Do you cruise with a Passport or with a certified birth certificate?

setsail1975

I was hoping that someone used a birth certificate recently had no issues with boarding.. I don't understand why threads have to turn into sarcasm ?

We have only used our birth certificates and never had any problems

Yes, they had a week but what if they hadn't. I've also known people who had emergencies back home and had to fly back. I'm just saying it's extremely risky not to have a passport with you when cruising. Not passing any judgement just be aware of the risk level. If you had a child or parent become gravely ill or die or if your house burned down (as happened to other people I know), what would be your plan?

My plan would likely be to finish the cruise since I have left people in charge of things whom I trust and can handle things until I returned, but it would depend on exactly how sick the child was (my parents are both deceased so that is not a concern for me and my children are now actually adults on their own). "Extremely" risky is an overstatement for the vast majority of cruisers when the risk is actually quite low for most. But if we did absolutely need to get home then we would enlist the aid of the Consulate who is empowered to waive the passport requirements for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons.

Just wondering for married women, how is an official birth certificate of any use with the different name? And what if she has not only married, but divorced and remarried.... now 2 names away from the birth certificate name? Would you have to carry all of the marraige certificates showing the name changing from one to the other to the other?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Just wondering for married women, how is an official birth certificate of any use with the different name? And what if she has not only married, but divorced and remarried.... now 2 names away from the birth certificate name? Would you have to carry all of the marraige certificates showing the name changing from one to the other to the other?

Anyone have any experience with this?

They only need to bring their birth certificate and gov't issued photo ID, but many will bring the bridging documents along also (we always brought our marriage license but were never asked to show it). Thing is all of those documents were submitted to have the name changed on the photo ID and all of that information is in databases that can be/are checked.

I was hoping that someone used a birth certificate recently had no issues with boarding.. I don't understand why threads have to turn into sarcasm ?

It's turning to sarcasm because you asked a question, have gotten very consistent answers, but all of your responses indicate that you don't seem to have wanted a real answer, but the one you wanted to hear.

OK, so the passports expired, and time is short -- but you can renew them and there is the possibility, given that it's a renewal, and not a new passport, that you could get them in time. Why not go for it, do the renewal, and hope you get them in time?

We are cruising for the first time with our high school and college age kids, and one boyfriend. We got passports for all of our girls, and told the BF that we would pay for the whole trip, but he needed to get a passport. It's just not worth it. You don't have to get off the ship to have a medical emergency -- anyone can trip and fall and need urgent care. You asked a valid question, and the answer is:

Yes, apparently you can board the ship with just the appropriate birth certificate -- but it's not advisable to travel with less than a passport.

Hope you have a great trip, whatever identification docs you end up taking

I have cruised seven times, never with a passport, always with my birth certificate. Every single travel companion I have ever sailed with has always used their birth certificate. You will have no issues getting on board with a state issued certificate. We just did it last month 😊. I don't know why people are so vehemently upset when people mention traveling without one when LEGALLY it is a valid form of id for closed loop Caribbean cruises. Sheesh. In the minute event you miss the ship in Nassau, it is probably the easiest place to gain an emergency passport. Read a story just recently of a guy that missed the ship and was back on board 24 hours later with his emergency passport. Obviously not an ideal situation (or cheap) but that would be the case passport or not. Rest easy and enjoy your cruise 😊.

It's turning to sarcasm because you asked a question, have gotten very consistent answers, but all of your responses indicate that you don't seem to have wanted a real answer, but the one you wanted to hear.

OK, so the passports expired, and time is short -- but you can renew them and there is the possibility, given that it's a renewal, and not a new passport, that you could get them in time. Why not go for it, do the renewal, and hope you get them in time?

We are cruising for the first time with our high school and college age kids, and one boyfriend. We got passports for all of our girls, and told the BF that we would pay for the whole trip, but he needed to get a passport. It's just not worth it. You don't have to get off the ship to have a medical emergency -- anyone can trip and fall and need urgent care. You asked a valid question, and the answer is:

Yes, apparently you can board the ship with just the appropriate birth certificate -- but it's not advisable to travel with less than a passport.

Hope you have a great trip, whatever identification docs you end up taking

Again at the beginning of my thread I was getting all passport responses and I was hoping to also hear from the people who may have used BC.. Since that was my concern. I was aware passports are obviously going to be the preferred method of citizenship and it is normally what we use.. My responses were in relation to the feedback people were bringing up that could possibly be an issue. Which again were valid and I did agree, but being 20 something days out and that including 2 holidays and weekends I was worried there wouldn't be enough time if I sent them out....Also children's passports are different then the adult renewal process.. It is a whole new passport vs. just a renewal. So yes time would be cutting close and I would of possibly paid extra money not necessary for expedition when apparently traveling with a BC is acceptable.

I apparently should have worded my title of my thread.. Do you or have you used a BC to cruise? I thank all the people who chimed in to reassure me that my children can cruise with their BC. That was the point of my thread. Thanks for the well wishes for a great trip .

