How far before your cruise do you purchase airfare? What is your airfare strategy?

cruisecritiquer

United wants around $2000 in first as well and it doesn't even have lie flat seats for the flight(s). :eek:

Poorly worded on my part; I was attempting to say that CLT in general is out of control. It's been on the "most expensive to fly out of" lists for ages.

On a side note, USAir doesn't have lie flat either. I flew first class to Alaska and had a much, much better experience on Delta. Everyone was super nice and professional. Even the pilot came out and introduced himself.

Try to get that on US Awful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Poorly worded on my part; I was attempting to say that CLT in general is out of control. It's been on the "most expensive to fly out of" lists for ages.

On a side note, USAir doesn't have lie flat either. I flew first class to Alaska and had a much, much better experience on Delta. Everyone was super nice and professional. Even the pilot came out and introduced himself.

Try to get that on US Awful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree that US Airways is awful. Every bad experience I've ever had has been with them.

They've short-checked my luggage to Orlando when we made a connection there and our bags were stuck in Orlando after we landed in Miami.

We were scheduled for a flight from New Orleans to Charlotte. We were on the 6:30 AM flight and it was cancelled. A 2:30 flight had some diamond member miss her flight and she came to the gate 30 minutes later. They revoked my seat on the flight after the 2:30PM flight after they had already told us we would board next to give it to this lady who missed her flight. After all of that...they told me that they wouldn't give us a voucher for a hotel stay until the last flight of the day had left. They said if you don't make ANY flights out today come to the kiosk after the last flight has left and we'll issue a voucher. They knew all of the kiosk staff was gone 30 minutes prior to the final departure. Even TSA agent told me that.

I watched them make a Russian woman stand at the back of the line when they cancelled our flight because they couldn't understand her and decided to deal with her last. When she finally walked up and asked for help in her very broken English the US Airways lady actually YELLED at her for not flying with someone that spoke English. I had to call one of my Defense Language Institute alumni friends to translate on speaker phone to her so the US Airways people would know what she was saying and vice versa. She was in tears and they weren't just indifferent...they were downright rude. After I raised quite the stink about the way they were treating her, they finally decided to help her get tickets home.

I can think of at least 4 more examples. :mad:

Edited by cruisecritiquer

Can you please tell more about these credit cards? We are planning our first TA and it involves a LOT of planning including airfare.

Thank you.

Step 1. Join the United Frequent flyer program .

Step 2 get the united explorer card in your name only 30,000 miles

Step3 repeat step 1 and 2 for your spouse. bingo they get 30,000 miles

Step4 each of you adds the other to your cards this earns you both 5000 mi each

STEP 5. EACH OF YOU join Marriotts honored guest program separately and each earns 70,000 points ( 140,000) and + 2 free nights

From experience the United program has the best accrual, the highest availability and the largest system. No other airline or credit card can touch their program I have found.... not capital 1 Amex, chase, AA, Delta, . Ship credit cards, Disney, debt cards......none.

Since many cruises include staying at a hotel on the port post or prior... joining Marriotts world wide system insures you almost a week of free hotels without spending a dime.

Now, use the United cards rather than cash, transfer balances from all your other cards and close them out. You want to focus 100% of ALL of your spending on the UAL card.

You only stay at Marriott hotels and only fly on United or its partners. You might pay a few bucks more in the beginning but soon you will never again be paying for airfare again !!! and rarely for a hotel... staying in 4 and 5 star rooms for free is nice so is first class LA to Rome.

It takes discipline not to opt for the cheaper fares or hotels...it is penny wise but pound foolish in the long run to go for price rather than look down the road.

Over the years, you be able to fly first class and stay in the best hotels trip after trip all free for the rest of your life.... all by sticking to a plan of 1 airline 1 hotel brand, 1 credit card brand for airline and one for hotel... avoiding all others.

