Super Bowl Ad

Tarpeian Rock

I liked the ad. :)

I think it was creative and well done.

President Kennedy has been dead over 50 years. It's not a raw wound at this point. JMO

Edited by sail7seas

Did anyone else see the CCL brand Ad the first quarter of the Super Bowl?

I thought it was very good.

It listed all of the cruise lines under Carnival at the end including HAL. I did not expect it since I never see HAL on any of these type of advertisements.

Edited by Jade13

Did anyone else see the CCL brand Ad the first quarter of the Super Bowl?

I thought it was very good.

It listed all of the cruise lines under Carnival at the end including HAL. I did not expect it since I never see HAL on any of these type of advertisements.

Yes, saw it with a bunch of Navy friends. We all thought it was going to be a recruiting ad for the US Navy -wrong! Personally, I thought the voiceover was a little weak and it really didn't relate to the Carnival corporation until the very end unless you were familiar with the various Carnival cororation companies and their ships. Possibly a good ad for cruising in general.

Some of the reviews kind of panned it, though.

There was a definite overall seriousness of most of the ads last night--this one was on the lighter side of seriousness!

Of course, I am all about any ad that reminds me I need a cruise!:rolleyes:

We all came from the Ocean? Sorry... the evolution theory annoys me.

I hear during the Oscars they are gonna have a commercial that is a take off on Inherit The Wind . And they are going to debate the Carnival Monkey Trial.

I liked the ad - didn't take it too seriously and I have always loved the quote from JFK. "I really don’t know why it is that all of us are so committed to the sea, except I think it’s because in addition to the fact that the sea changes, and the light changes, and ships change, it’s because we all came from the sea. And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea – whether it is to sail or to watch it – we are going back from whence we came.”

We got an e-mail from World's Leading Cruise Lines (which I think is Carnival Corp) a few weeks ago asking us to vote for the Superbowl Ad. There were 4 to chose from. We actually chose to vote for a different one (Message in a Bottle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ0GsNUJqbw) but were sure that the Cruise Virgin ad would win (in football, sex sells, right?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Bzwo-Hz2I) Anyway, I liked the ad.

It's an Ad....it's the Superbowl. It's not a political statement - it's selling cruises. I think that some are just over thinking it. :)

On Maasdam Jan 2 cruise we were shown all 3 potential ads on 3 consecutive nights and asked to vote on which one should be selected. All 3 were each very different from the others. The one they finally chose wasn't the one I would have picked. Nor do I believe the results of our voting (and it was probably done on other HAL ships at the time) had anything to do with the final selection.

I liked the ad - didn't take it too seriously and I have always loved the quote from JFK. "I really don’t know why it is that all of us are so committed to the sea, except I think it’s because in addition to the fact that the sea changes, and the light changes, and ships change, it’s because we all came from the sea. And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea – whether it is to sail or to watch it – we are going back from whence we came.”

We got an e-mail from World's Leading Cruise Lines (which I think is Carnival Corp) a few weeks ago asking us to vote for the Superbowl Ad. There were 4 to chose from. We actually chose to vote for a different one (Message in a Bottle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ0GsNUJqbw) but were sure that the Cruise Virgin ad would win (in football, sex sells, right?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Bzwo-Hz2I) Anyway, I liked the ad.

It's an Ad....it's the Superbowl. It's not a political statement - it's selling cruises. I think that some are just over thinking it. :)

Agree completely...I'm old enough to know who JFK was...and I found the ad moving...but it's an ad shown during the Superbowl...that's all

Being a ex-Naval Officer I knew from whence JFK was coming in those comments. And let's get real how many people were turned off by the allusions to the origin of life on earth??

To be honest it was visually stunning. No stress on the party atmosphere shipboard, no getting any class conscious shots of attire on formal night. Just beautiful ships at sea. I think it was a positive impact commercial. How many times has 'taking a cruise' even been featured in a Super Bowl ad?? Maybe Disney Cruise Lines.....

The could have left off Costa :). That got a chuckle from the watching party I was at.

Dennis

Great plug for cruising! :) I didn't watch the Stupor Bowl but just watched the ad on YouTube (thanks for posting the link) and thought it was really good!

And yes, I'm sure many viewers had no clue that was JFK's voice but for those of us who lived during that era, his voice is of course immediately recognizable.