Facebook posting help

Celiac Cruiser

This is the first time I have tried to post to Facebook to journal my trip. I am having trouble and don't know if I am doing something wrong.

While docked in Stockholm, I posted 4 pics and a comment and it took 4 hours to upload. Since then, I have not been able to even open Facebook. The scrolling wheel goes round and round and the message says network error or internet unavailable-even though WiFi shows logged into Viking Sea.

Any ideas? (Meanwhile I am able to receive and send emails).

Thanks

The free Wi-fi on Viking is sufficient for emailing, but insufficient for posting photos or downloading material. I believe they may offer an upgraded wi-fi for purchase. Check with the front desk.

Becki

Unfortunately it sounds like you're stuck in limbo now as poor little FB keeps trying and trying - like the little engine that could - to complete uploading your pix. Suggest that to break the cycle and to free poor FB from it's agonies, you reboot the device you were using to post those pic (turn it off and then on again). That should serve to terminate your hung transaction and let you use FB normally again. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had no problem at all posting pictures to Facebook from the Sky, just like Dee's husband. One problem that I discovered, that was my fault, was that I uploaded pictures to my tablet directly from my camera using my camera's wifi, which required connecting to my camera's wifi. If I got the "spinning wheel of death" when trying to post those pictures to Facebook I found that it meant that even though it said I was connected to the Sky's wifi, I wasn't. So I would disconnect from the wifi, make sure I got all the way to the screen where it asked me for my cabin number and name, and reconnect, and it then worked like a charm and they uploaded very quickly. I posted pictures several times a day. I posted as many as 15 at a time in no time at all once I figured out that I needed to sign in again.

Stretchcruz and Deec (good suggestion!), with both Viking River and Ocean, it is a very common complaint that users find it next to impossible to do much more than read and send emails using the complimentary wi-fi. You both prove the exception to that, and that can be for various reasons. Suffice to say, users should be aware that they may encounter issues. Try a different time of day when fewer people may be online, try reducing the size of your files, etc.

Becki

Try to make sure you are all the way out and you get that brown screen asking for your cabin number and name. I have a Samsung tablet and sometimes I thought I was all the way out but I wasn't. Once I got to that sign in screen for the cabin number, it was all great. Keep having fun!!

Are you on the Sky?

I agree with Peregrina as to the time of day and bandwidth availability. Haven't had the pleasure of sailing Viking Ocean yet (next year) but on the three times we sailed Viking River I had an occasional "problem" posting photos to FB but it was always during those highly competitive times when we were all back from our tours and getting ready for dinner. If I waited until later in the evening or first thing in the morning the posting of photos went as smooth as glass! Enjoy you cruise!

I am on the Sea. Beautiful ship!!

I am trying to post right now at midnight and should be wide open availability but Facebook won't even open.

How do I close all the way out of the WiFi? I have an iPad and have turned off the WiFi but when I turn the WiFi back on it remembers and I don't get to log back in?

On my Samsung I went to wifi settings and deleted the network. Then when I went to sign back in I had to go back to the main sign in menu with the room number etc. I bet you that somebody at guest services could help you and they are there 24 hours. I'm sure they have the same problem as I'm sure they are posting from their tablets back home. I'm sure it's a simple thing....you just need to know which button to push!

I just tried turning off WiFi and shutting the iPad all the way down. When I turned the iPad back on and the WiFi back on, it logged back in without any input from me.

Need we any further proof that Facebook is a tool of Satan? :evilsmile:

Facebook on my iPad is still in the spinning wheel of death. I was able to post pics on Facebook when ashore from my iPhone when I got a good WiFi signal.

I also notice that photos taken with my iPhone have not cynced with my iPad since we were on land in Stockholm. Maybe it is in a death spiral since it is trying to download all my pics??

I still have not been able to log out of the ship WiFi as suggested. I may make a trip to guest relations this afternoon.

Frustrating.

Need we any further proof that Facebook is a tool of Satan? :evilsmile:

Without a doubt!

If it is any comfort to the OP, FaceBook has been locking up for me the past few days too and I am nowhere near a ship. Maybe all that "hacking" that we have been reading about is still being disruptive?

Facebook on my iPad is still in the spinning wheel of death. I was able to post pics on Facebook when ashore from my iPhone when I got a good WiFi signal.

I also notice that photos taken with my iPhone have not cynced with my iPad since we were on land in Stockholm. Maybe it is in a death spiral since it is trying to download all my pics??

I still have not been able to log out of the ship WiFi as suggested. I may make a trip to guest relations this afternoon.

Frustrating.

As I wrote before, one way to deal with logging off the ship wifi (and out of FB too btw) is to essentially reboot your iPad. Turn it off. Turn it on. Another way - that I haven't mentioned - is to "renew your IP Lease" - which should effectively force a log off with the ship wifi. To do that, use settings...wifi. Press the little "I" to the right of your connection to the ship wifi. And select "Renew Lease". This will break your existing connection (lease) with the ship wifi. Alternatively, "uncheck" the ship wifi and choose "Other" which should produce the same effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tried shutting down the iPad all the way.

I tried going to the Viking Sea WiFi signal and clicking the "i" and clicking "forget this network ". When I go back the selecting Viking Sea , the dang thing logs me right back in - no password.

I have tried going to my photos setting and unchecked "upload to my photo stream". It shows 56 photos trying to upload.

Today my iPhone Facebook is also in 'lock down'. If I find land based WiFi, my iPhone behaves but because I tried to post 4 pictures as we left St Petersburg. It is still (24 hours later) trying to post.

Arghhh.

In wifi settings, turn off the "Ask to Join Networks" option. This will prevent your iPad from automatically logging into the Sea's wifi network. "Forget this network" is not the same as "Renew this lease". The latter logs you off the network, and gives you a new connection possibly with a new IP address. Also you might look thru any of your apps that maintain a history of where you've been, eg Safari, and clear them out. If you can explicitly log out of FB. That should terminate not suspend the upload transaction you're trying to fight. I can't imagine that FB manages upload transactions from its server and simply suspends an upload when the user loses their connection. Some sites do that as a courtesy but typically ask if you want to resume a previous interrupted upload. So you have the option to say no and not get stuck in upload hell.

Here's yet another easy thing to do.

1. Delete the FB app from your phone. Hold your finger on the app until it "jiggles" then touch the little x. It's gone.

2. Go to Safari. Enter Facebook.com/home

Then log in with your user name & password. (If you do not know or have this, forget this approach)

3. This means that to use FB now you need to go to Safari and then type in fa... once I get there mine shows Facebook.com/home.php.

I touch it and I'm in. You may need to type in more than f depending on your browsing history

This approach does not let the app run autonomously and will probably stop its bad behavior.

You can always reload the app when you're home and go to an Apple store if it misbehaves again.

You will lose NO data and you will be able to post...bandwidth permitting.

Glad you finally got the right fix. You could probably reinstall the fb app and do OK but I wouldn't until you get home and have better bandwidth. As philw1776 said, no data is lost because FB maintains all your data on its servers.