Venice

new2crooz

Trying to decide what to do when visit Venice on upcoming cruise as the ship departs in the afternoon. Does anyone know what the water taxi situation is to and from the port in terms of cost, queues, availability etc if doing your own thing?

Is it better to go on one of the organised excursions to reduce queuing? Has anyone done the Gondola ride excursion before? What is the step height for getting into and out of the gondola? Following an accident, my knees aren't that strong and I find it hard to step up high steps, but am keen to try the gondola ride. Description says one has to be agile, so this may not suit my poor knees :( Really depends on how high the step is and if there is likely to be a post or handle I can use to pull myself up (gravity will allow me to fall into the gondola... getting out is the problem:))

Thanks.

Is your cruise ship not offering a water bus shuttle service from the Cruise Terminal to St Marks?

You may find the following article of interest.

http://www.mediterranean-cruise-ports-easy.com/venice-water-bus.html

Many thanks for your reply. I haven't seen any mention of shuttle services at ports from Cunard. Are such shuttle services (boat/bus) available at all cruise ports with Cunard? Do they get crowded? If shuttle readily available, I won't worry so much about excursions as I like to do my own thing rather than traipsing around following a crowd. What's the pick up situation for the shuttle on the way back to the ship (last thing I want to do is miss the boat!) Thanks again.

Venice is possibly my favorite city anywhere. I've never taken a gondola ride, so I can't help you there. But I'll offer this advice - see San Marco if you really need to, but spend part of your time just wandering the streets. You'll be away from the crowds and get a taste of what makes Venice so magical. Stop for an ice cream or coffee, or a spritz if it's afternoon. And don't worry if you get lost - it's a small place and you'll soon get your bearings again. There are helpful signs along the way pointing you back to the main tourist spots.

Venice may be hard on your legs and knees because of the many bridges. But if you can manage a little time away from the main sights I know you won't be disappointed.

I've seen many posts from people who thought Venice was a dud. I'm pretty sure most of them thought so because they went on organized tours of the top tourist spots and never got time to see or feel what makes Venice unique. I hope you get to experience a little of that.

Trying to decide what to do when visit Venice on upcoming cruise as the ship departs in the afternoon. Does anyone know what the water taxi situation is to and from the port in terms of cost, queues, availability etc if doing your own thing?

Is it better to go on one of the organised excursions to reduce queuing? Has anyone done the Gondola ride excursion before? What is the step height for getting into and out of the gondola? Following an accident, my knees aren't that strong and I find it hard to step up high steps, but am keen to try the gondola ride. Description says one has to be agile, so this may not suit my poor knees :( Really depends on how high the step is and if there is likely to be a post or handle I can use to pull myself up (gravity will allow me to fall into the gondola... getting out is the problem:))

Thanks.

Try this...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/04/22/one-way-to-do-venice/

The start will give you some info on getting to St Marks by water.

Head away from ST marks for your Gondola ride and be prepared to negotiate...

21263812426_8afa6fde00_z.jpg

To pre book there is a good website that will even charge in pounds sterling...

21103672380_3c80987d70_z.jpg

As can be seen the 'Classic' ride comes out at £22.00 per person. That is for a 30 minute ride and you can expect to share the gondola with up to 6 passengers.

Alternatively, for a mere £49.00 per person the same gondola ride can guarantee just you and your wife or partner with an additional glass of Prosecco.

21103186509_df44aaee15_z.jpg

...and finally, enjoy...

Edited by Solent Richard

Many thanks for your reply. I haven't seen any mention of shuttle services at ports from Cunard. Are such shuttle services (boat/bus) available at all cruise ports with Cunard? Do they get crowded? If shuttle readily available, I won't worry so much about excursions as I like to do my own thing rather than traipsing around following a crowd. What's the pick up situation for the shuttle on the way back to the ship (last thing I want to do is miss the boat!) Thanks again.

Provision of a Shuttle service is dependent on the port in question, so in the case of Venice I suggest Cunard be asked what provision, if any, they intend to make from the Cruise Terminal.

