Alaska- Coral Princess or RCI Radiance

I posted this on the Alaska board but wanted to post on Princess and RCI board to also get some input.

First time going to Alaska and trying to decide which ship. There will be three of us ages 45 ish and bringing our 20 year old daughter for her college graduation. I still have tons of research to do but looking at the following two ships/ We love to just sightsee and looking forward to the beauty of Alaska.

Coral Princess Obstructed OV for $500 dollars more than RCI

Anchorage

Hubbard Glacier

Glacier Bay National Park

Skagway

Juneau

Ketchikan

Sea

Vancover

RCI Radiance oceanview

Seward

Hubbard Glacier

Juneau

Skagway

Icy Strait Point

Ketchikan

Inside Passage

Vancover

Which itinerary is best?? I know they say Glacier Bay is amazing but is in worth the extra $500.00? We have never sailed Princess Cruise Line before but have sailed RCI.

Thank you for your input!

I took the Radiance to Alaska 2 years ago. That ship easily had the worst food I've ever experienced at sea. Hard cookies, burnt pizza, rock hard hot dog buns, warm milk, etc. It was terrible. I lost weight because much of the time there was nothing I found edible. That's a first for me on a cruise! Between that and the other option having 2 glacier days I would spend the extra money and take the other trip. That said, this year I'm giving Royal another chance and checking out the Oasis. Hopefully that last trip was just a fluke, but it sure wasn't a great introduction to the line.

........and we are total fans of the Radiance -- we were married onboard in Juneau.

Ships physically, Radiance gets this vote due to extensive windows in public areas. You never want to be far from a view in Alaska. Here you can be twittering away a few minutes in line for even guest services and still enjoy a view.

Glacier Bay is amazing with it's sheer number of glaciers to view and I WAS impressed. Hubbard Glacier? Something about this glacier latches onto you. Face is 300 ft high, 6.5 miles long and goes 26 miles up into the mountains. Hubbard is an active glacier with all the rumblings, groans and magnificent calvings. Yes, you get this elsewhere. For me, however, Hubbard and I now have a friendship of sorts. I may not be totally objective on this one.

One area where no cruiseline can touch Princess in Alaska is their lodges ashore. 50+ years ago they were lucky enough to find and smart enough to buy some of the most beautiful land in Alaska. Checkout most touring guides, they agree with me. Their lodges are some of the nicest, well run properties up there.

We leave in a month for another trip to Alaska. Part of our land tour will be a trip to Denali with Princess, a little noodling on our own on land and a southbound journey on our Radiance.

If you are planning an Alaska adventure, please take a look at adding a land tour to your cruise. Nothing like it. You will miss part of what is magical about the state........if you can afford it.

Oh yes. Another opinion I feel strongly about ...Princess has the BEST bloody Mary's …. There, I said it. My opinions, good or bad.

Just GO!

Alaska changes you forever.

Alaska is what God created so HE could go on vacation.

........and we are total fans of the Radiance -- we were married onboard in Juneau.

Ships physically, Radiance gets this vote due to extensive windows in public areas. You never want to be far from a view in Alaska. Here you can be twittering away a few minutes in line for even guest services and still enjoy a view.

Glacier Bay is amazing with it's sheer number of glaciers to view and I WAS impressed. Hubbard Glacier? Something about this glacier latches onto you. Face is 300 ft high, 6.5 miles long and goes 26 miles up into the mountains. Hubbard is an active glacier with all the rumblings, groans and magnificent calvings. Yes, you get this elsewhere. For me, however, Hubbard and I now have a friendship of sorts. I may not be totally objective on this one.

One area where no cruiseline can touch Princess in Alaska is their lodges ashore. 50+ years ago they were lucky enough to find and smart enough to buy some of the most beautiful land in Alaska. Checkout most touring guides, they agree with me. Their lodges are some of the nicest, well run properties up there.

We leave in a month for another trip to Alaska. Part of our land tour will be a trip to Denali with Princess, a little noodling on our own on land and a southbound journey on our Radiance.

If you are planning an Alaska adventure, please take a look at adding a land tour to your cruise. Nothing like it. You will miss part of what is magical about the state........if you can afford it.

Oh yes. Another opinion I feel strongly about ...Princess has the BEST bloody Mary's …. There, I said it. My opinions, good or bad.

Just GO!

Alaska changes you forever.

Alaska is what God created so HE could go on vacation.

Donut, a very good comparison. I would add one other comment. The carribean was created for his winter holidays. ;)

Hope you and Jim are at ease after this last past few weeks. Enjoy your Alaskan cruise! We can't wait to return there in a couple of years as it has been a while.

I would go for the Radiance. Radiance-Class is made for destinations like Alaska. Glas and views whereever you are on the ship.

We did this cruise last year - one of the best ever.

Check this review for tons of pics. Never mind the German text. If you have any questions - shoot.

At the very end of the review there is a list with all the tour operators and rental companies we booked with. Every single one was great.

http://www.kreuzfahrtinfos.at/kfi-forum/board3-kreuzfahrt-reedereien/board54-royal-caribbean-cruise-line/board91-reisebericht-royal-caribbean-cruise-line/4395-reisebericht-radiance-of-the-seas-alaska-09-2013/

I am a HUGE Royal Caribbean fan, BUT I sailed on the Coral in Alaska 3 years ago. Glacier Bay is a MUST. The Coral is a fabulous ship that is very spacious. The space per passenger is higher than nearly any other ship in Alaska. You won't feel crowded or overwhelmed. There is just as much window space and glass on this ship as there is on a Radiance Class ship. I highly recommend both the Coral AND Glacier Bay!!!

The Coral leaves from Whittier (2 or so hours form Anchorage). You can take the Glacier Discovery train from Anchorage to Whittier to get on the ship. A beautiful scenic experience. Look in my signature for my review.

Edited by smileyperry