Vietnam & Cambodia visas

Roxburgh

We are cruising Singapore to Hong Kong next February with stops in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. I know that we need visas for both these countries. According to our TA, Seabourn will sell these visas on-board at $50/person. However, it looks like I can get the Cambodia visas online and cheaper. Vietnam looks more complicated. Also according to the TA, the on-board Vietnam visa is less restrictive than the Russian ones (for example) where you had to be on an official tour.

Has anyone any tips or experience regarding visas for these countries?

Last December on the Legend the information from Seabourn was that the on-board Vietnam visa was for day excursions only. As we wanted to stay overnight in Ho Chi Minh City we got our visa by post directly from the Vietnamese Embassy in London before the voyage. As far as our experience in the UK was concerened, the process was reliable, inexpensive, simple and quick.

If you are not planning an overnight shoreside stay in any of the Vietnamese ports then the onboard visa will be perfectly adequate, with no other restrictions.

Edited by Flamin_June

In the US, we got our Visas to Vietnam by mail. It was quick, not too expensive. There was no restrictions on it and we stayed in several places in Vietnam. In Cambodia, got them at the airport for $20 each. Again, no restrictions and we travelled to different places in Cambodia, also.

There are indeed different visas for Vietnam. For most people the typical visa will be fine but as mentioned if you want to stay overnight at a hotel then you need a different visa. With the standard on board visa you have to be back on the ship by either 11:00 PM or by midnight.

Some cruise lines can get you a visa on board the ship for those wanting to say overnight or return very late while other's don't. If this is something you require, I would check with Seabourn to see if they can get that for you.

Seabourn is marking up the price of the visas. If the ships standard visa for Vietnam will work then stick with that.

Keith

Very easy to get a Cambodian visa at Siem Reap airport on arrival. $20 cash US currency plus a passport photo (they advise you need two, but they only took one). Must have a completely unmarked passport page for the visa.

Bureaucratic arrangement with about a dozen immigration clerks touching your passport. Start in the line on the far left as you enter the visa sales area. The whole process takes about 5 minutes from start to finish.

Edited by johnnycruise

• 1 year later...
We are cruising Singapore to Hong Kong next February with stops in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. I know that we need visas for both these countries. According to our TA, Seabourn will sell these visas on-board at $50/person. However, it looks like I can get the Cambodia visas online and cheaper. Vietnam looks more complicated. Also according to the TA, the on-board Vietnam visa is less restrictive than the Russian ones (for example) where you had to be on an official tour.

Has anyone any tips or experience regarding visas for these countries?

Hi Roxburgh,

i´m going on the same trip in Feburary 2016 with Seabourn.

Could u tell me about the visa for vietnam? Can i get the visa on board?

If i get the on-bord-visa can i go on my private tour or have i do an official tour with Seabourn?

Thank you, greetings from Germany

Vietnam visas are easily obtained on board the ship. No need to get them yourself.

The visa allows you to go out on your own. You don't have to take a Seabourn tour.

It is not like Russia at all.

Keith

^^^^ This.

Vietnam was no problem at all. In Saigon we did a private tour on day 1 and then just wandered around on day 2.