Alternatively, why not take the Water Bus No. 1 that travels along the Grand Canal.

https://quickvenice.com/transportation/actv-linea-1-vaporetto.htm

You are then at liberty to get off where you wish, and walk around what is my favourite city.

The walk from the cruise terminal to St Marks Square is excellent with many bars, cafes and shops to peruse on the way. If you decide to walk, on leaving the terminal there are 2 routes to St Marks. The most popular, longest and busiest route, as you pass the station, the majority take the most signposted route, but instead of walking across the bridge, there is another sign post indication a right turn and walking for a short distance alongside the water before crossing. I am sorry not to be more accurate, but I cannot remember the name of the bridges.

There is a people-mover connecting the cruise port to the bus terminal (Piazzale Roma); I don't remember the cost but it's cheap, and quick. From there you can get water buses to the rest of the city. Read up in advance on how to ride the vaporetto; it's easy once you understand the signage, however. Invest in a day ticket if you think you want to be on and off (which you probably will, if you like exploring on your own).

As someone else said, the #1 vaporetto ride is enormously fun. If you like photography there are some amazing shots along the way.

I was on the Queen Victoria September 19 - October 4, 2015, visiting Venice on September 25 and 26.

The ship's tours in Venice left the ship directly by launch alongside the ship.

The dedicated launch service for those not on tours was a 900 meters walk from the ship, with complimentary shuttle bus service to the launch for "those guests with walking disabilities." The launch landing in Venice was at Monumento Pier, two bridges away from St. Mark's Square. The piers for the launches at both sites were on floating pontoons. "Guests will need to be able to walk onto the pontoon and step into the launch and down several steps unassisted." The launches ran on a schedule and everyone was seated. The launches probably held about 75 people.

The cost was $35.00 per person for an unlimited pass, $24.00 for a round trip ticket, and $13.00 for a one way trip. Tickets were purchased at the Pursers Office.

I was on the Queen Victoria September 19 - October 4, 2015, visiting Venice on September 25 and 26.

The ship's tours in Venice left the ship directly by launch alongside the ship.

The dedicated launch service for those not on tours was a 900 meters walk from the ship, with complimentary shuttle bus service to the launch for "those guests with walking disabilities." The launch landing in Venice was at Monumento Pier, two bridges away from St. Mark's Square. The piers for the launches at both sites were on floating pontoons. "Guests will need to be able to walk onto the pontoon and step into the launch and down several steps unassisted." The launches ran on a schedule and everyone was seated. The launches probably held about 75 people.

The cost was $35.00 per person for an unlimited pass, $24.00 for a round trip ticket, and $13.00 for a one way trip. Tickets were purchased at the Pursers Office.

Thank you very much. This is very helpful information.

That Cunard shuttle service to San Marco is a terrific option. While I personally wouldn't recommend a tour of the buildings if your time is short or the crowds are large, the piazza in front is a must-see. And you are perfectly positioned for wandering farther afield.

Thanks so much for your replies. I feel encouraged to ditch the organised excursion and do my own thing, particularly just wondering around and getting "lost".

Ah, getting lost?

Not so easy, even on my alternative route "Off the beaten track'...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/04/24/venice-off-the-beaten-track/

Two musts to see...

Campo di Ghetto Nouvo

17060781556_a55fb1d4e1_z.jpg

and Scala Contarini del Bovolo

16879350877_f0a9e116d2_z.jpg

Enjoy Venice.

You can take the people mover from the cruise terminal and then catch line 1 down the Grand Canal to St. Marks Square. Take about 90 minutes. It is a long trip on the water. You can buy your ticket either onboard or at the office.

A quicker voyage would be to take the Alilaguna boat which goes to the airport and this drops you off about 300m from the square. We took it earlier this year going to the terminal. About 20 minutes.

These are options with different lines which have different tickets. Crafty!

I too have heard tourist saying how disappointed they are in Venice but they seemed to be on organised tours and they were there with all the other tourists who flood the city between 09.00 and 18.00. I used to be out walking by 06.00 and it is a magical place. Just me and the sweeper uppers and the latest cruise ship gliding in! Ooh. Miss it!