The Grandeur --Date of Sailing 04/23/05 (SHOULD OF BEEN)

I was just wondering if anyone followed up w/RCC to see if there will be any other credits for future bookings if you were on board for the date of sailing 05/28/05 (sailed on 05/30/05)....

I must say I never had any problems w/RCC until the mess we experienced ...I do believe accidents do happen however the Custumer Service following the "crash" was handled terrible....I believe $300.00 a cabin was not enough money to compensate the chg in the ports nor for the incovenience...

Ive been back over a week and a part of me is still upset...When I think of the money I spend for a relaxing vacation that I didnt get Im not happy...

SO...DID ANYONE TRY TO GET AT LEAST A CREDIT FOR A FUTURE CRUISE OR ANYTHING MORE....

I feel like RCC really doesnt care if we sail again w/them...and I may not...

Let me know

They gave you options before your cruise including a full refund. Why are you expecting more, after choosing the $300 onboard credit?

Just asking. Don't take this personally.:)

Have you written a letter to RCI expressing your disappointment and documenting any expenses that you incurred from Saturday to Monday? I understood that they would look at things on a case by case basis.

They gave you options before your cruise including a full refund. Why are you expecting more, after choosing the $300 onboard credit?

Just asking. Don't take this personally.:)

The full refund was definitely the better option financially for those that knew about the shortened cruise early enough to avoid traveling to New Orleans. Those that had already left their homes were somewhat over a barrel and probably went ahead and took the cruise and the credit. Either way, I think they all got less than they deserved from Royal Caribbean.

I agree that it was unfair compensation for having a scheduled/paid 7 day cruise turned into a 5 day. Definitely follow up with RCI. Be polite but firm and detail your issues. Don't take "no" for an answer. Ask to speak with a supervisor, and if necessary, the supervisor's supervisor. The company has said that they'll examine special circumstances on a case by case basis. Good luck.

(I hope you enjoyed your 5 days) :)

The full refund was definitely the better option financially for those that knew about the shortened cruise early enough to avoid traveling to New Orleans. Those that had already left their homes were somewhat over a barrel and probably went ahead and took the cruise and the credit. Either way, I think they all got less than they deserved from Royal Caribbean.

Granted. $300 was a bum deal from the get go. I personally would have taken the refund, but that's me. I found that to be the better of the two deals.

My wife and I took the refund. but it looks like RCI Customer Service is trying to sour us as well. We got an immediate $36 refund for the taxes because that is mandated by law (per the RCI rept when asked by my DW). It will take at least 2 more weeks to get another $1080 (they will have held this money for at least a month), and the date which we will receive the final $156 is TBD. The CS rept was rude as well. I plan to notify the La. Attorney General's office (yeah, I know that is probably a waste of time), and we are writing a letter to send to RCI to express our disappointment. It doesn't make any sense why RCI has taken a seemingly hostile attitude towards all of the 4/25 passengers.

Seems to me a fair way to refund would be take what you paid per person (if 2 in a cabin), and divide that by 7 days. That gives you the cost per person per day. Multiply that by 5 days and refund the rest.

Example if each person in the cabin paid $1000 each for 7 days that is @142 per day. $142 x 5 = $710.

In this example each PERSON gets $300 back.

Are not rates based per cabin however?

Still $300 per cabin seems a little low in the above example.

I took the refund but have written to RCCL requesting compensation for my airline ticket and change fees. I have not heard as yet but will continue follow-up.

It is my understanding from some of my pals who did cruise that RCCL is once again giving conflicting information -- they were told at the pier on Monday that RCCL would reimburse for the weekend's hotel charges. After they returned, they are being told only the cruise/air passengers would be reimbursed or only those who moved to the Hyatt would be reimbursed.

Aside from the fact that the 7 day/3port cruise became a 5day/2 port cruise for the same price - I think the lack of information as well as conflicting information riled us up a bit.

