Current pre and post air/hotel arrangements

dexddd

Specifically asking about the current practice of how PG is handling your inbound and outbound flights and any stay the day of and day leaving the ship.

When we went in 2013, we had the 11:55 p.m. outbound flight from LAX getting us into Papeete around 5:00 a.m. and then we were taken to the IC to stay until around 1 or 2 p.m. then to the ship. That was all included as part of their transfers.

On the way home, it was depart the ship, you had a couple options during the day, and then a late night flight home. We did air deviation so left the night the ship got into Papeete.

I recall reading some changes had happened around early 2014. I've also read some of the recent reviews and see people were taking flights out shortly after leaving the ship on the last morning vs. the late night flight.

I know we have more than a year to go, but trying to get an idea what PG is currently doing as it will have some impact on what flights and number of days we stay in LAX before and after our trip. Do they schedule people on the flight arriving late at night the same night the ship departs?

I wrote one of those current reviews.

We were given one of two overnight flights from LAX to PPT. 2345 PST to 0610 PPT time. We were collected in groups depending on where we were going. We had a pre-stay on Moorea, so we, along with about a dozen others, were put on a small bus and taken to the ferry. On the other side, same process to get to the hotel. We were picked up 3 days later at the hotel, taken back to the ferry, and then taken from the ferry to the ship (though, truth to be told, that's close enough to walk, but having the minibus (in this case) got us by port security maybe easier). There isn't much security getting on the ship....we talked to a family that even boarded with 1 person's passport missing (it was already on the ship, with their luggage, which had been whisked away before they were).

For the return, we were assigned the early Saturday flight to LAX. Departed PPT at 720; into LAX at 1735. We then had a layover and a redeye connection back to the east coast. They collected us on the ship in two groups. One group left at 445; the other (us) 500. Since we are east coasters, we'd been up early every day, anyway (I did *not* make it to midnight New Year's Eve in Papeete time!)

I had thought about requesting the late Saturday evening flight, enabling us to take a tour of Tahiti, but we both had to work on Monday, so we decided just to keep things where they were and get back Sunday morning instead of Sunday evening. Cheating ourselves out of another 'day' on vacation, but there you have it. It just seemed easier and better to get going on the long trip home. YMMV

We are going on our trip in June and requested a flight deviation, therefore we have recieved a preliminary flight schedule.

We're leaving on a Thursday and our flight leaves lax at 330pm, arriving around 1030pm Tahiti time. Coming home, we are leaving on a Tuesday and our flight is not until around 11pm, arriving in lax at 1005am.

Hope this helps.

We are going on our trip in June and requested a flight deviation, therefore we have recieved a preliminary flight schedule.

We're leaving on a Thursday and our flight leaves lax at 330pm, arriving around 1030pm Tahiti time. Coming home, we are leaving on a Tuesday and our flight is not until around 11pm, arriving in lax at 1005am.

Hope this helps.

THanks. So it looks like you come home the night the ship gets back into dock?

The night you arrive in Tahiti is that the night the ship leaves?

THanks. So it looks like you come home the night the ship gets back into dock?

The night you arrive in Tahiti is that the night the ship leaves?

Not quite, our cruise is Saturday to Saturday. So, we are doing about 2 days pre cruise and 3 days in bora bora post cruise.

I know it's going to be terrible with all this flying ( we're from chicago) but I know the end result will be worth it.

I know it's going to be terrible with all this flying ( we're from chicago) but I know the end result will be worth it.

We didn't think the flying was that bad. All told (door to door), we were in transit over 30 hours....BUT, that was arriving early to the airport; layovers at 2 airports (including a long one in LAX), with time to wander around and eat; a drug-induced overnight sleep to PPT; a ferry transfer to Moorea; a bus ride to the hotel. So - it was broken up fairly well. We were in the 2-seat sides for the overnight flights, so no one else to worry about.

Coming back was watching movies on the Air Tahiti Nui flight (ours was during the day); quick overnight to DTW; back home to the east coast. About 26 hours coming back door to door, since we were leaving from PPT. You'll be coming back from Bora Bora, though, so you'll have a long day both ways, but presumably only 1 internal US flight to and from LAX. Honestly, I was dreading the travel, too, but it really was very smooth and stress-free (once we made our connection in ATL on the way out; there were delays). We were in coach the whole way (economy plus for the intra-US flights).

Edited by azevedan

We didn't think the flying was that bad. All told (door to door), we were in transit over 30 hours....BUT, that was arriving early to the airport; layovers at 2 airports (including a long one in LAX), with time to wander around and eat; a drug-induced overnight sleep to PPT; a ferry transfer to Moorea; a bus ride to the hotel. So - it was broken up fairly well. We were in the 2-seat sides for the overnight flights, so no one else to worry about.

Coming back was watching movies on the Air Tahiti Nui flight (ours was during the day); quick overnight to DTW; back home to the east coast. About 26 hours coming back door to door, since we were leaving from PPT. You'll be coming back from Bora Bora, though, so you'll have a long day both ways, but presumably only 1 internal US flight to and from LAX. Honestly, I was dreading the travel, too, but it really was very smooth and stress-free (once we made our connection in ATL on the way out; there were delays). We were in coach the whole way (economy plus for the intra-US flights).

I love the 'drug-induced overnight sleep' part! haha! I figured that we will be so full of adrenaline/excited to go to FP that the way there won't be a big problem.

