3/4 through May 4, 2009 Alert for I-45 Between Galveston and Houston (MERGED THREADS)

Galveston Cruiser

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=e60dddb1d931d711

Edit ~ FYI to all: Scroll to posts #41 & 42 in this thread for updated information and an updated article.

Host Kat

My suggestions:

Highway 3 North South will have major delays.

I would not use.

The other three below really take about the same time.

1. HW 45 to HW 288 to HW 6 all theway to Galveston

2. HW 45 to Beltway on south side of Houston... east to

Genoa to HW 146 all the way to Galveston

3. HW 45 to HW 225 to HW 146 all the way to Galveston

This isn't good.

YES.... but on positve side...all in the name of progress

for Houston Clear Lake and Galveston!

My suggestions:

The three below really take about the same time.

You will not lose that much time!

I have taken all three before.

The HW 6 alternative from Bush Airport

has fast speed limits all the way, except while going thru a couple of towns on 6.

From Bush airport use all three as alternative route.

From Hobby use # 2 or #3.

Hw 45 goes by Bush Airport (North of Houston)

and Hobby Airport (south of Houston) ....

even though they are on opposite sides of town.(SEE MAP)

1. HW 45 to HW 288 to HW 6 all theway to Galveston

2. HW 45 to Beltway on south side of Houston... east to

Genoa to HW 146 all the way to Galveston

3. HW 45 to HW 225 to HW 146 all the way to Galveston

Houston! So, does this mean we will be safe to travel the beltway to 45 into Galveston when we cruise??? Or should we just go over the Fred Hartman through Kemah??

We are kinda in the middle so it's 6 to 1 half a dozen of the other. Just don't like going through Kemah and hitting all the lights.

Thanks for that information Galveston Cruiser. We are driving down March 1st, but it looks like our drive out on March 8th could be a long one. We are driving our friends to Bush Int'l after debarkation. Is there a route you would suggest around the construction? Luckily, their flight isn't until 5pm, but I need to be back in DFW by 6pm to bail the pups our of puppie jail.

Welcome to southeast Texas' date=' y'all!

Kat 110105_emYA11_prv.gif

I was concerned about that as well, so I went to NTTA.org, our toll provider up here in Dallas. It stated that I can use my toll tag on any toll road in the state of Texas. So no change needed for me.

Yes, I am aware of how it works for Texans with EZ Pass, etc. I was mainly thinking of the out-of-state visitors.

082502btw_prv.gif, per the Copyright Infringements section in the Guidelines, show a web site's link only, no copy/paste of text. I had to remove the text in your post. Please feel free to post again with the link if you like.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

we don't have to do the IAH thing so will drive straight (!) through Houston - having read all the warnings about the detours and construction, guess we'll just follow the signs that is if there are any. If you see 2 grayhairs in beige toyota camry (1 of the 9 million beige toyota camrys sold to old people in Dallas) going around in circles, please stop and offer assistance!

we don't have to do the IAH thing so will drive straight (!) through Houston - having read all the warnings about the detours and construction, guess we'll just follow the signs that is if there are any. If you see 2 grayhairs in beige toyota camry (1 of the 9 million beige toyota camrys sold to old people in Dallas) going around in circles, please stop and offer assistance!

Will do. I'll be in a Black Jeep Cherokee, so if we pass each other, I'll honk.

Haven't seen any thing yet....

believe they will be announed in Thursday paper

Thanks Galveston Cruiser. We are leaving Thursday and driving to Dallas for a day and then to Galveston on Friday. We are planning to go to NASA on Saturday and trying to decide which road we will use for their and back also. I will have my laptop so I will be able to check your post. This will be our 9th trip to Galveston and we have been sailing from their since 2000.

Daryl

TxDOT: 713-802-5074 - #3

According to # there will be some construction on I 45 houston to galveston during the day

I would come into west of Houston,

and take right on beltway 8 to south

and it turns lefts back to east.

then turn right south on HW 288 continue south to HW 6 , turn

left to east to 45 down by Galveston, Texas City, La Marque and and go under 45 then for little way and left to north on HW 3 or 146 whichever motel is on.

Ok, a little confused here...hoping someone can help. I am coming in from San Antonio. I travel I-10, the toll road and then jump on I-45. What do I have to do differently?? :confused:. We are driving up the day before our cruise and staying in La Marque.

TxDOT: 713-802-5074 - #3

According to # there will be some construction on HW 45 houston to galveston during the day

To be safe

I would come into north of Houston,

and thru downtown straight and wind up on 288 on south.

HY 45 HW 59 and HW288 in town all merge onto one HW

and split again just past downtown.

then straight south on HW 288

continue south to HW 6 ,

turn left to east to 45 right down to Galveston,

Saturday take 45 to right to 146 left up to Nasa RD One and turn left to west go by lake and Nasa will be up on right.

Thanks Galveston Cruiser. We are leaving Thursday and driving to Dallas for a day and then to Galveston on Friday. We are planning to go to NASA on Saturday and trying to decide which road we will use for their and back also. I will have my laptop so I will be able to check your post. This will be our 9th trip to Galveston and we have been sailing from their since 2000.

Daryl

Archived