Athens and Corinth private excursion

sho

My cruise ship will dock in Piraeus for one day from 8am to 6pm at the end of June.

Is is possible to do both Athens Acropolis and Corinth as a private day tour?

I am worried about traffic jam in Athens as I don't want to miss the boat.

Any advice about private tour company being able to offer such excursion?

Of course. Goggle is your friend. Or check your roll call and see if others want to share. We did Greek taxi but there are lots of others. The driver is not a licensed guide, but is a local and ours spoke English very well. He even took us to a small Greek restaurant that he and his family go to. We had a 5 course Greek meal with red & white wine for about 11 EUR pp. It was fantastic. We shared with another couple from our Roll Call, he took us where we wanted to go, then waited for us outside the venue. The tour was 50 EUR pp.

Check the ship excursions to see what they offer and the price. Then you can compare to independent and decide which is better for you.

Have fun planning, then taking your cruise.

My cruise ship will dock in Piraeus for one day from 8am to 6pm at the end of June.

We did a Celebrity tour of Corinth that included a boat ride on the canal, the tour took most of the day. Traffic delayed us more than an hour.

I would not risk taking a non-ship tour for both, it would add to the risk of missing the ship.

We had been to Athens twice and done the Acropolis and other sites before, so we enjoyed the Corinth tour. However, in my opinion, if you haven't seen the Acropolis, New Acropolis Museum and some of the other sites in Athens, skip the Corinth tour. There is plenty to see in Athens.

i agree with 4774 pappa,

You really cannot do both sites in the same day, unless it is basically a drive by!:rolleyes:

Did a Athens tour of Acropolis, and a couple of other sites in Athens,lunch and two hours in the Plaka. All day tour.

Did the same Celebrity ship tour to Corinth, it was all day.

Choices….. choices…..

Edited by Azulann

i agree with 4774 pappa,

You really cannot do both sites in the same day, unless it is basically a drive by!:rolleyes:

Did a Athens tour of Acropolis, and a couple of other sites in Athens,lunch and two hours in the Plaka. All day tour.

Choices….. choices…..

If you do a boat tour of the Corinth Canal, you might be correct, but we did drive by of the Canal- took a couple of pics, but had two hours guided tour at the Corinth site, plus lunch, plus about two hours at Acropolis. And still got back about 4pm (8:30 start at the Port).

As the OP said Corinth, (and not Canal)I am assuming the town site...but that is an assumption.

I am doing this tour with other CC Members on the Reflection in June which looks good :

http://www.privategreecetours.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67:full-day-tour-of-athens-and-corinth&catid=15:athens-region&Itemid=123

• 2 weeks later...
i agree with 4774 pappa,

Choices….. choices…..

Have been considering the Celebrity tour to Corinth in desperation to find a good Athens alternative. Was it good? Slightly concerned that the cruise element might be a bit dull as there is not anything obviously riveting about the deep regular cut canal. Have driven across it before but maybe it is more impressive looking up?

If anyone has any ideas for interesting alternative day trips from Piraeus, not including Athens itself I would be interested to hear.

Have been considering the Celebrity tour to Corinth in desperation to find a good Athens alternative. Was it good? Slightly concerned that the cruise element might be a bit dull as there is not anything obviously riveting about the deep regular cut canal. Have driven across it before but maybe it is more impressive looking up?

If anyone has any ideas for interesting alternative day trips from Piraeus, not including Athens itself I would be interested to hear.

Check out this site. We enjoyed Mycenae, Nafplion, and Corinth. It states 8 hours, so not sure if your timeframe would allow it. But worth looking at anyway. Google greek taxi. It wouldn't let me post it. We used them and it was great.

Edited by agabbymama

I have been to Athens three times and on an earlier land trip did a three island day cruise from Piraeus.

Also, a trip to Delphi or tour of the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion.

I don't now how much you have seen in Athens. The Archaeological Museum is great, as well as the New Acropolis Museum.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the information. We were considering this option but are in port on Tuesday.

We have also been pondering over this as there is an X excursion to the Corinth canal on a Tuesday which includes a cruise along it. We cannot decide whether it is the fact that that the canal is closed to normal traffic that allows this to happen or whether it is closed to all traffic and X have messed up in offering the tour.

Edited by scifimonkey