Danger in Nassau

ERsecurity

Just back from Nassau on the Glory. Since back I have heard about the current danger and robberies of cruise ship passengers.

Carnival never warned us of the crime wave.

Do a Google search with 'Nassau cruise ship passengers robbed' and see the latest. The latest robberies were last week and it included tour guides with tours being robbed.

I'll be the first to say that Nassau is a dung heap. Pushy people, expensive beer, dead shore corral, etc. Don't like it!

We did a walking tour on our own last year and didn't feel the least bit threatened. Ok, maybe a little. We went to the fort, went down the QUeens staircase (where people have been getting robbed lately).

All I can say is despite my past non victim past, I'd be careful in that area. The port area and stores nearby should be safe though and I usually see a number of police people in that area patrolling as well.

Well I can't speak for others ,Nassau for me is just as safe as any town in the states .

Having the pleasure of visiting Nassau quite often I feel as safe as in Myrtle Beach. My wife and I have taken the Jitney as well as cabs with no problems. Just the two of us .

As with any town or island ,just keep your eyes open and be alert to your surroundings .

Today, everyone has to be watchful wherever they go. However, We were on the new "Carnival Dream" 8 day cruise to Pt. Canaveral and Nassau and Grand Bahama week of Nov.15th. Myself and Hubby noticed a very heavy presence of Military Soldiers and Police at the Pier and in town. There were some very unsavory looking people on Bay Street and We were very uncomfortable walking about. We have been here many times and never felt this way. Then when We got home on Monday, read about the cruise passengers being robbed on a "Segway Tour" and recently people being robbed on the Queens Stairs. You just can't be too careful. I also feel Carnival should have warned their passengers to be alert and on guard while in Nassau. No harm in that. We, ourselves knew something was up when so many Soldiers were on the pier and stopping and questioning people. They stopped us and asked us on our way into town off the ship where We were going. This didn't make me feel very good. In fact, it made me uneasy. So everyone, be careful and be alert while travelling.

I love Nassau. I don't have a problem walking around town and taking public transportation in Nassau.

There are many US cities where I would feel unsafe. Detroit anyone?

If the cruise lines need to warn clients to be careful, they will need to do it for every port everywhere. Once you do that, then the warning becomes meaningless. Kind of like an orange alert. What person would not be careful anywhere they travel?

Just back from Nassau on the Glory. Since back I have heard about the current danger and robberies of cruise ship passengers.

Do a Google search with 'Nassau cruise ship passengers robbed' and see the latest. The latest robberies were last week and it included tour guides with tours being robbed.

Was that their job too???

Well I can't speak for others ,Nassau for me is just as safe as any town in the states .

Having the pleasure of visiting Nassau quite often I feel as safe as in Myrtle Beach. My wife and I have taken the Jitney as well as cabs with no problems. Just the two of us .

As with any town or island ,just keep your eyes open and be alert to your surroundings .

There was a terrible shooting today of police in the state of Washington, maybe no one should go there.

You just have to take the best care of yourself you can, no matter where you go.

I have to agree with these three posters!! You never know where something can/will happen...I live near Omaha, NE and when I was on a cruise over a year ago there was a shootout in a Von Maur department store in the mall in Omaha. I still go to that mall. It was a terrible tragedy that happened there and people died from the shootings but no one could have thought it would happen. We can not simply run and hide from tragedy we have to learn from it, adapt, and move on. Things happen everywhere anymore, we are not safe at school, home, on a cruise ship, off a cruise ship, no where. We just need to watch out for ourselves like the poster said, take the best care that we can.

It doesn't matter where you vacation. There is ALWAYS dangers to one

level or another.

As a season travel it your responsibility to do research and be careful no mater

where you are at.

I think the OP is raising a valid point regarding the situation in Nassau. Yes, of course there is crime everywhere. We've had several police officers killed recently, over nothing more than apparently nut jobs having it out for them.

Thing is, for the most part in this city or anywhere I've traveled, as an average joe not looking for drugs, stumbling around drunk or involved in criminal activity - I am pretty safe in the circles I travel. I would need to venture into the rough part of town & behave in ways I don't behave in order to target myself. Not so the situation in Nassau, where apparently tourists have been robbed in broad daylight, not in some back alley but at the top of the Queen's Staircase.

