Hapag-LLoyd Europa 2.

English Voyager

Just watched the four videos. Looks stunning. Is Europa 2 all inclusive if alcohol and gratuities?

Gratuities are included.

Although alcohol is not included, the prices of wines and spirits are reasonable.

Prices are in Euros, so the devaluation of the Euro is an additional benefit.

Further to my last post, I forgot to mention that there is an automatically applied Beverage Credit.

The amount of the Credit is dependent on the length of the cruise, and back to back cruises will have their respective Beverage Credit applied.

The maximum Credit, per cruise, is Euros 200.

Just watched the four videos. Looks stunning. Is Europa 2 all inclusive if alcohol and gratuities?

Tipping is not expected so you could say its included. Alcohol is not however they give North Americans a 200 euro OBC to cover some. The ship is beautiful and the open space is amazing. I loved the two deck covered pool area.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

As far as UK clients are concerned, Hapag-Lloyd's website is still utilising an exchange rate of Euros1.175=£1.

The current rate is Euros1.408=£1.

I have raised this subject with Hapag-Lloyd in Germany, and I am currently awaiting a reply.

I have addressed my e-mail to Michael Steffl, who is the Manager, Sales Management International.

If you feel inclined to write, his e-mail address is

michael.steffl@hlkf.de

We would be very interested in hearing of any reply you get.

We've just today held off making a booking for 2016 as this ridiculous exchange rate would result in us paying >£4,000 more than we should - for nothing !

We would be very interested in hearing of any reply you get.

We've just today held off making a booking for 2016 as this ridiculous exchange rate would result in us paying >£4,000 more than we should - for nothing !

I have been advised by Hapag-Lloyd that due to technical reasons the rate of exchange adopted for the current brochure, which covers all itineraries until April 2016, cannot be amended during the course of this brochure.

The adopted rate of exchange is Euro 1= £ 0.85.

The current rate of exchange is Euro 1= £ 0.72

For cruises from May 2016 Hapag-Lloyd will adopt a rate of exchange of Euro 1= £ 0.75.

With regard to making a booking for next year, have you just priced your cruise from Hapag-Lloyd's website, or have you obtained a price from their UK Agent in Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex?

If you have not contacted their UK Agent, I would suggest that there is nothing to be lost by making an enquiry regarding the price of the cruise in which you are interested.

Edited by English Voyager

I have been advised by Hapag-Lloyd that due to technical reasons the rate of exchange adopted for the current brochure, which covers all itineraries until April 2016, cannot be amended during the course of this brochure.

The adopted rate of exchange is Euro 1= £ 0.85.

The current rate of exchange is Euro 1= £ 0.72

For cruises from May 2016 Hapag-Lloyd will adopt a rate of exchange of Euro 1= £ 0.75.

With regard to making a booking for next year, have you just priced your cruise from Hapag-Lloyd's website, or have you obtained a price from their UK Agent in Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex?

If you have not contacted their UK Agent, I would suggest that there is nothing to be lost by making an enquiry regarding the price of the cruise in which you are interested.

My UK agent has a set of sterling rates for the HL cruises which reflect the poor exchange rate we have noted.

However my agent has advised me that they would have no problem in taking payment from me in Euros, assuming I am able to make a Euro payment in to their Euro account.

So - I may well go down this route.

• 2 weeks later...
This review does feature the restaurants.

I have looked at this and a lot of on-line reviews about the Europa2 restaurants as I am very interested in this ship, but have been unable to find a sample menu from Weltmeere, the main restaurant. I understand Weltmeere serves " international cuisine" including lobster, and shellfish, and you can get German sausages as comfort food for lunch on the ship. But I cannot tell if they also serve any upscale southern German or Swiss or Austrian food, such as duck or goose with red cabbage, dumplings and gravy, or tender pork or veal Schnitzels with special sauces and Spaetzle, or similar, like one can get in fine traditional Germanic area restaurants. Or is it just "international", meaning same style as you can get on SB, SS or Regent ( or here in California, for that matter)?

From my cruise, I don't remember dishes of the type you describe appearing on the menus in the Weltmeere.

However, one can order off menu which, depending on the requested item(s), may necessitate 24 hours notice.

I don't know if you have seen it in your searches, but here is an article from 'Epicure & Culture'.

http://epicureandculture.com/hapag-lloyd-europa-2-food-drink/

I have looked at this and a lot of on-line reviews about the Europa2 restaurants as I am very interested in this ship, but have been unable to find a sample menu from Weltmeere, the main restaurant. I understand Weltmeere serves " international cuisine" including lobster, and shellfish, and you can get German sausages as comfort food for lunch on the ship. But I cannot tell if they also serve any upscale southern German or Swiss or Austrian food, such as duck or goose with red cabbage, dumplings and gravy, or tender pork or veal Schnitzels with special sauces and Spaetzle, or similar, like one can get in fine traditional Germanic area restaurants. Or is it just "international", meaning same style as you can get on SB, SS or Regent ( or here in California, for that matter)?

The food is very Germanic. The food you mention was in the Yacht Club almost every night. The restaurants had fancier dishes. In the Italian rest I had ravioli with duck gravy. There was lots of duck, rabbit, venison, goose, pork, lamb but little beef. Very high quality sea food, one night caviar night with all you wanted. Very high quality smoked and dried meat. Food was nothing like California or Regent. The ship is geared for German guests altho English speakers have no problem.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Well the Europa2 just got back to NYC after it's around SA trip. Tonight it will be heading back to Europa and will not see NA again for the foreseeable future.

Europa 2 Cruises EUX 1629 ( 17.09.2016-01.10.2016), and EUX 1630 (01.10.2016-15.10.2016) dock at New York, and concentrate on North American Ports Of Call.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a recent review on the Europa 2.

http://cruise-international.com/europa-ii-cruise-ship-review/

Thank you for posting this review.

On Friday Mrs machotspur and I made our first booking for this ship - Indonesia, Borneo, Philippines in Feb 2016.

My TA has also arranged a small group of us to tour the ship in Portsmouth in June, so if there is anything anyone wants to know please ask and I will try and get the answer.

Also a few weeks ago there were comments in this threat regarding the possibility of paying in Euros. Suffice to say this is definitely possible :D

It looks a very attractive itinerary.

Your tour of the Europa 2 in June will certainly whet your appetite for your cruise on what is, for me, a superb ship.

It is good to see that Hapag-Lloyd are offering a solution to the problem of the poor exchange rate used in calculating their non Euro fares.

I checked out the pictures, Sansabar looks great, less formal and more like a beach bar. I love the new look of the Sushi bar

Before it just looked like the Yacht Club, now it has a more formal look. I just checked out a trip on Europa2. It was the same cost per day as Silversea and Seabourn however I think the Europa2 blows them away.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Edited by hypercafe