Savoury bites

Merly

One of the things I look forward to in cruising RCCI is the savoury bites they serve at dinner. These are the small triangular seeded rolls. I love them, sad I know. Does any one have the recipe please? I would like to make them for a dinner I am having.

Many thanks

One of the things I look forward to in cruising RCCI is the savoury bites they serve at dinner. These are the small triangular seeded rolls. I love them, sad I know. Does any one have the recipe please? I would like to make them for a dinner I am having.

Many thanks

They are the best part of dinner. Love them.

Savory bites? Are those the ones that look like over sized doggie treats? Tried them a few times and they are like rocks. Maybe I just had bad timing. :o

I'll take the pumpkin seed rolls.

Now that you mention it, they do look like doggie treats. :)

This is from a RCCL site. You might be able to figure what you need from their recipe. Good luck. They are the pieces I also go for.

Savory Bites Recipe

Servings: 1157 pieces (!)

•25 pounds Potato Bread Flour.

•2 ½ pounds Savory base.

•2 pounds Margarine.

•5 ounces Dry Yeast

•7 ½ liters Water.

1.Mix all ingredients for 2 to 3 min slow and 5 to 6 min fast speed until well developed.

2.Rest the dough for 30 min.

3.Scale into 16 oz. pieces and pre shape.

4.Roll them sheet pan long and dip in Poppy seed, than put 9 pieces on one sheet pan.

5.Store in freezer overnight.

6.When ready to bake defrost about 3 hours in the fridge, cut them into small triangles (25 pieces per pound stick).

7.Place 9 x 6 on one sheet pan.

8.Bake them between 220 °C and 230 °C and steam for about 13 to 17 min until golden brown.

Many thanks

Here's the easiest recipe I know:

Ingredients

1 travel agent + 1 telephone

OR

1 computing device + 1 web browser

1 credit card

2 available nights, minimum

1 brown bag (optional)

Procedure

1. Using telephone, call your preferred travel agent.

2. If preferred travel agent is not available, combine computing device with website address "rccl.com"

3. Set aside at least 2 nights that have no conflicting appointments, for use later in recipe

4. Gradually mix in 1 credit card, by applying approximately $250 deposit to travel agent or website (deposit may vary depending on nights set aside)

5. Let deposit rest until final payment is due

6. Make final payment to travel agent or website

7. In approximately 45 days, your available nights will be ready for use. Get on ship and proceed to MDR

8. Request Savory Bites.

9. Optional - Request several extra and place in brown bag for use later.

I wonder what this is?:confused:

Savory Base is likely a yeast extract (e.g. marmite/vegemite) or hydrolyzed plant protein/hydrolyzed vegetable protein (e.g. soy sauce), which are both very high in glutamates (which give food a savory "umami" flavor). Unfortunately marmite/vegemite and soy sauce also have a ton of salt, which the industrial savory base doesn't, so you'd have to adjust accordingly. You could probably use other high-glutemate foods like sun-dried tomatoes, dried mushrooms, parmesan cheese, anchovy paste, fish sauce, bullion cubes, "Better than Bullion", etc, but they'd also add other flavors you wouldn't find in Savory Bites on the ship.

Edited by ahecht

Savory bites? Are those the ones that look like over sized doggie treats? Tried them a few times and they are like rocks. Maybe I just had bad timing. :o

Bwahahahaha!!! That's the best description that I've heard for the Savory Bites yet! Yep, pretty close to doggie treats, but I love them. I dip them in my hot soup to make them a bit more edible. Thanks for the laugh :D

Just you mentioning them puts me in a place to want to book another cruise. A few years ago on the Explorer in the Cafe Promenade they had these fudge and chocolate concoctions rolled into a small ball that were outstanding. Never saw them again, and I look for them on ever cruise. Anyone else remember these.

Savory Base is likely a yeast extract (e.g. marmite/vegemite) or hydrolyzed plant protein/hydrolyzed vegetable protein (e.g. soy sauce), which are both very high in glutamates (which give food a savory "umami" flavor). Unfortunately marmite/vegemite and soy sauce also have a ton of salt, which the industrial savory base doesn't, so you'd have to adjust accordingly. You could probably use other high-glutemate foods like sun-dried tomatoes, dried mushrooms, parmesan cheese, anchovy paste, fish sauce, bullion cubes, "Better than Bullion", etc, but they'd also add other flavors you wouldn't find in Savory Bites on the ship.

Very interesting, thanks!

Those things came so highly recommended so I tried them on 3 different ships and they could be used to hammer nails into concrete. I wanted to like them but was afraid of losing a crown. Now as to the poster who mentioned the rolls w the pumpkin seeds (or was it sunflower seeds?).... Just put a bunch of them into a basket and strap that puppy on my face like a feed bag and I'll be happy (not an attractive image, however).

Sadly, sometimes they are like rocks. I think sometimes they are made too small. I love them, but they are best when they are about the size of a golf ball or just slightly larger. OP, sorry no recipe here, but maybe someone out there has it!:)

OK here is the recipe. You might want to cut the recipe in half and only make FIVE HUNDRED of them:

Savory Bites Recipe

Servings: 1157 pieces (!)

25 pounds Potato Bread Flour.

2 ½ pounds Savory base.

2 pounds Margarine.

5 ounces Dry Yeast

7 ½ liters Water.

Mix all ingredients for 2 to 3 min slow and 5 to 6 min fast speed until well developed.

Rest the dough for 30 min.

Scale into 16 oz. pieces and pre shape.

Roll them sheet pan long and dip in Poppy seed, than put 9 pieces on one sheet pan.

Store in freezer overnight.

When ready to bake defrost about 3 hours in the fridge, cut them into small triangles (25 pieces per pound stick).

Place 9 x 6 on one sheet pan.

Bake them between 220 °C and 230 °C and steam for about 13 to 17 min until golden brown.

Savory base is on Amazon (the entire WORLD is available on amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Culinary-Savory-Roasted-Chicken/dp/B00HXL2XAO

Edited by bighairtexan

Savory base is on Amazon (the entire WORLD is available on amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Culinary-Savory-Roasted-Chicken/dp/B00HXL2XAO

That's not the same savory base used in the recipe. That is a chicken soup base (similar to the Better than Bullion soup base you can get for $3 at the supermarket), and will make your bread taste like chicken broth.

As I said before, the closest thing you can get in small quantities is marmite/vegemite.

If you only want 30 bites, use:

10 oz potato bread flour

1 oz savory base

1 1/2 Tbs Margarine

1 Tbs yeast

3/4 cup water

Edited by ahecht

I'll also add that "potato bread flour" is probably a mix of 3-6% potato flour and 94-97% wheat flour by weight, which is the range of ratios used in potato bread recipes.

Edited by ahecht