to find out how to get both your messages in my reply :) I'm still learning:)

Kari

If you want to quote more than one message, you need to click on the multi-quote icon (next to the quote icon) for the first one or more. When you are ready to quote, just click "quote" on the last one.

I suspect she'll greatly expand her understanding of English after a week at Adventure Ocean. The kids will probably enjoy explaining her new words. And in the 6 to 8 year olds, most of the other kids should be innocent enough. lol

MissMagic is right - Talking to the Adventure Ocean crew and pinpointing the best activities (those with lots of nonverbal components) are excellent ideas! Ask that the adults in the program make an effort to use/model lots of non-verbal components in their communication with the kids - facial expression, gestures, body language, pointing, etc. and that they encourage the other kids to do the same. (All of us do these things anyway, but making the staff aware that there's a child with a linguistic difference is important.) The kids won't be able to discuss rocket science with these techniques, but they will find that basic communication works pretty well with emphasis on the non-verbal elements.

You could also suggest that the crew might be able to make this a game or activity for the kids in the group - like teaching each other words/phrases in each others' languages, learning the names for places on the ship, objects in the AO room, etc. Kids her age would still be pretty receptive to that idea, and she may make some friends who will be fascinated by the idea of a language exchange. It's a great opportunity for the kids to learn about each other's culture and language in an informal and fun setting.

Don't be afraid of this situation for your daughter! Talk to her beforehand and make sure she's willing to try, be sure she doesn't feel pressured or left out, and listen to her feedback about her experiences in AO. It really can be a great experience for everyone if they can be open to new experiences and the adults are willing to model some effective non-verbal communication behaviors.

Judy

Most of the personell at AO is bi or multi lingual. Orientation is a great idea to discover staff backgrounds and language abilities.

My daughter went to AO on one cruise and met a little girl named Maria from Mexico. My daughter does not speak Spanish, nor did Maria speak any English- yet by the end of the week they were best friends hugging and crying when it was time to say goodbye.

I am of the opinion that children are much more adept at overcoming these types of 'obstacles' than we adults are! In any case, the staff will do their best to keep her involved and help her communicate- and willl report any issues to you at pick up time.

I hope you all have a wonderful time and she has fun. I am sure she will find someone who will be interested in trading the English word for 'chair, table' and so on for the Sweedish words.

I have a 6 and 8 year old and we just got of Oasis. They loved the kids area. There was a lot of active games like crazy tag and dodge ball. Easy directions. I'm sure they will find someone to help her out. I know my children would have intrigued by her and would have loved to help her out. The crew leading the kids area are a wonderful bunch, very friendly. They really try to get everyone involved. They can give you a pager and call you if she is not having fun.

If you want to quote more than one message, you need to click on the multi-quote icon (next to the quote icon) for the first one or more. When you are ready to quote, just click "quote" on the last one.

Thank you!!:) Giving it a go now :D

I suspect she'll greatly expand her understanding of English after a week at Adventure Ocean. The kids will probably enjoy explaining her new words. And in the 6 to 8 year olds, most of the other kids should be innocent enough. lol

:) Maybe she will learn some interesting words ;) We are going on a trip with my American cousin in a few weeks, and I maybe they will learn a little of each other as well. :)

MissMagic is right - Talking to the Adventure Ocean crew and pinpointing the best activities (those with lots of nonverbal components) are excellent ideas! Ask that the adults in the program make an effort to use/model lots of non-verbal components in their communication with the kids - facial expression, gestures, body language, pointing, etc. and that they encourage the other kids to do the same. (All of us do these things anyway, but making the staff aware that there's a child with a linguistic difference is important.) The kids won't be able to discuss rocket science with these techniques, but they will find that basic communication works pretty well with emphasis on the non-verbal elements.

You could also suggest that the crew might be able to make this a game or activity for the kids in the group - like teaching each other words/phrases in each others' languages, learning the names for places on the ship, objects in the AO room, etc. Kids her age would still be pretty receptive to that idea, and she may make some friends who will be fascinated by the idea of a language exchange. It's a great opportunity for the kids to learn about each other's culture and language in an informal and fun setting.

Don't be afraid of this situation for your daughter! Talk to her beforehand and make sure she's willing to try, be sure she doesn't feel pressured or left out, and listen to her feedback about her experiences in AO. It really can be a great experience for everyone if they can be open to new experiences and the adults are willing to model some effective non-verbal communication behaviors.

Judy

Thank you so much, I will talk to her about it before we go. We do like to prepare her for whats coming, things seem to go down a little better when we do :)

Most of the personell at AO is bi or multi lingual. Orientation is a great idea to discover staff backgrounds and language abilities.

My daughter went to AO on one cruise and met a little girl named Maria from Mexico. My daughter does not speak Spanish, nor did Maria speak any English- yet by the end of the week they were best friends hugging and crying when it was time to say goodbye.

I am of the opinion that children are much more adept at overcoming these types of 'obstacles' than we adults are! In any case, the staff will do their best to keep her involved and help her communicate- and willl report any issues to you at pick up time.

I hope you all have a wonderful time and she has fun. I am sure she will find someone who will be interested in trading the English word for 'chair, table' and so on for the Sweedish words.

Thank you! :)

I have a 6 and 8 year old and we just got of Oasis. They loved the kids area. There was a lot of active games like crazy tag and dodge ball. Easy directions. I'm sure they will find someone to help her out. I know my children would have intrigued by her and would have loved to help her out. The crew leading the kids area are a wonderful bunch, very friendly. They really try to get everyone involved. They can give you a pager and call you if she is not having fun.

Thank you! :) Good to know about the pager.

She is good at making new friends, and plays well with both older, younger and boys and girls. Good to hear others advise. Thank you all again :)

Archived