Now for the ride home and the depression that sinks in after the trip... now that's what I am worried about!

• 7 months later...

Depends on the cruise dates

However, the majority of the time you fly out on the red eye from LAX arriving at 6:00 AM. Then a day room until 3:00 PM at which time you will be taken to the ship.

On the return you will typically have a day room until evening at which time you will be transferred to the airport for the red eye back to LAX

Remember there are packages to stay a few days prior to the cruise, which I love.

All transfers are included plus free breakfast at the day room when you arrive.

Last year when we had the reunion people were flown in on the overnight flight and had the day room. They didn't get breakfast but got lunch included before they were transferred to the ship.

The best person to discuss these arrangements with specific to your dates would be your TA.i know our TA offered various options for inbound and outbound travel which were included as well as various pre and post cruise options as offered by PG cruises.

Dex, just a suggestion. Try to budget at least one day at a hotel in Tahiti before you board the ship. And if you're coming from the east coast, another night in L.A. on the way out as well. Both of these tactics make a big difference in your enjoyment.

On the other hand, we have usually flown straight back from Papeete to Toronto, although last time we managed to get a day flight back so spent the night in L.A. again rather than doing a redeye.

Of course, if you can manage a 3-4 day pre-cruise, that's also highly recommended! :)

Thanks everyone for the latest updates. We figured it was still probably the red eye night before with IC hotel stay. When we went last time there wasn't any breakfast as I recall but we did have the lunch buffet included.

I had read some reviews where on disembarkation day some were getting flights like 10 a.m. and they were taking people directly from ship to airport in the a.m. That doesn't sound like it is happening much, if any.

Thanks everyone for the latest updates. We figured it was still probably the red eye night before with IC hotel stay. When we went last time there wasn't any breakfast as I recall but we did have the lunch buffet included.

I had read some reviews where on disembarkation day some were getting flights like 10 a.m. and they were taking people directly from ship to airport in the a.m. That doesn't sound like it is happening much, if any.

The 8 am morning flight on the last day was available last year. People who overnight in LAX like it.

For the first few trips to FP I always suggest going with the flow and just enjoy the design of everything being taken care of. We've been there so many times that we know the available options and design our trips in a more custom way. No need to expound on those ideas as I still suggest using the package deal from PG for your first few visits. Once you've been there many times you would of gleaned enough info from others to venture out more on your own. There is something very nice about just hopping on that plane T LAX and not worry about a thing, PG has made it very easy to just enjoy the trip and don't worry about a thing.

For the first few trips to FP I always suggest going with the flow and just enjoy the design of everything being taken care of. We've been there so many times that we know the available options and design our trips in a more custom way. No need to expound on those ideas as I still suggest using the package deal from PG for your first few visits. Once you've been there many times you would of gleaned enough info from others to venture out more on your own. There is something very nice about just hopping on that plane T LAX and not worry about a thing, PG has made it very easy to just enjoy the trip and don't worry about a thing.

It's Dex's second trip on the PG.....the Flu strikes again.

You are lucky to be able to go so many times. If I lived in California I may have become a fixture. Only good thing is we are closer to Europe so we can enjoy their cultural delights.

It's Dex's second trip on the PG.....the Flu strikes again.

You are lucky to be able to go so many times. If I lived in California I may have become a fixture. Only good thing is we are closer to Europe so we can enjoy their cultural delights.

Thanks Emdee for the info. We decided to go sooner than planned as this will be the last year our DD can be a regular participant in the AOTE program. It was a unanimous vote to go next year again. Our DS is younger so if it was like last time, the rest of us could potentially participate in some activities if we go in future years when he is still under 18.

Edited by dexddd

Thanks for the suggestions. We don't have a ton of leeway as we are taking the 10 day trip this time vs. 11 day last time and with work schedules and then kids sports schedules and school after the trip we have to manage our travel time efficiently.

I understand .......

Anytime you start toying with the flight times you may be dealing with a deviation charge. ATN times table is much more extensive than AF thus more people are booked on ATN when cruising.

However, we will be returning on the early AF flight this trip but as I said, we've been going to FP for decades so there is no need for us to have a day room and enjoy a day before heading back. The day room is nice and you have another day to take in FP or just relax in the pool before heading to the airport. As they say, done that, no need to do it more than a few times, we've driven around Tahiti a bunch of times, beautiful but we've seen the beauty so many times, prefer to get back on a day run.

We booked our own airfare but we know all the things to do to occupy our time and the things we want to do before getting on board, yes there is a list of things we do while we wait to board :)

A nice thing to do if your waiting on your night flight return is to take a tour in the interior of Tahiti, breathtaking.

Just curious….Are the "day rooms" always at the Intercontinental?

Just curious….Are the "day rooms" always at the Intercontinental?

They have been lately, but in the past they were instead (or also) at the the Radisson. I don't miss that, but some others will disagree.

The included day room depends on the itinerary and if there is an early flight available. If the flight is available, it will PROBABLY be the default and you may have to pay to add a day room.

The real benefit to a day room in my mind is staying on the ship a couple hours longer. They often have to drag me off kicking and screaming. :eek:

Last year the day room was at the Radisson now the Pearl. The IC was an upgrade for an additional $40.

The Radisson is now the Pearl. A couple of years ago a large Canadian group left it to come to the IC. They were complaining big time about the place. Maybe now that a new company took it over it will be better.