Turkish Delight - Istanbul or Kusadasi?

I would get it in Istanbul and make sure that it is fresh, preferably from a real specialty shop and not from one of the bazaars. (You should be able to choose the flavors you want and watch them box it up for you.)

I have read several reports of people buying it in prewrapped boxes at Ephesus near Kusadasi and reporting it was terrible.

Another vote for an Istanbul specialty shop, where it should be fresher. Consume ASAP! We brought back some boxes as gifts, and when invited to share them, we were very disappointed at how much less yummy they were, only two weeks after purchasing. Turkish delight is fantastic when it's fresh, but it quickly loses flavor.

I have gotten it both places and find the quality to be pretty much equal. There is a small candy/baklava shop in the mall at the Kusadasi pier that sells very fresh Turkish delight, and wonderful varieties of Baklava. The Turkish delight is available both loose and prepackaged. The advantage to the loose is that you can select your flavors. It is an easy candy to transport, stores well, and stays fresh for months. I have been enjoying it as long as I can remember (my grandmother made it by hand). If it doesn't last at least six months after you get back it was stale to begin with.

You can't really go wrong purchasing at either stop.

Edited by zqvol

• 4 weeks later...
We will be looking to buy some Turkish delight when we are in port. Any suggestions as to where to purchase it? We will be in Istanbul and Kusadasi.

Thank you.

The Boss sez Koska is the best she's ever had. Store is right on the street 50/feet from Metro Station about 4/blks up the hill (West) from Blue Mosque. Ridiculously Delightful stuff. Write down the word KOSKA on a note and locals will direct you to it. Enjoy. Locomotiveman Tom

Istanbul. The last shop on the right hand side before heading outside the back entrance of the Spice Market. This is a huge shop with very fresh Turkish delights, many varieties. They vacuum pack your pick and box them neatly. Do not ever buy pre-packaged ones.

• 5 months later...

Istanbul. The Goluc? Gozic? (Begins with a G) shop in the spice bazaar. you choose your selections, they vacuum pack it up. we went in september and it's still fresh now. Also Ali Usta Burma right on divanyolo. good chocolate baklava too.

Istanbul is the place for Turkish delight. We got ours at Haci Bekir, just outside of the Spice Market building. You can try it before buy it. Also lots of vendors in the Spice Market sell them too. Definitely no shortage of vendors, lots of choices too, some you never heard of. :)

I recommend tasting before buying! I was so excited to go to Turkey and buy some real Turkish delight, having grown up on the chocolate covered Cadbury version. I was kind of shocked to find out the real McCoy tasted nothing like the English confection. :cool:

I recommend tasting before buying! I was so excited to go to Turkey and buy some real Turkish delight, having grown up on the chocolate covered Cadbury version. I was kind of shocked to find out the real McCoy tasted nothing like the English confection. :cool:

Yes, I remember Cadbury's Turkish delight, we also had Fry's Turkish delight (owned by Cadbury's) whose advertising slogan was 'full of eastern promise'.

We bought prepackaged stuff last time and assumed I just didn't like it. Maybe I'm ready to try again.

I made the same mistake first time - bought some prepackaged in Istanbul's Grand Bazaar. It was truly nasty. Second trip I was hesitant to try again but after some coaxing, I relented - I bought fresh, chose my poison & had it wrapped - it was wonderful!

I remember seeing TD in Izmir's Kemeraltı District - lots of shops from which to choose but cannot recommend any as I didn't purchase there.

I made the same mistake first time - bought some prepackaged in Istanbul's Grand Bazaar. It was truly nasty. Second trip I was hesitant to try again but after some coaxing, I relented - I bought fresh, chose my poison & had it wrapped - it was wonderful!

I remember seeing TD in Izmir's Kemeraltı District - lots of shops from which to choose but cannot recommend any as I didn't purchase there.

We have been to Kudadasi before and did the whole Ephesus thing. This time our whole goal of the port is to find some turkish delight.

We have been to Kudadasi before and did the whole Ephesus thing. This time our whole goal of the port is to find some turkish delight.

I like Turkish Delight, but not sure I'd put it ahead of all the many other things to do near Kusadasi. (And I've been there quite a few times. :D)

Enjoy your time and have fun shopping! I won't get to buy my Turkish delight, as NCL is no longer stopping in Turkey this year........it stays on the bucket list, hope to make it there one day.

• 1 month later...
I like Turkish Delight, but not sure I'd put it ahead of all the many other things to do near Kusadasi. (And I've been there quite a few times. :D)

Hello, I will be in Kusadasi in July. I have all ready seen Ephesus last time we were in Turkey. Since you said you have been there, what do you suggest we do (we are on a cruise - so we only have several hours). What sites are there to see in Kusadasi? Any help would be greatly appreciated!