PG 7 day FP cruise port and excursion questions

bell2

Hi, some questions on the ports and planning excursions as it looks like many of the posters have been on the PG before. We are on the 7 day 12/23 trip.

Moorea and Borabora are 2 day stops. I was thinking of doing the Lagoon excursion with feast in Borabora and the Dolphin watch in Moorea based on rec on this board. (2 of us about 60 and our 2 kids in their 20s). For the other day at these 2 ports, is the area nice to walk around/nice beach/do something near where the ships dock, or would you recommend we book another excursion?

Also, for excursions, what is your favorite excursion of the 4 ports for snorkeling?( other ports on cruise are Huahine and Tahaa)? My kids are strong swimmers though I might hold off if it's not a beginner snorkel. Do you see such different things you would rec. more than one snorkeling excursion?

Also, in Papeete we arrive at 6 am and have day room at IC, and before leaving at 11 pm have day room at Pearl as part of our package. I don't think either of those is in Papeete itself. I was wondering about visiting the big market in Papeete the first day (we come from CA so hopefully not too tired), and can we just catch a le truck to get there or would we need a taxi? Also, would you rec. trying to get an excursion into the interior to see waterfalls, etc the last day while we are at the Pearl?

Thanks very much.

Hmm..

I am hardly an expert, having only one (recent) PG cruise under my belt, but here are some insights

1. Of the two overnight stops, Bora Bora is the only one where the tender dock is in a "town," and I use that term loosely! I spent about an hour looking through pearl shops there. Moorea has a small vendor area set up at the dock, but not near any walkable town.

2. In Bora Bora, the PG motu (no excursion needed) is lovely, and I could have happily spent both days there if the weather was better. As it was we had an idyllic afternoon there.

3. The drift snorkel in Tahaa booked through the ship was GREAT, but IMO for experienced snorkelers/good swimmers only. It goes without saying that Motu Mahana is the place to be the rest of the day.

4. We booked Pure Snorkeling in Bora Bora, which was also excellent and good for all levels of ability

5. The Huahine snorkeling excursion through the ship was just OK.

6. I thought the market in Papeete was worth the visit. Earlier in the day is better.

7. You might be able to fit a half day excursion into the interior of Tahiti, probably on your return.

Have a wonderful time with your family!

I can't wait to go back

Edited by olesiabr

• 3 weeks later...

We went to the market on the last morning of the cruise. You don't leave the ship until noon time, so we walked off in the morning and browsed the market then went back to the ship for lunch before disembarking. Neither of the hotels you are staying at are close to downtown.

In Moorea I highly recommend Voil'a Moorea for a sailing/snorkel tour. It is an independent operator that we found through trip advisor and it was our favorite excursion of the trip. In fact, we had so much fun we booked them for our second day in Moorea to do some more snorkeling. Ended up sailing with a large number of dolphins that were jumping along side the boat.