Car Rental Near Port Everglades?

born2crooz

Personally I wouldn't (and don't) look past Budget.

Join the Budget "Fastbreak" club and you walk right past the sometimes very long line at the airport to get a car right on out to the garage to pick yours up.

Very easy

Drop that car at the 17th St office (maybe after stopping for supplies at a nearby grocery or liquor store) and they'll shuttle you to the pier.

I found Thrifty -- was looking for something easy since we have a person in a wheelchair-- didnt want all the ons and offs for the shuttles.

Thrifty did give me a number to call when I need a shuttle. I need a lift.

here is the stuff I posted. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=260799

Fort Lauderdale airport and Port Everglades are adjacent to each other, and all the car rental agencies now operate from a new shared car rental center across the street from terminal one at the airport. My advice as a South Floridian is to rent a car at the airport and return it to the airport. Then catch a cab to your ship. The taxi fare is only about $5. Some of the car rental agencies may also shuttle you from airport to pier for free.

Is there an entrance/exit/drop-off fee at the port? I thought I read somewhere that it cost $3-$5 to enter or leave the port area. The reason I'm asking is we are doing what the poster above recommended: renting at the airport location, returning it there, and then taxing a taxi to the port. My questions is would it be easier or more expensive to drive to the port, unload take all the luggage and have my compainion wait with the luggage while I drive the rental car back to the airport location and just take a taxi myself back to the port, or would I bypass some of the fees if we just went directly to the rental car return, and then both of us (and all our luggage) taxied to the port?

There is NO charge whatsoever to enter or exit Port Everglades... There is however a security checkpoint where they ask you where you're going, look at your photo id, etc., but there is not now, nor has there ever been a charge to enter or exit.

You can certainly enter the port, drop your luggage off with the porter, then exit and return your car to the airport and take a taxi back. That would be very easy, keep in mind however that there is sometimes a rather long backup at some of the security checkpoints. The SE 17th Street entrance to the port is usually by far the easiest/quickest to get through.

• 5 years later...
Fort Lauderdale airport and Port Everglades are adjacent to each other, and all the car rental agencies now operate from a new shared car rental center across the street from terminal one at the airport. My advice as a South Floridian is to rent a car at the airport and return it to the airport. Then catch a cab to your ship. The taxi fare is only about $5. Some of the car rental agencies may also shuttle you from airport to pier for free.

Car renters can save the cab fare from the airport by making sure that your drop-off location on your rental is the cruise port -NOT THE AIRPORT.

So for example, If you pickup with Budget at FLL (the airport) and you will ultimately be going directly to the port for a cruise at the end of your rental period, make your drop off location on your reservation Quay Center F07 (1515 Southwest 17th St., Phone: 954-761-7231). Be mindful that the Quay Center drop-off operates from about 8 AM to 4 PM, while the airport pickup/drop-off is 24X7.

Car renters can save the cab fare from the airport by making sure that your drop-off location on your rental is the cruise port -NOT THE AIRPORT.

So for example, If you pickup with Budget at FLL (the airport) and you will ultimately be going directly to the port for a cruise at the end of your rental period, make your drop off location on your reservation Quay Center F07 (1515 Southwest 17th St., Phone: 954-761-7231). Be mindful that the Quay Center drop-off operates from about 8 AM to 4 PM, while the airport pickup/drop-off is 24X7.

Alamo and National have a free shuttle from the airport, and Dollar/Thrifty have a shuttle from their Miami Rd location right outside the port entrance on State Rd 84 as well. I got a chuckle out of your first post being a reply to a 6 year old one though LOL. Welcome to CC.

• 4 months later...

We are dropping a car at Port Everglades location and then picking up after cruise. No drop charges. Have done this with the Budget Port Everglade location also. Budget is much further away than Thrifty, and also never seems to have the car you request.

We are dropping a car at Port Everglades location and then picking up after cruise. No drop charges. Have done this with the Budget Port Everglade location also. Budget is much further away than Thrifty, and also never seems to have the car you request.

Budget at the Quay Plaza is actually slightly closer to the midport terminals than Thrifty at Miami Rd (and very close to the Princess terminal 2). From the intersection at Eisenhower and SE 24th St, Budget is about a half mile north and Thrifty is about 3/4 mile west.

Archived