RCC never contacted us...My daughter found out 1/2 hr prior to boarding the plain...it was a shock...i quess everyone has a point about the refund..however it was like we were between a rock and a hard place due to the timing...

Im looking at the ports of call...and in my eyes the cruise was not really a 5 day cruise....they wouldnt let us on the ship until late afternoon on monday and all we did was hang out at the hotel because there was no set time in when we were leaving the hotel for the ship...and key west is a place i can visit for 1/2 the money...i been there and done that...tee k

I quess what I would like to see is a small insentive (maybe even 15% off the next booking) to travel w/them again, because once on board it seemed thing were just not up to RR standers...even the birthday cake i preorder was forgotten besides the wine and cheese and fruit basket.....and when i got the cake (after i had to "remind" them) the name on the cake was mine not my travel partner's...we all :) and we gave the cake to our ass. waiter..after we took our cake...

I must say...I did win money on board which coverage all the extra money that was spent..so I came home with all my money...The trip was just disappointing....I guess we all have one trip in life that is not what one anticipates...

We booked the trip directly w/RRC and it was like they didnt care about telling us of the problem...next time i will confirm my travel plans hours before we leave...i confirmed the traval on tues..and i believe the accident happened on wed/thurs...

Thanks again for your input

Our group of 18 that took the cruise felt like we were treated poorly on the cruise as well. We are all writing to RC to express our disappointment in hopes that RC will reconsider their compensation and offer us a discount on our next RC cruise. If not, there will be no next RC cruise!!!:cool:

In my opinion, the cruise line did not do the right thing for their customer's.

To give a little background on why I feel this way, last year I was on the Sept. 5 sailing on Explorer. If you are not aware, the ship was scheduled to leave on Sunday, but due to Hurricane Frances being off of the coast and moving very slowly across the panhandle, it was delayed. We wound up getting on the ship Monday afternoon. We actually made it down to Miami on Sunday night aware that the cruise was to be delayed by a day. Royal Caribbean had already posted an update stating that anyone who wished to cancel would get a refund and that anyone who boarded the ship would get a $250 on ship credit per stateroom. On top of this, you would get 50% off a future booking that had to be used by Dec 2005. In addition to this, when we arrived at Miami Airport, they bussed us to a hotel and put us up for the night. This being said I was pleased with what they did for the patrons on this sailing.

As for the Granduer problem, I am finding it hard to why they only gave $300 per stateroom, especially since the cruise was shortened by 2 days. That is surely not a good way to generate more repeat customers.

In my opinion, the cruise line did not do the right thing for their customer's.

To give a little background on why I feel this way, last year I was on the Sept. 5 sailing on Explorer. If you are not aware, the ship was scheduled to leave on Sunday, but due to Hurricane Frances being off of the coast and moving very slowly across the panhandle, it was delayed. We wound up getting on the ship Monday afternoon. We actually made it down to Miami on Sunday night aware that the cruise was to be delayed by a day. Royal Caribbean had already posted an update stating that anyone who wished to cancel would get a refund and that anyone who boarded the ship would get a $250 on ship credit per stateroom. On top of this, you would get 50% off a future booking that had to be used by Dec 2005. In addition to this, when we arrived at Miami Airport, they bussed us to a hotel and put us up for the night. This being said I was pleased with what they did for the patrons on this sailing.

As for the Granduer problem, I am finding it hard to why they only gave $300 per stateroom, especially since the cruise was shortened by 2 days. That is surely not a good way to generate more repeat customers.

This is one of the things that will go into our letter to RCI questioning why a situation caused by an act of nature is compensated better than a situation that their employee (captain) took full responsibility for the accident. Notice I said accident, just like when you have an accident on the highway, someone is at fault and must pay.