Now you hold off using your points/miles for 18 to 24 months to build an account... before using them. Not flying or hotel staying your earning when you buy gas, pay insurance, phone, mortgage, food, clothes, haircut, car wash, gum, cruises, Drinks tours, cleaners,.... everything that you can get. You just pay off the card each month using the same cash or checks that you squandered and got no credit for them !!! Don't spend a dime unless you can get something back more than a product.... its you money work it.

If you need a whole bunch on air miles faster then go back to UAL/chase and each of you apply for a different credit there are 3 types. and bingo you earn another 30,000 miles EACH This is called Churning and the UAL card lets you do it.

Also with the UAL card you get free bags and priority board........

These techniques are have been used by myself and my wife and hundreds more.. we have accrued hundred's and hundreds of thousands if not millions of miles and continue to earn more almost as fast as we can spend them... You can too.....be smart or be poor

Ummm...American hasn't been in Albany in years. Which means that the bajillion miles my husband has on the AA card are pretty worthless to us. Every time we've tried to use the points (at one of the NYC airports) we haven't been able to cash them in. At some point we will be successful and use the points, then we can get a card that is a better option.

If you're in Albany, Bradley airport (Hartford) might not be too far for you to drive. Mass Pike to I91 is probably easier than any of the NYC airports. American flies from there.

Step 1. Join the United Frequent flyer program .

Step 2 get the united explorer card in your name only 30,000 miles

Step3 repeat step 1 and 2 for your spouse. bingo they get 30,000 miles

Step4 each of you adds the other to your cards this earns you both 5000 mi each

STEP 5. EACH OF YOU join Marriotts honored guest program separately and each earns 70,000 points ( 140,000) and + 2 free nights

From experience the United program has the best accrual, the highest availability and the largest system. No other airline or credit card can touch their program I have found.... not capital 1 Amex, chase, AA, Delta, . Ship credit cards, Disney, debt cards......none.

Since many cruises include staying at a hotel on the port post or prior... joining Marriotts world wide system insures you almost a week of free hotels without spending a dime.

Now, use the United cards rather than cash, transfer balances from all your other cards and close them out. You want to focus 100% of ALL of your spending on the UAL card.

You only stay at Marriott hotels and only fly on United or its partners. You might pay a few bucks more in the beginning but soon you will never again be paying for airfare again !!! and rarely for a hotel... staying in 4 and 5 star rooms for free is nice so is first class LA to Rome.

It takes discipline not to opt for the cheaper fares or hotels...it is penny wise but pound foolish in the long run to go for price rather than look down the road.

Over the years, you be able to fly first class and stay in the best hotels trip after trip all free for the rest of your life.... all by sticking to a plan of 1 airline 1 hotel brand, 1 credit card brand for airline and one for hotel... avoiding all others.

Now you hold off using your points/miles for 18 to 24 months to build an account... before using them. Not flying or hotel staying your earning when you buy gas, pay insurance, phone, mortgage, food, clothes, haircut, car wash, gum, cruises, Drinks tours, cleaners,.... everything that you can get. You just pay off the card each month using the same cash or checks that you squandered and got no credit for them !!! Don't spend a dime unless you can get something back more than a product.... its you money work it.

If you need a whole bunch on air miles faster then go back to UAL/chase and each of you apply for a different credit there are 3 types. and bingo you earn another 30,000 miles EACH This is called Churning and the UAL card lets you do it.

Also with the UAL card you get free bags and priority board........

These techniques are have been used by myself and my wife and hundreds more.. we have accrued hundred's and hundreds of thousands if not millions of miles and continue to earn more almost as fast as we can spend them... You can too.....be smart or be poor

Interesting plan. Of course you need to do massive spending to get those major miles. And with the new earning charts on UA next year those dirt cheap long haul milage runs won't earn nearly as much.

I do agree with you on sticking to one airline, but unless you fly big miles you are just not going to earn those big miles to fly 1st/biz class all over the world. UA does have an advantage that you can use miles for any flight any where..they just leave out the part that it might cost you a boat load of miles. (I'm saving up for a ticket to SYD right now myself).

