I will be sailing on Reflection this November. I know I'll need some Euros, but want to minimize exchanging currencies. I'd like some feedback on how much some of you may have spent using Euros on tips, taxi, bus, souvenirs, etc....not things you would normally put on a credit card.

I will be sailing on Reflection this November. I know I'll need some Euros, but want to minimize exchanging currencies. I'd like some feedback on how much some of you may have spent using Euros on tips, taxi, bus, souvenirs, etc....not things you would normally put on a credit card.

There is no way to answer your question since much depends on your spending habits ashore (you do not need any Euros on the ship). If you are like us and do most of your ports independently (we think the word "tour" is a 4 letter word) then you would need lots of Euros. If you intend to take cruise line excursions in most ports you will not need many Euros unless you have a situation where you may buy your own lunch or do some shopping. If you decide to take private excursions (your CC Roll Call board is a great way to join others on private tours) you will probably need a lot of Euros to pay for the tours.

Hank

Not sure what your itinerary is, but when you land in Europe, get 100-200 Euro from the ATM. If you need more, there are ATM's all over Europe to get more. No real need to exchange currencies - Dollars for Euro. Just use your debit card in the ATM and your credit card for purchases/restaurant meals.

I suggest that you have some one and two euros coins for buying drinks, snacks (bottle of water=1 euro in most places), souveniers are like most places replace $ for euros (i.e. teatowel or deck of cards = $5 or 5 euros). As for the other things it is rather subjective but generally the buyoing power of $1 is equivalent to 1 euro. Obviously, tourist traps will slug you for whatever people are willing to pay.:D

The current exchange rate is one euro equals $1.24, not 1 to 1.

You can get euros at most of the big banks and also on the ship. The best way is to use ATMs in Europe though.

I was not referring to the current exchange rate but the buying power. $1 will buy a bottle of water as will 1 Euro.:D

I was not referring to the current exchange rate but the buying power. $1 will buy a bottle of water as will 1 Euro.:D

That is all $1 will buy ......no one will give that exchange rate for anything over 1 euro.

My experience is Europeans do not want dollars .....and if they take them the exchange rate goes the other way ....say $1.50 or more for a euro. A merchant that takes them to a bank is looking at that kind of rate to get rid of them.

That is all $1 will buy ......no one will give that exchange rate for anything over 1 euro.

I am just guessing here but I think they are saying if you pay $1 at home for bottled water it is 1 E in Europe

Not that you would pay in USD

We paid about 3-4 E for cappuccino in most places in Europe just to give you an idea

I am just guessing here but I think they are saying if you pay $1 at home for bottled water it is 1 E in Europe

Not that you would pay in USD

We paid about 3-4 E for cappuccino in most places in Europe just to give you an idea

Yes, you are correct, that is what I was trying to say.

Also, like any tourist area that has a lot of foreigners coming, the smaller shops and stands never have change, so make sure you have small notes and coins. In some of the Baltic areas, they take the Euros and provide no change or change in the local currency like Kroon in Estonia.:D

My experience living in Italy for several years take the advice of a PP and get as much small money as you can when you can. If your itinerary finds you in Italy they do NOT like to make change. Also most toilets cost 80E cents to 1E so you may need change for that.

But I have not as big of issue with this in Germany,Austria and Slovenia. Get your Euros from ATMs.

My experience living in Italy for several years take the advice of a PP and get as much small money as you can when you can. If your itinerary finds you in Italy they do NOT like to make change. Also most toilets cost 80E cents to 1E so you may need change for that.

But I have not as big of issue with this in Germany,Austria and Slovenia. Get your Euros from ATMs.

Good point in a lot of the european ports it costs more than a penny to spend one. :D

Archived