Puerto Limon for a snake phobic!

lynnelime

We have the usual one day in Puerto Limon and have already done the rain forest tours etc having visited quite a few in the Caribbean. I have read somewhere there is a park within easy welking distance of the cruise port with a fantastic variety of bird life. My problem is - is there also a chance of seeing snakes - I have a real phobia about them and having read about the numbers of them there are in Costa Rica I am doing all I can to avoid coming face to face with one!

So, do you want me to say "stay on the ship"? It's Central America so yes there are snakes in the jungle. Most cruise tourists visit heavily traveled sites and trails where the chance of bumping into a snake is really, really, really low. I see many more snakes around our property and squished on the roads in NC than I do in Costa Rica so I would not let it hold you back.

• 2 years later...
We have the usual one day in Puerto Limon and have already done the rain forest tours etc having visited quite a few in the Caribbean. I have read somewhere there is a park within easy welking distance of the cruise port with a fantastic variety of bird life. My problem is - is there also a chance of seeing snakes - I have a real phobia about them and having read about the numbers of them there are in Costa Rica I am doing all I can to avoid coming face to face with one!

I know this is an old thread but I also have a real phobia with snakes. We to have a day on Puerto Limon and I am trying to decide what to do. I have looked at the Historic Banana Route Railway Journey for a excursion. I would like to see some of Limon and not stay on the boat.

Has anyone been on the Historic Banana Route Railway Journey? or is there things to do around the port?

Thanks,

Kaye