The cruise I have booked has an overnight port stay in Nassau. There is no way I am going to manage to NOT look like a tourist. I've changed my plans to simply explore on my own & do a walking tour in the day & then check out the clubs later that night. Not sure what we are going to do now. Neither my friend or I are shrinking violets but we aren't into offering up our limited resources to the local robbers.

Nassua is a pit and always has been. We have been there once and that was enough. Never chose it as a port of call again. Best thing to do is stay onboard.

As with anywhere you need to watch what you are doing and stay away from dark alleys, unlicensed cabbies, etc. I enjoy myself in Nassau BUT I go to a resort, pay for a day pass and never have a care. If you realize you are not in Disney World and that Nassau is another country, you will be fine. Lots of nice people and nice places... right at the pier/port you get a real mix of good/bad.

I love Nassau. I don't have a problem walking around town and taking public transportation in Nassau.

There are many US cities where I would feel unsafe. Detroit anyone?

If the cruise lines need to warn clients to be careful, they will need to do it for every port everywhere. Once you do that, then the warning becomes meaningless. Kind of like an orange alert. What person would not be careful anywhere they travel?

My wife and I go downtown to Detroit, often for sporting events, theater, clubs or to eat at one of the awesome restaurants. Like anywhere, there are places I wouldn't walk alone at night, and people just have to be cogniscent of their safety wherever they might go.

I think what the OP is referring to is the recent crime wave that has been happening in Nassau. It has become so bad that some cruise lines (Disney & RC) have suspended some shore-based excursions because of it.

I believe that most people are not ignorant when it comes to personal safety and that they are aware of their surroundings and they know to be on guard.

However, in this case, I do believe that the cruise lines should issue some sort of warning. If cruise passengers are being targeted and being held at gun-point and robbed at sites in the city that have always been deemed "safe", then they should be told to avoid those areas or to be extra careful.

I think what the OP is referring to is the recent crime wave that has been happening in Nassau. It has become so bad that some cruise lines (Disney & RC) have suspended some shore-based excursions because of it.

They stopped ONE shore excursion - the Segway - none other. In my op it was done in an unsafe area... I personally rode by where people were learning to use one and I don't think I would have gotten out it that area. I think the cruise lines might want to look into the area that was used for that excursion.

Nassau is fine... as for how to tell a "valid" taxi... they have numbers/names on the side/top... also get one at a resort and it's legal.

So how does one determine whether a taxi is licensed in the Bahamas? Is it displayed on the exterior of the cab? Will be going to Atlantis for the day... I must say I'm uncomfortable with the tourists being targeted :(

I thought I already posted this, but it didn't come up - so I'm hoping this isn't a double post.

I was checking out the state dept travel page and found this - http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_989.html

advises the real taxis have yellow license plates and are clearly marked as being taxis.

Clearly, Nassau is having a crime problem at the moment. The fact that someone didn't feel threatened 6 months ago, or the fact that there is crime elsewhere, is not relevant.

I'm surprised that the local law enforcement seems so ineffective. Maybe they are understaffed or something. I don't think anyone is being silly or foolish in staying away until this subsides.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and took a taxi twice without checking the plates and didn't have any problems. I never felt threatened while in Nassau, maybe because we stayed pretty much in the tourist areas, walking up and down Bay street and some side streets as well as going to the fish fry for lunch or maybe we just gave off the right vibe with always having a Kalik beer in hand and a smiling face! :D

Thanks for the replies! What a shame this crazy stuff is going on, just trying to be careful where I can be ;)

I love Nassau. It's not much different from any other city anywhere in the world. If you look like a victim, you will become a victim.

Perhaps, but unfortunately these crimes had nothing to do with ones mindset... you can hardly say that the 27 people who had prearranged guided tours were targeted because they acted like victims. No one wants to think about being forced to lay face down on the ground by a guy with a gun who is intending to rob you, especially on vacation. Of course you should never let your guard down regardless of where you go, but people rely on these tours as a safe way to venture into unfamiliar territory.

Archived