How Good a Value is VIVA VINO ???

OK you can bring your own wine and pay a corkage fee -or-

you can belly up to a bar or restaurant and have a glass or a half or full bottle served.

And then there is the VIVA VINO wine package.

I have reproduced the list from November 2013

In the blank spaces before the description of the wine and details I have

noted the full (750ml) bottle if purchased separately withOUT the package.

Some spaces are $xx because I could not find the exact bottle that one would

purchase in say a restaurant The figure shown is a close guess *

This more than ever should convince you of the significant savings by going with the package !

Do the math and remember to add the 15% gratuity

*****VIVA VINO*****

by Norwegian Cruise Line

Please list the number of

bottles for your selection

The Enthusiast

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

$28___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California

$26___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia

$30___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy

$27___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France

$xx $28*___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California

$26___ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia

$29___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina

$29___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California

$29___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile

$28___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

$33___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia

$39___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California

$31___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand

$32___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California

$xx $38* ___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California

$36___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California

$xx ??___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot - California

$37___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado" categories plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

$44___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California

$xx $53*___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California

$xx $48*___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California

$42___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California

$40___ Chareau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California

A 15% gratuity will be added to your check for all beverages orders. Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT for certain ports or itineraries

Though this was posted as a question, I think you are pointing out that the package is a decent deal, which we have done many times. As you know, some folks will still carry on about it... just check out any of the 4-5 other threads from the past two days about this.

Might be worth adding to one of those.

Edited by garycarla

Indeed the CC Forum is getting larger and larger and the Search field is getting

much like the internet something without bounds similar to our universe where

NO END is in site !

Thinking that maybe CC should subdivide itself in categories such as:

LIQUOR

BUTLER CABIN STEWARD SERVICE

DINING

SHORE EXCURSIONS

EMBARKING AND DISEMBARKING

But heck the system works as is and there is not much sense in confounding

the devil in or out of it. In other words leave well enough alone !

And YES I have noted the recent posts about the issue of Wine with NCL;

having contributed a few of my own here and there.

I haven't noticed it for a while, but there used to very often be posts on here from people saying how you can get discounts of up to 20% through Viva Vino. I'm not sure how they work that out, because if don't think I've ever saved less than 30%. It's a great deal.

There is still a use for carrying on though. If I can then I like to carry on a couple of bottles of wine that I particularly like which aren't available on the ship. It's nice to have them, and they are better quality than those included in the package. Viva Vino does avoid the need to carry on loads of bottles though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks OP for posting this info.

We have never bought a wine package and this is really good information to help us with that decision on our upcoming PC cruise. It is a go!!!

(Hello to you, fellow Minnesotan. Enjoying the All Star activities at all?)

Happy and safe cruising all!!

We usually purchase the viva vino package, but normally when we cruise with my Son and his friends. We plan to purchase it again on the Star in September.

One question, we are doing two cruises B2B. If we purchase the 8 bottle package and don't finish the 8 on the first cruise, will the ticket for the remaining bottles of wine still be good on the next cruise?

Indeed the CC Forum is getting larger and larger and the Search field is getting

much like the internet something without bounds similar to our universe where

NO END is in site !

Thinking that maybe CC should subdivide itself in categories such as:

LIQUOR

BUTLER CABIN STEWARD SERVICE

DINING

SHORE EXCURSIONS

EMBARKING AND DISEMBARKING

But heck the system works as is and there is not much sense in confounding

the devil in or out of it. In other words leave well enough alone !

And YES I have noted the recent posts about the issue of Wine with NCL;

having contributed a few of my own here and there.

I am not sure why people keep starting new threads on a topic that is being discussed right on the first page already.

Interesting, eh?

We have always ordered this package and it has worked out well for us. I do have them all delivered to the room so that I can chose what I want when I want. It is quite a bit of savings over buying buy the glass for sure. We have also brought on our own bottles when we go out of NYC. But hard yo do that traveling internationally to get to your port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We usually purchase the viva vino package, but normally when we cruise with my Son and his friends. We plan to purchase it again on the Star in September.

One question, we are doing two cruises B2B. If we purchase the 8 bottle package and don't finish the 8 on the first cruise, will the ticket for the remaining bottles of wine still be good on the next cruise?

I can't answer your question direclty, however I will say that there is no cost savings if you purchase 8 vs 4 or 6 (well some packages you may save 50 cents or so by purchasing 8 bottles vs 4).

You can have them delivered to your room and just bring them with you to the dining room as needed and/or just get two 4 bottle packages.

We have always ordered this package and it has worked out well for us. I do have them all delivered to the room so that I can chose what I want when I want. It is quite a bit of savings over buying buy the glass for sure. We have also brought on our own bottles when we go out of NYC. But hard yo do that traveling internationally to get to your port.

I did not know you could have them all delivered to your cabin! It never occurred to me. What a great idea; one that I will use. :p I knew the CC people always have good information even if a post may be a 'repeat'. ;)

Thanks!!!

Happy and safe cruising all!!!

I did not know you could have them all delivered to your cabin! It never occurred to me. What a great idea; one that I will use. :p I knew the CC people always have good information even if a post may be a 'repeat'. ;)

Thanks!!!

