Celebrating parents 50th birthdays onboard Oasis

Hello all! I will be cruising on Oasis with my parents, sister, and family friends on July 21st. Both of my parents will be turning 50 this summer, within 3 weeks of each other (July 14th and August 7th). As a recently graduated poor college student, I would like to do something special for them onboard beyond ordering cakes and decorating their cabin.

I was wondering if anyone here would have any awesome (inexpensive!!!!!!!) suggestions that me and my 17 year old sister could do to surprise them, because we're not that creative.

Thanks!!!

(Dad, if you see this, pretend you didn't.)

I don't know how inexpensive you need, but my husband and I just came of the Allure and I surprised him with the basic romance package.

It's $100 and it includes a bottle of champagne (or non alchoholic drink) and chocolate covered strawberries on embarktion day, hors d'oeuvres and little desserts on the first formal night, one "breakfast in bed" (you order from a special menu) and an 8x10 silver picture frame.

We thought it was well worth it.

What about decorating the outside of their cabin door? You could wrap it in birthday paper and put sentimental pictures and/or sayings on it? This could be a low cost way to celebrate this special occassion.

Dinner for 2 in one of the specialty restaurants - usually $25 - $35 per person.

Love this idea! I would like this personally and opposed to getting the cabin decorated. RC does have a decorating package too

You are such a sweet daughter! With a heart like yours and your sister's, I know whatever you choose will be outstanding! Your parents are blessed!

Go to Party City or similar store and buy some inexpensive decorations. We like to get cut-outs and affix magnets to the back (you can buy a strip of magnetic tape at a craft's store such as Michaels) - all together this should cost less than $10. We usually put these on our cabin door. You can personalize them with a Sharpie.

Thanks everyone! I can definitely do some serious decorating. I think we may make a reservation for them at 150 Central Park but we will have to wait until we board because my dad will see it in the reservation for sure. I am going to talk to the other people we are traveling with for all the logistical planning. Does anyone know if you can make a surprise reservation by calling Royal Caribbean? I'm just afraid that waiting until we sail will result in a less than ideal reservation that would interfere with something else they have already planned.

I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago as we are celebrating our parents 50th too! I like the decorate the cabin door idea, and someone else mentioned to have a little surprise for them everyday: 50 chocolate kisses(gold wrapper) in a little bag, 50 green M&M's(ha ha) or order personailzed ones from M&Ms.com, you get the idea. Someone also suggested surprising them with a vow renewal, but from other posts, it sounds expensive, especially the photography package that I guess comes with it. I'm still mulling that one over....my Dad is kinda shy, don't know if he would want to do that in front of all of us!

Dinner for 2 in one of the specialty restaurants - usually $25 - $35 per person.

As a just past 50 year old couple with a kid just a little older than you, I would vote for this as well.

Archived