My question to all those that were on or scheduled to be on this sailing; Did your TA or RCI rep ever inform you of $125/person and 25% off next cruise? I was initially told this from my TA and then it changed to $300/person. I know the TA does not speak on behalf of RCI but I had 3 other people on this cruise all with different TAs tell me they were told the same thing Thursday before sailing. Makes me curious.

For the record, we had a heck of a time and enjoyed ourselves. Met some fun people had great service from the cruise staff........but I've done the same on a competitor's line for less money.

My question to all those that were on or scheduled to be on this sailing; Did your TA or RCI rep ever inform you of $125/person and 25% off next cruise? I was initially told this from my TA and then it changed to $300/person. I know the TA does not speak on behalf of RCI but I had 3 other people on this cruise all with different TAs tell me they were told the same thing Thursday before sailing. Makes me curious.

Our T/A also informed us of $125/person and 25% off next cruise. This was based on a schedule arrival time at New Orleans on Sunday (1 day delay).

Glad to hear you were able to have a good cruise in spite of it all

:mad: My wife and I were on that infamous cruise and I can say this outright"no more compensation will come". 1500 travelers to them is very small and that few upset patrons does not affect them at all. The only horror story I can tell you is we tried to upgrage to a balcony and they wanted $200 of our $300 shipboard credit back. That's classless and to make matters worse, I sent them an e-mail the day of our return and have yet to get a response back. This confirms my idea that they really don't care. My T/A is also not a happy person as he sends numerous travelers there way and feels we're getting shafted.

We were on this cruise too. Since we flew into NO before the accident we did not take the 'full' credit since we had used our airfare and paid a couple of days for our hotel. We faxed copies of our receipts for food and hotel for the 2 days we should have been on the ship. We faxed last week and still have heard NOTHING from RCCL. They compensated the 4/16 passengers well but those of us on the 4/25 seem to be getting a bad deal. We like the X line and RCCL but if this is what customer service is going to be like, we will think about Princess and maybe even give Carnival (oh-no) another try.

We were supposed to be on this sailing, but decided late Thursday night (which is when they finally posted the plans). That 5 days and $300 for a party of three was no good. Also, we had a 5-yo and didn't want to spend all that time in NOLA.

I know I called RCI no less than 6 times that Thursday and got THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I have ever experienced. One person even told me not to call any more, that they weren't giving out information.

The next day, we tried to transfer to another ship, seeing as there was availability, they would not even do that for us.....

We ended up transferring to Celebrity Century, which was WONDERFUL. But, we had to eat the air and drive (1200 miles each way to FLL) and also pay an upcharge and cancellation penalties on the hotel in NOLA.

This was to be our first on RCI, and I know I will never even consider another.

CJ

CJBEE: Just for your info Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean. I do like the X cruises a lot. But if you are boycotting RCCL this is something you should know.

All other 4/25 cruisers: We did get some added comensation but we did not get all of our expenses paid. Even though we did everything including buying the cruise line insurance. Anyone get any future credits? It seems very rare for a situation like ours did not include some (even minimal 10% off) future credits.

See my posting under "Be Careful with Royal Caribbean"

RCI NEVER ADVISED US OF THE DELAY. I found out quite accidently from a "teaser" prior to the nightly news.

They never returned my calls.

I had booked two cabins directly through RCI's website.

We felt the minimal refund and change of port was a "rip-off" so we cancelled. I was advised that a refund would be made to my credit card within 2-3 weeks. It still isn't here and a call at the beginning of last week hasn't helped. Neither did 32 minutes on hold today.

Pls advise of any luck you have in getting $$$ back.

allicanget@bellsouth.net:mad:

I'm still waiting for a response from 4 weeks ago. We forwarded all our N/O receipts and sent an e-mail along with a letter, but as of today, NOTHING.

Any communications would at least satisfy my wife and me. This is awful, we were told by a supv in N/O that our lodging would be covered and a per diem of $35 per person. We did exactuly what they told us to do and to not even hear a peep is very dis-concerning. If anyone hears anything at all, pass it along

Archived