Do I have enough time to visit Olympia from Katakolon?

Katgoesonholiday

I will be on the Fantasia in May and this sounds like a perfect option for our day. Thanks for posting this information! Are you going write a review? I would like to hear what you did in the other ports. Also, do you remember the 2 dining times for dinner?

I might write a review this weekend. It's very busy at work at the moment, so I hope I'll have time.

The first dining time was 6:15, the second, I believe, 8:45.

In Bari, we walked into town and through the narrow streets of old town and then looked at the St. Nicholas Basilica and at the fort with the Jewish museum. The walk into Bari only takes about 20 minutes, so no need for the expensive tourist train or bus.

In Satorini, we took the cable car up und walked around in the village. We wanted to hike along the cost line to the next village, but had an encounter with a stray dog who followed us around everywhere. I would not leave the town by foot again.

In Athens we took the metro into the city and did the Acropolis and the Plaka area. It was a long walk to the metro station and we should have taken a cab or one of the HOHO busses.

In Corfu it was pouring when we arrived, so we took the bus into Corfu Town, did some shopping there and then walked back along the the harbor.

Dubrovnik was by far our favorite port. We walked into Old Town and the way stopped at a farmers market where we bought some Easter eggs. We had wanted to take the cable car up to the top of the mountain, but the weather was so poor that decided against it.

The old town area is Dubrovnik is fantastic and where easy to explore on your own. There were also some guided tours available, which might have been a good idea to join. The walk from the port was about 45 minutes up and down a steep hill. Local busses run between the port ond old town, but they require local currency, which we didn't want to deal with for this short stop.

Please let me know in case you have any additional questions.

I might write a review this weekend. It's very busy at work at the moment, so I hope I'll have time.

In Bari, we walked into town and through the narrow streets of old town and then looked at the St. Nicholas Basilica and at the fort with the Jewish museum. The walk into Bari only takes about 20 minutes, so no need for the expensive tourist train or bus.

In Satorini, we took the cable car up und walked around in the village. We wanted to hike along the cost line to the next village, but had an encounter with a stray dog who followed us around everywhere. I would not leave the town by foot again.

In Athens we took the metro into the city and did the Acropolis and the Plaka area. It was a long walk to the metro station and we should have taken a cab or one of the HOHO busses.

In Corfu it was pouring when we arrived, so we took the bus into Corfu Town, did some shopping there and then walked back along the the harbor.

Dubrovnik was by far our favorite port. We walked into Old Town and the way stopped at a farmers market where we bought some Easter eggs. We had wanted to take the cable car up to the top of the mountain, but the weather was so poor that decided against it.

The old town area is Dubrovnik is fantastic and where easy to explore on your own. There were also some guided tours available, which might have been a good idea to join. The walk from the port was about 45 minutes up and down a steep hill. Local busses run between the port ond old town, but they require local currency, which we didn't want to deal with for this short stop.

Thank you for the help. It is very much appreciated!

Did the ship stop in Santorini to let the ships excursions off before moving to another area for the tenders?

Just a quick question. Did you arrive in Katakolon (and other ports) one hour before the official scheduled time?

Thank you!

Thank you for the help. It is very much appreciated!

Did the ship stop in Santorini to let the ships excursions off before moving to another area for the tenders?

No, we were on the second tender and off the ship before the meeting time of the excursions. In Santorini they use local boats rather than the life boats as tenders, which speeds things up. They are quite large. They give out tender tickets early in the morning and my wife got ours as soon as they started giving them out.

Since we were at the cable car station so early, we only had to wait for two or three minutes. Later in the day, there was a long line.

Just a quick question. Did you arrive in Katakolon (and other ports) one hour before the official scheduled time?

Thank you!

Yes, we arrived at most ports, including Katakolon, an hour before the scheduled time. I believe Venice was an exception - there we arrived just shortly before the scheduled time.

No, we were on the second tender and off the ship before the meeting time of the excursions. In Santorini they use local boats rather than the life boats as tenders, which speeds things up. They are quite large. They give out tender tickets early in the morning and my wife got ours as soon as they started giving them out.

Since we were at the cable car station so early, we only had to wait for two or three minutes. Later in the day, there was a long line.

I am glad you told me this. I have booked a shore excursion because I read they get off the ship first and at a different location. I may rethink my plans now. Do you have your daily planner for that day? If so, does it list the time of the Oia Village shore excursion?