I just use the Citi Hilton card and get Gold status at Hilton with that. Those bonus points add up quick, plus taking advantage of the specials helps. (I'm in NYC right now on their double/triple points promotion. first 2 nights double/second 2 night triple :D ) Every other hotel chain I have the earning set to earn UA miles. Sometimes a hilton brand isn't the best option (if at all) so I use Marriott or Holiday Inn and just gain a few extra UA miles.

If you are patient and play the game right you can fly up front and stay in nice hotels for next to nothing. The key is to resist the urge to blow miles/points on cheap domestic stuff if your goal is to see the world. Blowing bunch of points for 3 nights at a Hampton inn in Cleveland (nothing against Cleveland) when you really want to spend a week in London, Tokyo or Sydney is a big waste of points and puts you that much farther away from your goal.

Edited by TruckerDave

If you're in Albany, Bradley airport (Hartford) might not be too far for you to drive. Mass Pike to I91 is probably easier than any of the NYC airports. American flies from there.

It's not too bad of a drive (less than two hours) and definitely easier than any NYC airport, but not one I would voluntarily plan in the winter. With the winters we have been having, thinking about that trip up over the Taconics/Berkshires and making our flights would drive me crazy!

We just need to use those AA miles (my husband is hoping to do so for Hawaii in a couple of years) and switch to a card that makes sense for us, one of which is SWA since that is airline we use most.

Edited by brookie848

Interesting plan. Of course you need to do massive spending to get those major miles. And with the new earning charts on UA next year those dirt cheap long haul milage runs won't earn nearly as much.

I do agree with you on sticking to one airline, but unless you fly big miles you are just not going to earn those big miles to fly 1st/biz class all over the world. UA does have an advantage that you can use miles for any flight any where..they just leave out the part that it might cost you a boat load of miles. (I'm saving up for a ticket to SYD right now myself).

I just use the Citi Hilton card and get Gold status at Hilton with that. Those bonus points add up quick, plus taking advantage of the specials helps. (I'm in NYC right now on their double/triple points promotion. first 2 nights double/second 2 night triple :D ) Every other hotel chain I have the earning set to earn UA miles. Sometimes a hilton brand isn't the best option (if at all) so I use Marriott or Holiday Inn and just gain a few extra UA miles.

If you are patient and play the game right you can fly up front and stay in nice hotels for next to nothing. The key is to resist the urge to blow miles/points on cheap domestic stuff if your goal is to see the world. Blowing bunch of points for 3 nights at a Hampton inn in Cleveland (nothing against Cleveland) when you really want to spend a week in London, Tokyo or Sydney is a big waste of points and puts you that much farther away from your goal.

Is that the card that gives you automatic upgrade to silver and makes it easier for you to fast track to gold? I always use Hilton hotels and we go pretty frequently. That combined with the MVP code (20% off most hotels) leaves me with great deals...better than their other promotions almost 100% of the time.

Is that the card that gives you automatic upgrade to silver and makes it easier for you to fast track to gold? I always use Hilton hotels and we go pretty frequently. That combined with the MVP code (20% off most hotels) leaves me with great deals...better than their other promotions almost 100% of the time.

No kiddo....its the Marriott card that gives you annual silver elite level every year you have it Marriott points too can be converted into UAL miles

The partnership between Marriott and UAL is a BIG factor At silver level you get a 25% bonus in points and 5x points for $ spent at a hotel.

I just stayed in Vegas as the Marriott Renaissance and was up graded to a 1600 qy ft suite with dining room, living room 2 baths and a wet bar for $108 a night rather than $the $1500 a night rate... Yes I like Marriott a whole bunch

I don't fly much maybe 2 to 3 times a year... but all free. I do not use miles for short domestic routes. I avoid most domestic First class, but using united I get a cheap 10,000 or 12,000 mile ticket and up grade to economy plus poor mans first class.

