Formal Attire for Women

resordanis

Hi All,

Have booked our first Cunard cruise on Queen Victoria. In our 21 night cruise we have 5 formal nights.

Now we love dressing up BUT having not cruised on Cunard before I do not have any gowns, just many cocktail dresses.

Would this be suitable or should I purchase formal long gowns?

DH has a Tux, so just worried about myself (of course!!!)

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Cocktail dresses will be fine but if you enjoy dressing up and would like an good excuse to go shopping then long would be perfect !

(I always wear long dresses on formal nights).

Have a great trip

Edited by Host Hattie

Hi All,

Have booked our first Cunard cruise on Queen Victoria. In our 21 night cruise we have 5 formal nights.

Now we love dressing up BUT having not cruised on Cunard before I do not have any gowns, just many cocktail dresses.

Would this be suitable or should I purchase formal long gowns?

DH has a Tux, so just worried about myself (of course!!!)

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Depends what you mean by gowns. Gowns are dresses but not all dresses are gowns. You'll find a good mix of formal wear from a few truly stunning gowns, to long dresses to cocktail wear.

I don't take gowns any more. I wear long dresses and ring the changes with cocktail trousers and beautiful jackets. Both outfits fit the occasion, as will a cocktail dress. Up to you to decide if some shopping is required.

You won't feel out-of-place (from my experience) in a cocktail dress on formal nights. There is a range of ladies formal wear you will see on the ship with cocktail dresses not only acceptable, but easier to pack for a three week voyage than something with more fabric involved.

Have a wonderful time!

Cocktail dresses for informal evenings?

Firstly I don't have any cocktail dresses and secondly they don't sound very informal. I was planning to wear trousers and a smart top or a skirt and nice t shirt the sort of thing I would wear to go out to dinner at home. Does that sound OK

Worth recalling the Cunard guidelines here:

Formal:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and army uniform.

Informal:

Evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.

By the way, count me in the group that has discovered the fun of putting on a long gown for dinner. I browse online outlet stores and have found some good buys there. And they pack small.

"Stylish separates" - hee hee. Sounds like my mother wrote that, and I'm in my sixties now.

Cocktail dresses for informal evenings?

Firstly I don't have any cocktail dresses and secondly they don't sound very informal. I was planning to wear trousers and a smart top or a skirt and nice t shirt the sort of thing I would wear to go out to dinner at home. Does that sound OK

Informal on Cunard isn't very informal. I sort of use the old 3-tier system. For formal I wear a long gown. For informal sea days, I wear a cocktail dress or LBD. For informal port days, I "dress down" a bit. I have a bunch of sheer floaty jackets. They weigh next to nothing and take up very little room. I wear those with black or white trousers and a black silk tank top.

On a long cruise, I will repeat outfits. :eek:

If you don't have cocktail dresses, invest in a simple LBD and some accessories.

I wear full length for the formal and cocktail for the semi formal, however other passengers do wear shorter lengths instead.

We are diamond members with Cunard and have seen the dress code change quite a lot over the last 10 years. There are no semi formal nights anymore. Formal and informal only. On informal evenings most men wear jackets no ties and the ladies smart dresses or pants. I think Cunard ships are the most dressy at sea especially on formal nights with 90% of men wearing a tux and women in floor length dresses or skirts. I have noticed that crossings are more formal than the cruises though.

Thank you all for your information. I will look for a long gown and see how I go. I will take my cocktail length dresses of course as they can also double for informal nights.

The dressing up part of a cruise is what we like, but I did not want to purchase a long gown if not necessary! Now the problem is to find something appropriate for my age!

Thanks again:D

You see lots of ladies in evening trousers or long skirts, with evening tops. It's also a way of making a different "look" very easily.

That was my line of thinking. It allows for more variety rather than wearing the same couple of evening dresses throughout the whole trip. Thanks. I assume mid-calf skirts are okay.

We're first-time QM2 passengers. My husband and I are both 40, and I'm dealing with a debilitating genetic disorder that will force me into a mobility scooter most of this upcoming round-tip crossing (Oct 11-28). Eighteen days, all total.

