Which do you prefer - Cruising or Crossing ?

Host Hattie

Pick a favourite  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a favourite

• Cruising
    • Crossing

Crossing, crossing, crossing...and you can see my user name. Love the sea days. Hate the limited time in ports. If I want to see an incredible city, I would choose land-based travel. I love ships for the time on the sea and for the transport that is an alternative to the cattle cars in the sky.

I like world cruises that have endless sea days - but with hot, steamy weather. Often I won't leave the ships for up to a couple of weeks, but I do like good weather so I can be out in deck alot.

Not really sure which category that puts me in.

Edited by cruiseluvva

Hello,we have only done port sensitive cruises so maybe I am not really qualified to reply.We have been looking at t/a and 14 nights Canada for a while now,but we are a little worried about 8 days or so without getting off.I have to add though we do like visiting ports.

Rodger.

I voted for crossing as that's mostly what I like to do on Cunard. I tend to prefer cruising but that's mostly on other lines, and a Cunard crossing usually fits perfectly into those plans.

Roy

This is such an unfair poll! However, although I love crossings, I do like long cruises with several good ports to stop at (preferably not over consecutive days).

So I voted for cruising. I love that I can wake up in a new place every day without the hassles associated with flying and driving.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote and comment - I use the app to keep an eye on the board when I'm at work so this is the first time I've seen the result !

I'm surprised how heavily crossings won - I knew we had a lot of crossings fans but I didn't realise how few cruising ones there were.

I love sea days as well but I generally prefer them a maximum of 2 at a time interspersed with amazing ports. Sailing into and out of New York is impressive but I'd argue that so is Venice, Lisbon, Santorini, Naples etc etc.

I enjoyed our crossing. it was a very relaxing way to sail home after a Caribbean cruise and a much better alternative to flying but it's still cruising for me.

Voted for crossing but prefer it be less than 7 days. Did the QE2 when it was 5 and don't mind 6.

Most of the times we have plans after crossings are finished.

I am with you. 5 days leaves a bit of time at the end if you are time constrained like most of us.:D

I am with you. 5 days leaves a bit of time at the end if you are time constrained like most of us.:D

Personally, I would go for 8 days if it is available (some are), but as I am a sort of semi-retired, self-employed consultant, I can continue gainful employment using my laptop anywhere with an Internet connection.

Definite vote for "crossing" from me.

We enjoy the discovery of new places and the return to others with cruising but our preference has to be the crossing sea days, love getting into a comfy routine, a bit like putting on well worn slippers, enjoying the Cunard activities and performances.

Although I don't mind the occasional cruise, I wouldn't want it to become a habit.:) In addition to crossings, we like liner voyages which, sadly, hardly exist at all other than Transatlantic. The closest thing to the traditional liner voyage otherwise is one-way or positioning cruises.

About 30 years ago on P&O's cruise ship (originally an ocean liner) Canberra a lovely lady said: "Ports of call are an unappreciated interruption to my shipboard experience." She acknowledged that cruising was the only way to experience that ship. We never had more than five ports of call on our three cruises of a fortnight each on the Canberra, and that was enough. It still gave us a liner experience.

I have certainly enjoyed the cruises we have taken, particularly to Alaska and Norway (two to each destination). But there is nothing like an ocean liner voyage.