Best place to buy vanilla - Grand Cayman or Jamaica?

hartskys

A couple of cruises ago I bought some vanilla on one of the islands but can't remember which one.

Vanilla is cheap in Mexico. I don't think any is grown in the Caymans, but don't know about Jamaica. But don't think so. Tons of it in Cozumel.

A couple of cruises ago I bought some vanilla on one of the islands but can't remember which one.

If you are a coffee drinker, try some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. You are allowed 5 lbs per person coming back to the US. It may be expensive but it is one of the best coffee you can buy. It doesn't seem to get bitter no matter how strong you make it. What other islands are you going to?

If you are a coffee drinker, try some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. You are allowed 5 lbs per person coming back to the US. It may be expensive but it is one of the best coffee you can buy. It doesn't seem to get bitter no matter how strong you make it. What other islands are you going to?

Great - I think my mother in law will love the coffee. We are going to Key West, GC, and Jamaica

If you want to buy it Mexico is the place.....

Now if you want to have fun....Make your own...Here are many easy recipes that enhance the flavours......

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu9s5mmNL8nMATstXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzOWRjMmxtBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0Y4MjNfMTAz/SIG=11viuk5hd/EXP=1264905145/**http%3a//tipnut.com/homemade-vanilla-extract/

I buy this exact coffee at costco in 2 or 3lb bags! It's great coffee.

Somewhere in previous posts I read that the cheap vanilla you get in Mexico is not

pure. Try googling Vanilla Extract" Produced in Mexico is No Bargain

Search Consumer Updates at FDA sites.

Section Contents Menu

Consumer Updates

--

Some "Vanilla Extract" Produced in Mexico is No Bargain

Coumarin Banned in Food

Standards for Vanilla

Real Vanilla Extract and Flavoring Do Not Contain Coumarin

Tips for Consumers

Tourists tempted to pick up bargains south of the border should beware of one bargain that isn't a good buy—a so-called “vanilla” flavoring or extract that isn’t vanilla flavoring or extract at all, but instead is made from a completely different plant material that contains coumarin. Coumarin is a substance with potential toxic side effects banned from food in the United States.

This flavoring product may smell like vanilla extract, taste like vanilla extract, and be offered at a cheap price, but it could present a significant risk to some people’s health.

Pure vanilla flavoring and extract are made with the extract of beans from the vanilla plant, a type of orchid that grows as a vine. The product containing coumarin is made from the extract of beans from the tonka tree, an entirely different plant that belongs to the pea family. Tonka bean extract contains coumarin, a compound related to warfarin, which is in some blood-thinning medications. Eating food containing coumarin may be especially risky for people taking blood-thinning drugs because the interaction of coumarin and blood thinners can increase the likelihood of bleeding.

Coumarin Banned in Food

Coumarin is banned from food products sold in the United States. Yet the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) occasionally has found tonka bean extract products containing coumarin in some ethnic food stores and Mexican restaurants in the United States.

These products often are labeled in Spanish “Extracto de vainilla” or “Vainilla.” If these products contain tonka beans rather than vanilla beans, they have been imported illegally into the United States, and FDA advises consumers not to purchase or use these products.

is what I found from FDA,

I believe they sell vanilla in Grand Cayman because my friend bought some there and I was thinking to myself "Hmm...I wonder why she bought it there when Mexico sells it for super cheap?" I'd try GC if I were you, only because you'll be there and not in Coz. Just remember to book another cruise and be sure Cozumel is in the itinerary. ;)

Well, whatever you do, REMEMBER that the vanilla will be a liquid in a container of over 3 ounces. A couple years back when returning from a cruise that included stops in Belize and Roatan, I did not realize my DW packed our 16 oz bottle of 'real' vanilla in the carry-on bag with our souveniers. The TSA was not pleased when I went through airport security in Tampa, FL with the bottle of 'contraban' (yes, that's how they referred to my vanilla, 'contrban'). Geeze. Hate to think the damage this old Cajun could have caused on that flight with his 16 oz of Vanilla. Chalk one up to national security.

Somewhere in previous posts I read that the cheap vanilla you get in Mexico is not

pure. Try googling Vanilla Extract" Produced in Mexico is No Bargain

Search Consumer Updates at FDA sites.

Section Contents Menu

Consumer Updates

--

Some "Vanilla Extract" Produced in Mexico is No Bargain

Coumarin Banned in Food

Standards for Vanilla

Real Vanilla Extract and Flavoring Do Not Contain Coumarin

Tips for Consumers

Tourists tempted to pick up bargains south of the border should beware of one bargain that isn't a good buy—a so-called “vanilla” flavoring or extract that isn’t vanilla flavoring or extract at all, but instead is made from a completely different plant material that contains coumarin. Coumarin is a substance with potential toxic side effects banned from food in the United States.

This flavoring product may smell like vanilla extract, taste like vanilla extract, and be offered at a cheap price, but it could present a significant risk to some people’s health.

Pure vanilla flavoring and extract are made with the extract of beans from the vanilla plant, a type of orchid that grows as a vine. The product containing coumarin is made from the extract of beans from the tonka tree, an entirely different plant that belongs to the pea family. Tonka bean extract contains coumarin, a compound related to warfarin, which is in some blood-thinning medications. Eating food containing coumarin may be especially risky for people taking blood-thinning drugs because the interaction of coumarin and blood thinners can increase the likelihood of bleeding.

Coumarin Banned in Food

Coumarin is banned from food products sold in the United States. Yet the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) occasionally has found tonka bean extract products containing coumarin in some ethnic food stores and Mexican restaurants in the United States.

These products often are labeled in Spanish “Extracto de vainilla” or “Vainilla.” If these products contain tonka beans rather than vanilla beans, they have been imported illegally into the United States, and FDA advises consumers not to purchase or use these products.

is what I found from FDA,

We just bought vanilla at Los Cincos Soles in Cozumel and it states very clearly on the label that it contains no Coumadin. While it is possible that the cheap vanilla will contain it, it is up to the consumer to read the label. The vanilla from Los Cincos Soles is hands down the best I've ever used.

Take a look at this website in Tortola it's a spice shop on the island

When you go there they have all the spices out where you can taste

them , They also have a very good online store and will ship

direct to you, No need for the 3 oz limits for the airlines and no

need to carry back from the cruise

http://www.sunnycaribbee.com/

I seee that you are on Freedom in May. Neither GC or Jamaica is known for vanilla. The best place would be Cozumel, but since you are not going there that would not be possible.

I think your best bet is to try Jamaica, most things in GC tend to be overpriced.

Archived