Again at the beginning of my thread I was getting all passport responses and I was hoping to also hear from the people who may have used BC.. Since that was my concern. I was aware passports are obviously going to be the preferred method of citizenship and it is normally what we use.. My responses were in relation to the feedback people were bringing up that could possibly be an issue. Which again were valid and I did agree, but being 20 something days out and that including 2 holidays and weekends I was worried there wouldn't be enough time if I sent them out....Also children's passports are different then the adult renewal process.. It is a whole new passport vs. just a renewal. So yes time would be cutting close and I would of possibly paid extra money not necessary for expedition when apparently traveling with a BC is acceptable.

I apparently should have worded my title of my thread.. Do you or have you used a BC to cruise? I thank all the people who chimed in to reassure me that my children can cruise with their BC. That was the point of my thread. Thanks for the well wishes for a great trip .

Yes, on all of my previous cruises, I used a birth certificate. On the last one, it was after the requirements changed for air travel, and although allowed, I was seriously hassled by the cruise line agents at check in.

And given the nature of life not always going the way we hope it will, I won't travel outside the country again without a passport, whether allowed or not. I addressed your sarcasm question because you asked it. I wasn't trying to add additional sarcasm. I just had a similar response as others apparently did -- a sense of frustration.

Just another thought as far as passports go, children's passports are only valid for 5 years as opposed to adults 10 year validity. You may just want to wait until your children turn 16 to receive an adult passport for them. Will save the issue from recurring in the future.

Oh my gosh, I couldn't even continue reading past this post because no one would answer your question!

I have sailed three times with birth certificates only for kids. Once on NCL Dec 2013, and on Royal Caribbean for the past two summers. I will sail again in December on NCL with birth certificates for the 11 year olds and a passport for the 12 year old (she has a school trip to Mexico in April, so I went ahead and got her passport before the cruise since she'll need it anyway).

So, yes, it is fine! It might not hurt to take their expired passports with you anyway, just in case something happens, seems logical that it would make it easier. There was a review a while ago about a passenger on Royal Caribbean who missed the boat in the Bahamas and his passport was on the boat or he didn't have one or maybe it was expired, can't remember the details. It cost him a boatload of money and some time and stress, but he was able to get one and get out.

It's not like they are never going to let you leave a country, it will just be a lot of money and hassle.

This has probably been answered in the upcoming comments, but I couldn't stand to read any more non answers and judgmental comments to your simple question. Have a great trip!!!

Editing this to note that we drive to the cruise port, we haven't had to fly.

Edited by mickev99

It wasn't the price it was an oversight on my husband 's part he had them in the safe and just realized they expired 2 months ago as I asked that he'd take them out in preparation.....Now I'm worried about the time issue of being 27 days or so away to renew them. So I figured we'd just use their birth certificates this 1x.. I just wanted reassuring that it is still ok to use them.

You can always pay a little extra and get them back in 72 hours, you have plenty of time

Oh my gosh, I couldn't even continue reading past this post because no one would answer your question!

I have sailed three times with birth certificates only for kids. Once on NCL Dec 2013, and on Royal Caribbean for the past two summers. I will sail again in December on NCL with birth certificates for the 11 year olds and a passport for the 12 year old (she has a school trip to Mexico in April, so I went ahead and got her passport before the cruise since she'll need it anyway).

So, yes, it is fine! It might not hurt to take their expired passports with you anyway, just in case something happens, seems logical that it would make it easier. There was a review a while ago about a passenger on Royal Caribbean who missed the boat in the Bahamas and his passport was on the boat or he didn't have one or maybe it was expired, can't remember the details. It cost him a boatload of money and some time and stress, but he was able to get one and get out.

It's not like they are never going to let you leave a country, it will just be a lot of money and hassle.

This has probably been answered in the upcoming comments, but I couldn't stand to read any more non answers and judgmental comments to your simple question. Have a great trip!!!

Editing this to note that we drive to the cruise port, we haven't had to fly.

Thank you , exactly my thoughts I just needed clarification on the birth certificate usage..I wasn't trying to just hear what I wanted to hear..... Why my question would be so frustrating to some and telling me my thread was pointless? Anyhow thank you for understanding and thanks for your input and to the others who helped reassure me that , my children will not be denied boarding if I checked in NYC with their BC.

The reason why I ask, is that we always travel with our passports, but my 3 children's passports just expired 2 months ago. Mine and my husband's are valid still to travel. I did not renew them because we have a closed looped cruise from NYC on the BA 11/8. This cruise I figured I would just use the kids birth certificates to travel with and renew them later....Now as it gets closer I'm just fearful for some reason we will run into an issue with checking in.. I looked at NCL and I saw that it's still acceptable to use them. Just making sure!!! I know the whole issue if we got stranded in a port we would need them to fly home. We know better not to let that happen. Just curious who travels with which documents? Thanks

You would have a problem IF by chance you get diverted to CANADA .

You would have a problem IF by chance you get diverted to CANADA .

That would probably be less of a problem than if something happened to the OP in a port- since there are many people onboard without passports CBP would likely issue a letter that would allow the passengers to fly home without a passport (that is exactly what happened when the CCL ship let all passengers off in St Maarten).

We have passports but our kids do not. We have taken them over the years with no issue boarding. I think this was your question.

We have also taken our grandson on the NY/Fla. RT on the Gem without issue except the letter from his parents was required and asked for this trip.

Not sure if they will get them for next Oct. 2016 trip. Adults now so their choice.