Dockyard/Hawksbill Snorkel

Aimarg

We're planning to do our own thing. Morning Nelson's Dockyard and area, possibly getting the driver to take us up Shirley Heights for some pano. photos of the harbour; lunch back at the ship, afternoon snorkel at Hawksbill Beach.

1. Is 1/2 a day at the Dockyard about right?

2. Are there cabs running back and forth all day? Would it be feasible to think we could hop into a cab with others waiting at the Pier? Same for the return to the Pier?

3. Same for Hawksbill - would there be taxis at the Pier after lunch? And would it be easy to get one back from the beach to the ship?

4. Is Hawksbill a good snorkel beach?

5. Cab prices - I've read they're set by the government but have seen differing posts for prices to the Dockyard - from $20-$30 p.p. each way. If it's $60 for the 2 of us to the Dockyard and $60 back, then it's probably $20 per person each way to Hawskbill, so we're wondering if it's cheaper to rent a scooter for $70 including insurance, gas and day licence and go where we want, when we want.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks. Marg

Regarding the taxi fare from the cruise ship dock to Nelson's Dockyard. The fare will be between $25 - $30 USD for up to 4 passengers, it is not per person. So a roundtrip would cost $50 - $60 for the both of you. There are always plenty of taxis at the cruise ship dock and since you are looking to go the Nelson's, then up to Shirley and then over to Hawksbill - it may be best to hire one taxi for the whole trip. Yes, you will have to pay for wait time but it may work out cheaper than paying for individual legs of the trip.

If you decide to pay leg-by-leg, then yes, there are plenty taxis at the Dockyard also.

We thought about scooters too. But instead went with Hertz and rented a

Suzuki Grand Vitara Hardtop 4WD Auto/Air for the day. $ 51.00 for the

day along with $20.00 Antiguan license (will make a good souvenier).

Unlimited mileage but must return with same amount of gas as when

delivered.

Much cheaper than taxis and you control when, where etc... and guess

what - they deliver car to you at the ship :eek: . Purchased a really good

map online for $3.50 and we are set. You drive on the left but the roads

are supposed to be ok and not much traffic. We always head to the

furthest point and work our way back so as to be closer to the ship as the

day progresses. Just a tip.

Wow, thanks for all your great info., guys. That was quick!

Maragirl - thanks for the taxi fare clarification. That makes sense!

Texancruzer - I hear you on starting from the furthest point. Just checked out a couple of the more well-known car rental companies and $50 plus peripherals seems pretty standard. Much more comfortable than a scooter - with somewhere to store snorkel gear, etc! Thanks for that idea. Before I book, I'll ensure, as you did, that they'll deliver to the dock. I'm assuming at no extra charge, right? And you can drop it back off at the dock, too?

Didn't realize it was left hand drive in Antigua, but as I'm originally from the UK, I'm thinking it won't be a problem.

Archived