Dream Problems?

Tigers11

We plan to sail on the Dream this summer. I keep reading posts regarding a sewage smell on this ship. I have read reviews/posts from both side - no smell to terrible smell. If anyone has first hand experience, I would appreciate your input. TIA.

We've been on Dream 4 times....the smell exists, and is random. 3 of the cruises we never noticed it, and one it was pretty much a constant on our stateroom floor. We've also noticed a sewage smell on other ships (and other cruise lines). It's just one of those things, that comes along with cruising.

Thanks. I guess I've been lucky - never smelled a sewage smell and I've cruised 3 different lines, including Carnival. If you don't mind me asking, which floor were you on? I always take a room freshener spray to use in our room - even with a a veranda.

When the Dream first came out, this was a very definitive and unique problem to this ship. But it was quickly fixed. By fixed, I mean that it was made pretty much equal to all other ships at sea. That sewage smell is present in random spots at random times on any and all ships out there. There's just no way around it, but it's not usually that big of a deal; just a passing whiff. But when it happens on Dream now, people remember the numerous reports from those first couple months, and they take particular note of the smell, and then they will for sure be reporting it. And that passing whiff (in reality) turns into a tale of an overpowering odor everywhere all the time. But since other ships didn't have that problem at the start, even when people smell that smell, they don't take note of it nor report it. I have smelled this smell in random spots at random times on pretty much every ship I've been on, including the only Princess ship I've been on. Don't worry too much about this on Dream. It's no bigger problem on that ship than it is on any other. 3 times on Dream, 3 amazing cruises, 3 of the 4 best cruises I've ever had!

If it helps, I'm recently off the Dream. Had a cove balcony on the port side and didn't smell anything at all. Went to the starboard side to do laundry and the odor was definitely there and was strong. That was the only day I smelled it but also the only time I was on that side of our deck.

We've been on Dream 4 times....the smell exists, and is random. 3 of the cruises we never noticed it, and one it was pretty much a constant on our stateroom floor. We've also noticed a sewage smell on other ships (and other cruise lines). It's just one of those things, that comes along with cruising.

I guess ship componants need to "burp" like we humans do:D

Thank you for your post, ryoku. I've wondered about the cove balconies. How did you like yours?

Loved it! It was so relaxing to be so close to the water. It really makes you feel isolated. Plus I had a 5 year old and once he was asleep, we'd slip out on the balcony in the evenings and just enjoy the ride. My room was never hot, actually quite cold at times.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on Carnival Dream Nov 1-7 Honduras, Belize & Cozumel, and our 9th floor cabin had a disgusting sewage leak on last night of the cruise. Sewage flowed down from the ceiling and down the walls, and the odor was beyond description. It woke us up early and we left our room before sunrise because of smell. Staff was working hard to clean it up but ohhhh that smell. Also carpets soaked so we had to pull our luggage through the sewage. Third cruise on the Dream. First encounter with sewer problem.

Thank you all for your input. tnbuilder64, so sorry your cruise ended that way. Ryoku, sounds like we would love a cove balcony. Bakersdozen12 had a cove on the port side. For whatever reason, seems the port side has a little better luck with no issues so I think we'll stick with a cove on the port side.

We have been on the dream 3 times, 2X in a Spa balcony (deck 12 and deck 11), and the last time in a deluxe ocean view (cabin 2255). Never noticed ant odor on the upper decks but last time got an occasional whiff when walking down the 0.25 mile hallway on deck 2 to the back or front of the ship (our cabin was pretty far forward).

I really think it just happens when people have just used their bathrooms and it comes from the vacuum toilet closet which is in the hallway. It wasn't in the same place so just walk quickly on the long hallway decks and you should be fine!

I think we never smelled it on the spa decks because they are much shorter so less chance of catching it after someone "dropped anchor".

We have been on the dream 3 times, 2X in a Spa balcony (deck 12 and deck 11), and the last time in a deluxe ocean view (cabin 2255). Never noticed ant odor on the upper decks but last time got an occasional whiff when walking down the 0.25 mile hallway on deck 2 to the back or front of the ship (our cabin was pretty far forward).

I really think it just happens when people have just used their bathrooms and it comes from the vacuum toilet closet which is in the hallway. It wasn't in the same place so just walk quickly on the long hallway decks and you should be fine!

I think we never smelled it on the spa decks because they are much shorter so less chance of catching it after someone "dropped anchor".

Sorry, but there is no open venting between either the cabin bathroom, or the toilet itself and the "technical locker" that houses the plumbing.

Generally, this type of smell has nothing to do with the toilet or the "black water" from the toilets, unless the crew has had to open the piping to clear a blockage, and this is only a short term thing, while they are actually clearing the blockage.

Most commonly, this is caused by the "gray water" system, which handles the drains from sinks, showers, and decks. These drains all have loop traps in them (just like under your sink at home) to prevent odors backing up. When a drain does not get much water added regularly (the most common place this happens is the floor drain in the cabin bathroom (not the shower drain)), the A/C will dry out the water in the trap, and odors will come back up the piping. A glass of water down the bathroom floor drain (commonly a "gutter" at the door) every day will prevent many of these odors.