I am glad you told me this. I have booked a shore excursion because I read they get off the ship first and at a different location. I may rethink my plans now. Do you have your daily planner for that day? If so, does it list the time of the Oia Village shore excursion?

No, I unfortunately left the Daily Programs on the ship.

No, I unfortunately left the Daily Programs on the ship.

I hope you don't mind answering another question but I was curious about the show times in the theater. I have read that the show is before dinner if you have the late seating. Does that sound right to you? Thanks for the help!

Thanks Alex71 for this info on what you did in each port

Would also like to read a review on your cruise we are on the Fantasia in September

Can I ask what other choices you would have had in Santorini to get to the other Villiage, was it Oia ?

Thankyou

I hope you don't mind answering another question but I was curious about the show times in the theater. I have read that the show is before dinner if you have the late seating. Does that sound right to you? Thanks for the help!

Correct, the show for the late seating is before dinner, the show for the early seating is after dinner at 9:30.

Thanks Alex71 for this info on what you did in each port

Would also like to read a review on your cruise we are on the Fantasia in September

Can I ask what other choices you would have had in Santorini to get to the other Villiage, was it Oia ?

Thankyou

Since we had the kids with us, we wanted to leisurely walk towards Oia without it being a firm destination for us. There is also a bus that runs there. They have a sign at the exit of the top cable car station that explains the bus system. My impression was that the bus is geared towards the needs of visitors, so this might have been a good choice.

It seems there's a bit of misinformation regarding this port.

First of all, I am not able to find an official website (maybe it's in greek and I just can't find it)

The fact is that according to Katakolon Express (a bus company) the MSC Preziosa docks in Katalolon without tendering, they posted a picture on their Facebook page as proof. And unless there are many ships there the same day and time, there is no real reason to tender there since there are two big enough berths. So I find it hard to believe that they'll do tendering there with such a big ship.

I was checking cruisett today and it says Preziosa is the only ship in port that day in September that we visit. I too wonder if MSC is bluffing passengers into buying their excursions?

Any posters on here that have sailed this route this year or who do so in the coming months might be kind enough to report back on this? Ken

Edited by CruiseIreland

I was checking cruisett today and it says Preziosa is the only ship in port that day in September that we visit. I too wonder if MSC is bluffing passengers into buying their excursions?

Any posters on here that have sailed this route this year or who do so in the coming months might be kind enough to report back on this? Ken

Just a thought, Ken.

You could ask on a RollCall or two, on threads for recently-returned and shortly-sailing cruises.

JB :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought...

It's not either/or in regard to tendering. Some ports have both. And always remember that is subject to change, as well as arrival and departure times...and ports.

Just be prepared for changes. After all, life is what happens while you are making plans!

:)

We were in Katakolon on the MSC Fantasia last week. We were docked as was the HAL Eurodam, which was in port the same day, so there seems to be enough dock space to accomodate at least two ships. In case there are more, some might have to use tenders.

The official arrival time was 13:00, but MSC usually arrives an hour early, possibly to build in some buffer for potential delays. We were off the ship and outside the port at about 12:20.

As soon as we exited the port, we saw representatives from different bus companies looking to direct people to their offices. We turned to one guy who had a sign saying "Bus to Olympia 8 EUR". He told us that our two kids would be free and took us to a little office maybe 50m up a street, where we paid the 16 EUR for the two adults and were told that the bus would leave in 30 minutes.

We then spend about 20 minutes looking at some of the tourist shops in Katakolon and then went to the bus, which was parked further down the street. The driver arrived around 12:50 and got us to Olympia in a good half hour. We then had enough time to look at Olympia and for a quick lunch at one of the restaurants in town.

The driver arrived at the time he had indicated and took us back so that we were at the port well before before the all on board time. In total, the tour took about three hours, a little more than one hour on the bus and a little less than two hours in Olympia. The felt that the the time was sufficient since there really is not that much to look at.

All in all a very pleasant experience. It was a modern and clean bus an everything worked like a clockwork. No need to make arrangements up front, we were perfectly happy with what we got in Katakolon directly. Can't remember what the bus company was called, I think something like Vla...-Tours.

Alex71

Awesome advice. We will be here in early October and you have saved me a lot of time and cash. I will look for this sign when I get off the ship.

• 3 weeks later...