Question Regarding Custom's

Quick question. We're on a Panama Cruise Miami to San Francisco with a stop in San Diego. Do we clear Custom's in San Diego since it's the first US port? And just get off the ship in San Francisco without Custom's?

Thanks for your help. Rick

Quick question. We're on a Panama Cruise Miami to San Francisco with a stop in San Diego. Do we clear Custom's in San Diego since it's the first US port? And just get off the ship in San Francisco without Custom's?

Interesting question. As you board, most likely, Regent will collect your passport. You will collected it the day before you leave. You will clear Customs as you get off the ship becuase that's where Customs can inspect your bags.

The following is from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website about passengers (we rather suspect your bags won't go through Customs until San Francisco though):

"If the final destination is in the U.S. and the first port of arrival is in the U.S., travelers must clear immigration and customs at the first port of entry."

RonRick,

I have done the Panama cruise 3 times. Customs was always done in San Diego. Twice we went to the ship's theater and went through a "face-to-face" with the Customs officials there (having to stay on the ship until everyone had gone through the process). We were called down to the theater by our deck number.

The other time, we were processed in the terminal. You were not allowed to return to the ship until everyone had cleared. Those who did not have an excursion or other plans just had to sit and wait in the terminal.

I have not been able to use my Global Entry Card at any port -- (perhaps this is changing?). Our most recent cruise ended in Miami and it was the normal passport routine (in early April). Ports will need to purchase equipment in order to accommodate Global Entry/Nexus passes.

Rick, yes - you will be able to get off of the ship in San Francisco and go on your way!

Short story ...... since we live in Washington state and fly out of and into Vancouver, we go through the border (with our Nexus pass) and then go through passport control, etc. at the airport in Vancouver. When we return to Vancouver airport, they have machines for Global Entry and Nexus. Nexus identification is by iris scan (much faster than fingerprints). We are on our way quickly but still have to go through the border - again with our Nexus pass. Thankfully we do not get our passport stamped or else we would run out of pages quickly!

I'm going to ask this question here, because it is related. Do I need to bring my global entry card with me on the cruise or does it work the same as being at the airport?

At this point in time Global Entry is only good at one USA port; Port Everglades, Florida. It's been in place for close to 2 years at this USA port only.

Keith

I am just back from a cruise stopping in San Diego. We went through a face to face immigration inspection. We went through Customs in Los Angeles where we disembarked. It consisted of port employees collecting the customs declaration only in Los Angeles.

Interesting question. As you board, most likely, Regent will collect your passport. You will collected it the day before you leave. You will clear Customs as you get off the ship becuase that's where Customs can inspect your bags.

Last month, we took Explorer's TA Miami/Barcelona and kept our passports/ Maybe that was because we were disembarking in Barcelona.

Mary

Last month, we took Explorer's TA Miami/Barcelona and kept our passports/ Maybe that was because we were disembarking in Barcelona.

Mary

Mary, yes, Barcelona is the reason.

All of this is itinerary dependent.

Keith

I would also add that how the customs is handled will vary sometimes by port and even by cruise.

In the majority of cases one would have to hold onto their customs form until they get off at their final USA port. This is because even if they clear immigration in the first USA port of entry if you are not getting off until the next USA port and the shops on the ship are still open one could be purchasing duty free items there that need to be added to the customs card so often the final customs check is done at the final USA port where one disembarks.

As to that port I have had situations where an official from customs is on hand to collect the card and potentially look into someones luggage, cases where I have turned the card to one of those land reps who works for a company that the cruise line hires for assistance at the port and one time where no one (couldn't believe it) collected the card.

You just never know when ones final destination is the USA as the process is not always the same.

Keith