Dublin HOHO bus

Is it necessary to buy tickets in advance? Also any recommendation for the Green bus vs. the Red bus? I'm interested in a company that provides live guides/commentary rather than recorded commentary. Many thanks for any information you can provide. We're planning on seeing Dublin on our own and thought the HOHO bus would give us a good overview of the city.

Is it necessary to buy tickets in advance? Also any recommendation for the Green bus vs. the Red bus? I'm interested in a company that provides live guides/commentary rather than recorded commentary. Many thanks for any information you can provide. We're planning on seeing Dublin on our own and thought the HOHO bus would give us a good overview of the city.

We did the HOHO in Dublin, here is the info. It was a live tour guide. It was the Dublin Sightseeing Tours, I think the green bus.

http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/citytour.aspx

1 Ticket = 2 Days + 3 Routes + Exclusive Offers + Awarding winning tour*!

Experience Dublin in your own language! Hop on board our fun, friendly 90 minute tour with live English commentary or multi-lingual commentary in 8 languages*.

With over 25 stops this tour will take you past the best visitor attractions in Dublin including the Guinness Storehouse, Dublin Castle, Christchurch Cathedral, the national museums and much more. Enjoy a range of discounts when you present your City Tour ticket.

See Dublin in a whole new light on the FREE City by Night tour! This one loop tour takes you on a journey through the elegant houses of Georgian Dublin, the contemporary Docklands district and back into the heart of the city centre. You won’t be disappointed with this after dark alternative!

Why choose City Sightseeing Dublin:

• 2 Day valid ticket
  • 1 Ticket = 3 Routes
  • Exclusive attraction discounts
  • Exceptional meal deal offers
  • FREE Night Tour
  • FREE walking tour
  • Kids go FREE
  • 10% Discount off any City Sightseeing Tour worldwide
  • Award winning tour

City Tour departs: Stop 1 - 14 Upper O Connell St or any of our 25 stops

Night Tour departs: Stop 1 at 9pm July& Aug, 8pm Sept & Oct

Prices from: €16pp Bookings can be made:

- Online: Book your ticket here and save 20%!

- Over the phone: +353 1 605 7705 / +353 1 458 0054

- In the Discover Dublin Tourism offices

• 2 months later...

we walked back from the downtown area to the ship (Celebrity Silhouette) took just over an hour at a leisurely stroll. We took a Taxi from the ship to the downtown area..was around 12 Euro. The HOHO bus can get u somewhat close to the ship, maybe a 20 min walk. We did the Green HOHO....Some buses it was recorded, some live commentary. I think their may have been a few more red buses though, but we were very happy with the Green!

As a resident dub I've done both tours both are great it's hot and miss with the live commentary but generally the red one has more drivers with it there great true dubs with a unique since of humour I'd differently go to the Guinness hop store even if it's just for the pint and fab view from the top of the gravity bar if it's wet or over cast it's not great forget the waxworks museums not worth it if it's a wet day and your looking to kill time the national history musum is good or as we call it the dead zoo dead animals if your looking for something unique to do the afternoon tea in the shelbourne if wonderful the shelbourne hotel is a treasure trove of history where the rich and famous have stayed

Is there any public transport from the ship ?

Not walkable unless you enjoy a good one hour walk Ireland we don't have the best of weather and Dublin port isn't like the ports like port caniverial or st Thomas or st Martin where everything is near by its mainly commercial though the cruise ships are becoming more popular I walked last year from town out to the port enjoyed it stopped and had coffee along the way read the newspaper on my phone them arrived in port to realise my phone battery had died and the pic I wanted if the first time 4 cruise liners I the harbour couldn't be taken so if you want to streach your legs and enjoy a pint of the black stuff have a stroll into town

ImageUploadedByForums1443832515.028374.jpg.8b8bed9c438a219dcd6abf0bc47be0bd.jpg

If you arrive into terminal 3 you can walk over to the point village the tram goes from there and stops at abbey street which is just on the Main Street in Dublin you can walk from there to trinity college but to get to Guinness you need to use the tour bus it's difficult to find sorry guys I seem to have hi jacked this post I was great full for someone giving me info for my first cruise last August and I'm addicted have another 2 booked

[ATTACH]364257[/ATTACH]

If you arrive into terminal 3 you can walk over to the point village the tram goes from there and stops at abbey street which is just on the Main Street in Dublin you can walk from there to trinity college but to get to Guinness you need to use the tour bus it's difficult to find sorry guys I seem to have hi jacked this post I was great full for someone giving me info for my first cruise last August and I'm addicted have another 2 booked

Ditto! We used CC to plan our British Isles cruise, it seems like it's a more detail oriented cruise vs a Caribbean, too much to see and too little time.

• 4 months later...

We have a day in Dublin as part of a cruise with this schedule:

Monday, June 13, 2016, DUBLIN, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 5:15 PM

We have tickets for Book of Kells at 10 AM and then thought we would do one of the HOHO bus tours afterwards and were trying to decide between the Green and the Red bus. We just need a one-day ticket and don't have anywhere else particularly selected to hop off to visit - we like to do HOHO for an overview of the city and thought we might also do one of the walking tours.

If you've done the Green or the Red bus (or both), is there a preference for one over the other? It looks like they both pick up near Trinity College where we'll be starting our day.

• 1 month later...
We have a day in Dublin as part of a cruise with this schedule:

Monday, June 13, 2016, DUBLIN, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 5:15 PM

We have tickets for Book of Kells at 10 AM and then thought we would do one of the HOHO bus tours afterwards and were trying to decide between the Green and the Red bus. We just need a one-day ticket and don't have anywhere else particularly selected to hop off to visit - we like to do HOHO for an overview of the city and thought we might also do one of the walking tours.

If you've done the Green or the Red bus (or both), is there a preference for one over the other? It looks like they both pick up near Trinity College where we'll be starting our day.

Go with the red tour it has more live commentary you may be able to pick on up at the cruise terminal it stops at trinity it's nice to stay on the bus and see the city of the weather is good if it's poor weather Guinness or killmaham jail are 2 good stops

Go with the red tour it has more live commentary you may be able to pick on up at the cruise terminal it stops at trinity it's nice to stay on the bus and see the city of the weather is good if it's poor weather Guinness or killmaham jail are 2 good stops

Just a suggestion if the ship offers one of the hohf tours go with it Dublin traffic can be awful so if u run late at least u are on a ship excursion enjoy Dublin

Why would you book the HOHO bus via the ship?

It's quite a distance from town to the ship and taxis are expensive also traffic can be heavy so if you are on a ship sponsored hoho u have transport from the ship into town and back and the piece of mind that the ship won't leav with out u

We had a free shuttle bus that took us into the centre where the HOHOs start. Although we would never leave it too late to miss our ship.

That ok just local knowledge I live in Dublin and live near the city centre enjoy your trip