I save my majority of miles for international first.

Flying to Hawaii is best done in coach. and up grading for$90 to economy plus on a 757.because first class is packed in tight and inflated. I lived in Hawaii for many years... first class to it is not worth it.

International First class on the other hand is a whole experience that one has to experience.... from private lounges with comp liquor and food, to lie flat beds in your own suite, with exceptional food and service, big fluffy pillow and bedding.... It is so over the top.

My miles build in spite of my constant drain of 150-200,000 per year just from my routine bill paying, cruises, taxes... I am on a retirement income...not 6 figures just and spend about $4500 a month in home and about 10-20K a year on cruises and travel expenses. I do take advantage of 2 for 1 or similar offers when ever I can. Not being wealthy I make every dime count...

No, my Citi card gives me Hilton Gold automatically. Plus 10 pts per dollar spent at Hilton brands, 5 pts per dollar on air tickets and rental cars and 3 pts per dollar on everything else.

No kiddo....its the Marriott card that gives you annual silver elite level every year you have it Marriott points too can be converted into UAL miles

The partnership between Marriott and UAL is a BIG factor At silver level you get a 25% bonus in points and 5x points for $ spent at a hotel.

I just stayed in Vegas as the Marriott Renaissance and was up graded to a 1600 qy ft suite with dining room, living room 2 baths and a wet bar for $108 a night rather than $the $1500 a night rate... Yes I like Marriott a whole bunch

I don't fly much maybe 2 to 3 times a year... but all free. I do not use miles for short domestic routes. I avoid most domestic First class, but using united I get a cheap 10,000 or 12,000 mile ticket and up grade to economy plus poor mans first class.

I save my majority of miles for international first.

Flying to Hawaii is best done in coach. and up grading for$90 to economy plus on a 757.because first class is packed in tight and inflated. I lived in Hawaii for many years... first class to it is not worth it.

International First class on the other hand is a whole experience that one has to experience.... from private lounges with comp liquor and food, to lie flat beds in your own suite, with exceptional food and service, big fluffy pillow and bedding.... It is so over the top.

My miles build in spite of my constant drain of 150-200,000 per year just from my routine bill paying, cruises, taxes... I am on a retirement income...not 6 figures just and spend about $4500 a month in home and about 10-20K a year on cruises and travel expenses. I do take advantage of 2 for 1 or similar offers when ever I can. Not being wealthy I make every dime count...

I buy the annual Economy Plus subscription. I wouldn't say it is better than 1st class...but getting the exit rows does make it doable. And you can have those 757 ghetto birds :eek: I'll just stick with the 777 to HNL. :D

Having been a commuter between LAX and KOA Hawaii for 10 years Let me offer a bit of experience....

UAL and others are now putting little 737-800's into service and these are to be avoided at all cost

There are 2 757 versions flying the 200 and the 300. The 200 is the best and economy plus row 8 gives you a good 8 feet for legroom .. or row 21.

Both of these rows have more leg space than first class seat width is only 1.5 inch less than first and recline is only 2 inches less... Best bang for the buck

Avoid the 757-300 it is stretch version which packs people horribly, I was originally designed, I believe as an executive aircraft for Satan.. The ac, I swear pumps in sulphur and brimstone gas.... Cabin crew including pilots are hand picked from a list provided by the American Sadist Association .

Beware of the 777 to Hawaii... It is packed house too, it is not the international version which is great.... This flys from SFO and LAX to HNL and on to GUM.....

The best aircraft is the 767-400 which has a business first, and lie flat seats for the 5.5 hour commute. This runs out of SFO and IAH and EWR

UAL is also equipping many of its 757-200 to have lie flat seat for domestic I flew IAD to ORD and LAX to IAH and LAX-ORD recently on one....

However the best option in total to go to Hawaii is to take a cruise from LA 15 day...no flying, 6 days see it all, and cruise back... Hate flying....take Amtrack to LA or San Diego...not a TSA line