On the Epic they were really keen on delivering them to my room. They kept on making the point that if I lost the slips of paper then they wouldn't be replaced.

I could only assume that they have had trouble people losing the slips recently, so were trying to encourage people to have the bottles instead.

On the Epic they were really keen on delivering them to my room. They kept on making the point that if I lost the slips of paper then they wouldn't be replaced.

I could only assume that they have had trouble people losing the slips recently, so were trying to encourage people to have the bottles instead.

Sounds like the staff on the EPIC is trying to avoid WORK - that 4 letter word

and put the onus of bottle control in the hands of the bottle holder - certainly

not NCL EPIC !

Curious - so you have the bottles in your cabin and head off to a restaurant

with a bottle or two - I like my white wines slightly chilled - so the waiter

(wine steward) takes my bottle and places it ice bucket and a few minutes

later uncorks it and serves it.

Now my ??? the left over wine (I have read here that this is not possible LOL!)

IS it tagged and corked and sent to vault/cabinet for my use at another

bar/restaurant later or next day -

-or- do I have to lug it with me back to my cabin for use at another sitting ?

The system on the NCL SUN July 2013 was flawless - but then I did not lose

my little slip of paper and I left the caretaking of the bottles to NCL SUN who

did an admiral job of wine caretaking and accountability ! 5 Stars *****

Sounds like the staff on the EPIC is trying to avoid WORK - that 4 letter word

and put the onus of bottle control in the hands of the bottle holder - certainly

not NCL EPIC !

Curious - so you have the bottles in your cabin and head off to a restaurant

with a bottle or two - I like my white wines slightly chilled - so the waiter

(wine steward) takes my bottle and places it ice bucket and a few minutes

later uncorks it and serves it.

Now my ??? the left over wine (I have read here that this is not possible LOL!)

IS it tagged and corked and sent to vault/cabinet for my use at another

bar/restaurant later or next day -

-or- do I have to lug it with me back to my cabin for use at another sitting ?

The system on the NCL SUN July 2013 was flawless - but then I did not lose

my little slip of paper and I left the caretaking of the bottles to NCL SUN who

did an admiral job of wine caretaking and accountability ! 5 Stars *****

I don't think it was anything about trying to avoid work. They genuinely were concerned about me losing the slips. I'm pretty sure it was for the reason I stated, that people had lost them previously.

I did take the slips, as that's my preference, but they were still reminding me to keep them safe as I walked away.

No problem with them storing the wine as usual. I often have some wine left over after dinner as my wife and I drink different wines.

I have been on numerous NCL cruises and never really gave this package much thought. My husband and I will purchase a bottle with dinner some nights, and other nights just purchase by the glass. But, this really does look like some great savings. How does this work? Do I have to order at one time, and tell them if I want them sent to my suite or have them available for me in the dining room?

I have been on numerous NCL cruises and never really gave this package much thought. My husband and I will purchase a bottle with dinner some nights, and other nights just purchase by the glass. But, this really does look like some great savings. How does this work? Do I have to order at one time, and tell them if I want them sent to my suite or have them available for me in the dining room?

You select the wine you want and fill out a form. They give you a slip of paper for each bottle which you just hand in at a bar or dining room whenever you want one. You can have them sent to your room instead if you want.

You select the wine you want at the time of ordering, but people have reported being able to change your selection for others within the same group.

There is still a use for carrying on though. If I can then I like to carry on a couple of bottles of wine that I particularly like which aren't available on the ship. It's nice to have them, and they are better quality than those included in the package. Viva Vino does avoid the need to carry on loads of bottles though.

Buying the wine package on cruises has always worked out great for us.

I'm not familiar with being able to carry on a few bottles~I like that idea!

Can you tell me what NCL charges for the corkage fee at dinner?

What if you want to have the "carry-on" wine in your cabin, will they add a fee at the time you carry it onto the ship?

Is there a limit to how many (perhaps 5?) bottles you can carry on?

Great information in this thread, thank you!

You can carry on as much as you like. The corkage fee is $15 for a 750 ml bottle. It's payable when you board and applies wherever you drink it.

The corkage fee means that it doesn't work out much cheaper than VIva Vino unless you are buying expensive bottles. That's why I just carry on a couple that they don't sell on the ship.

I am assuming wine glasses are readily available? do you get them from room steward? or a bar? or ??? what about a corkscrew - guess it should be packed as well?

Thanks!!!

Ditto. This will come in handy.

I am assuming wine glasses are readily available? do you get them from room steward? or a bar? or ??? what about a corkscrew - guess it should be packed as well?

We've had wine glasses already in the cabin on arrival, as well as a corkscrew.

Now this is EITHER because I had pre-ordered a bottle of wine for the cabin......OR NCL knows me so well after only 3 cruises!! :D

Thanks for describing the wine packages. We never considered this before because we just assumed it was just for the dining room. Definitely taking advantage of it next cruise. We'll probably split the bottles between the cabin and dining rooms.

BTW, we always keep a corkscrew and bottle opener in our 'travel' pouch. Just be sure to put it in checked bags when flying.