But before I fell ill, I worked a job that required me to attend a good number of formal events, so I'm mostly prepared.

My husband has two full tuxes; one modern Christian Dior and one Frock Morning Tux. He also has one nice dark dinner jacket, one sports jacket, and one really weird "old west" costume tux jacket we plan to wear on the masquerade night.

I have two full-length gowns. The first I bought expressly for the crossing because it matches the morning tux's style (and it's a titanic dress: http://www.natayadresses.com/en/nataya-best-sellers/289-nataya-40007-new-titanic-dress-in-black-coco-.html). The second is a dress I wore for an awards ceremony. I have a '50s retro formal dress that will go with my husband's "old west" " tux. I have two formal-ish cocktail dress for the other two formal nights (both worn to upscale shows I've attended), and for the Ascot Ball, I have a velvet smart dress and accompanying jacket -- and a matching fascinator (which, as an American, I've never worn before).

We're eclectic dressers who hate slovenly clothing on a good day, so we welcome the QM2'sdress code. On the flip side, my health is very delicate right now, so I'll be spending most of the time glued to a mobility scooter. Which will totally crimp my attempts at style, I'm afraid.

*** on Edit: One huge thing my husband and I DON'T abide is uncomfortable shoes. Ballerina flats for me; mod, heel-less "beatle boots" for him. ***

Edited by PatriciaMay

Their dresses are ALL gorgeous, and all are inspired by Titanic and Downton Abbey. They run out of stock quick, but the quality of the dress I bought is outstanding. Their Facebook page has loads of photos of celebs wearing their creations (they're based in LA). http://www.natayadresses.com

Lovely dress Patricia May. Keep well and enjoy your cruise.

Back to the OP. I always wear a long dress for a formal. I have a many different ones as we do long cruises.

On a non-formal night, I wear a nice dress maybe a cocktail type dress. Or maybe black silk evening pants with a glitzy top. I never ever dress down or casual on an evening no matter what. I would never wear a T-shirt even if it was a designer brand. That would be my day wear.

I always have a wrap or a pashmina to match my outfits as it can be very cold in the dining room. I love my shoes so they come in all shades and styles and I accessorise everything with jewellery both the real think and a fun stuff. . You can never to be too overdressed on Cunard. IMO. ;) Dress to kill:D and have a wonderful fun time.

We're first-time QM2 passengers. My husband and I are both 40, and I'm dealing with a debilitating genetic disorder that will force me into a mobility scooter most of this upcoming round-tip crossing (Oct 11-28). Eighteen days, all total.

But before I fell ill, I worked a job that required me to attend a good number of formal events, so I'm mostly prepared.

My husband has two full tuxes; one modern Christian Dior and one Frock Morning Tux. He also has one nice dark dinner jacket, one sports jacket, and one really weird "old west" costume tux jacket we plan to wear on the masquerade night.

I have two full-length gowns. The first I bought expressly for the crossing because it matches the morning tux's style (and it's a titanic dress: http://www.natayadresses.com/en/nataya-best-sellers/289-nataya-40007-new-titanic-dress-in-black-coco-.html). The second is a dress I wore for an awards ceremony. I have a '50s retro formal dress that will go with my husband's "old west" " tux. I have two formal-ish cocktail dress for the other two formal nights (both worn to upscale shows I've attended), and for the Ascot Ball, I have a velvet smart dress and accompanying jacket -- and a matching fascinator (which, as an American, I've never worn before).

We're eclectic dressers who hate slovenly clothing on a good day, so we welcome the QM2'sdress code. On the flip side, my health is very delicate right now, so I'll be spending most of the time glued to a mobility scooter. Which will totally crimp my attempts at style, I'm afraid.

*** on Edit: One huge thing my husband and I DON'T abide is uncomfortable shoes. Ballerina flats for me; mod, heel-less "beatle boots" for him. ***

The Titanic dress is beautiful! All your outfits, and your husband's, sound very attractive. I only wish I were on your sailing to see you in person! Have a wonderful, wonderful voyage! You will like the Queen Mary 2. :)

Jimmybean