Exchanging dollars for euros on board ship

barbon2

Hi,

I know that I am planning ahead, but can you exchange American Dollars/Travelers Checks on board the ship for Euros.

We are planning on getting some Euros before we leave but do not want to carry too many with you.

Thanks!!

Barbara

You can, but the least expensive way is to use your ATM card at your various ports. Withdrawing what you anticipate you might need, and using credit cards, (with no foreign exchange fees), for what you can are the better option IMHO.

Happy Cruising,

tnt10

We find the rate to be some what negligible vs ease in the whole scheme of things...We usually cash travelers cheques and exchange small amounts of money onboard for the local currencies of the ports we visit..Much easier than guessing how much local currency we'll need before our cruise and finding ATM's which sometimes isn't as easy as other's say it's going to be..and of course using our Capital One when it's an option...JMHO :)

It is getting harder for us to find traveler's checks in our area. We plan to exchange the euros we need before we leave on our trip.

We would prefer not using our ATM card. And while you can exchange money on the ship, as SilentBob mentioned the rate is not that good.

But in the end, you have to do what is comfortable for you.

It is getting harder for us to find traveler's checks in our area. We plan to exchange the euros we need before we leave on our trip.

We would prefer not using our ATM card. And while you can exchange money on the ship, as SilentBob mentioned the rate is not that good.

But in the end, you have to do what is comfortable for you.

Hard to find traveler's checks...have you tried..AAA or most banks while they may not have them in their branches like they used to..you can still order them online or in my case I called B of America and they were delivered to my local branch in 3 business days..One of the few that still have them on hand (at least in my hometown) is Citibank and you don't even have to have an account there..Good luck..I always use TC's as my backup cash when I travel. I too don't like to use my ATM.

Hard to find traveler's checks...have you tried..AAA or most banks while they may not have them in their branches like they used to..you can still order them online or in my case I called B of America and they were delivered to my local branch in 3 business days..One of the few that still have them on hand (at least in my hometown) is Citibank and you don't even have to have an account there..Good luck..I always use TC's as my backup cash when I travel. I too don't like to use my ATM.

We have tried, as we like to take them as back up as well. The folks at the bank even told us it is getting harder for them to get them in stock.

Hi fellow cruiser : Don't know if you are a AAA member but each card holder can obtain TWO $100.00 Trip packs exchange of dollars to euros at selective branches. any more than $100.00 has to go through a independent contractor. Trip pack has no fee. Bob The Villages florida:):):)

Hi fellow cruiser : Don't know if you are a AAA member but each card holder can obtain TWO $100.00 Trip packs exchange of dollars to euros at selective branches. any more than $100.00 has to go through a independent contractor. Trip pack has no fee. Bob The Villages florida:):):)

There may not be a fee, but I'd check to see how many euros and/or pounds you get for the $100. Depending on how many you get you might find that the exchange rate is definitely more in AAA's favor than in yours.

Archived