Thoughts About the Falmouth Jamaica Port Stop...Should I Bother?

cjdixon4

I've been to Jamaica (Negril, Ocho Rios, Montego Bay) for fun land-based vacations, but never a cruise port stop in Falmouth. Read a lot lately from folks who say that it's probably a good day to stay on the ship. Is it really boring? I'm gonna be on Freedom and I don't want to waste money on an excursion if it won't be worth it. Thoughts? :confused:

I've been to Jamaica (Negril, Ocho Rios, Montego Bay) for fun land-based vacations, but never a cruise port stop in Falmouth. Read a lot lately from folks who say that it's probably a good day to stay on the ship. Is it really boring? I'm gonna be on Freedom and I don't want to waste money on an excursion if it won't be worth it. Thoughts? :confused:

Not much to do except get an excursion. Beach is good.

Some souvenir shopping just off the ship

I though it was an interesting town to walk around. More like the old Caribbean, the locals were very nice and it did not feel dangerous to me.

Oh yeah, and that was the other thing that I heard comments about. Many people expressed that they felt unsafe walking beyond the port area.

I agree

I though it was an interesting town to walk around. More like the old Caribbean, the locals were very nice and it did not feel dangerous to me.

If you are expecting Main Street in your home town, the city, not the Cruise compound or bubble, it is NOT. We took a walking tour our first visit there and now usually go our of the bubble, and get a few beers at the local supermarket, sit on the bench and some times have great conversations with locals. Buy something from a nice vendor and they really appreciate it.

Edited by north29

As you know, "everyone" has their own opinions. Falmouth was OK, but if I went back, I probably would stay on the ship. To me, it didn't have much to offer, but it depends upon what your looking for.

We typically walk around the cruise bubble. There are lots of shops and restaurants and free wifi and people singing and dancing and ...

On our first trip there we went outside the cruise bubble to see the big church off in the distance and it was pretty cool. We never felt threatened, but we did get a couple of offers to buy "ganja", but we just said no thanks and kept walking. No one was threatening at all. Lots of people waved and said hi to us.

Even if you just get off the ship and get a DQ milkshake or just walk around it's still worth it to see what's going on there (IMO). It's easy enough to get off and on the ship at that port so there's no real time hassle.

And... there is Margaritaville :)

Tom

Contact a good tour guide. We have used Courtney Taylor and found him to be great. He will take you to some hidden gems and stay with you. NO need to stay on the ship for this port. With hidden waterfalls, beautiful beaches... enjoy ! Tell him his old friend, Cori, says hello. He was wonderful guide for the times we used him.

Edited by camofwilliamsburg

I dont like it....been on a land vacation and stop there twice now. The one time we had fun, was when we missed falmouth and docked in montego bay. Took a 5 dollar cab to hip strip, at lunch at a BBQ place and had good beers.

Very few of those excursions offered interest me, and Falmouth still doesnt have much....amazing no one has opened a decent bar in town yet.

I did the tour to Dunns River Falls my first visit to Falmouth. It's an iconic stop and really a great excursion (except for the way too aggressive vendors at the end). But this coming trip I will stay in port.

I saw all I needed to see of the area outside the gates when we were on the tour bus. I am a big city person and generally have no trouble with rougher neighborhoods in or out of the US. That was one I was personally not going to do by myself.

We went on the Oasis last year and one of our ports was Falmouth. We heard lots of negative views of the island so we just thought we'd stay in the port area. We had lunch at Margaritaville,saw a native dance show right outside of Margaritaville and went in their swimming pool. We also had time to hit a few shops too. It was pretty enjoyable. We saw sights just outside of the port area and trust me it was scary. Stay in the immediate port area and you can have a good time. After all it is what you make of it.

We have never been, but on our upcoming cruise we will be stopping there. We have heard all of the stories about Falmouth and Jamacia. We really don't want to do Dunn's River Falls as it looks too crowded.

We decided to do the Falmouth Heritage Walking tour and then just check out the port shops and hang out on the ship. Figured while we were there, we should at least experience what the local life was like and get a little history. It is inexpensive and gives us something to do.

so is the red stripe beach excursion worth it? we are trying to decide if we just want to stay on ship.. but don't want to miss a beautiful, relaxing beach..:)

Would also like to know if people think the Royal red stripe beach excursion is worth it??

I am a little concerned about doing a beach on my own. I know its just everyones opinion, but since we have never been there, it all we have to go on .

One of the girls we are traveling saw good reviews on Burwood Beach, but this involves a private taxi to and from????