duty free shopping in Villa

TSJE4

Hello there. Reading the threads i get the impression that the best place to do duty free shopping in Villa is a place called Feng Kiu ? Can any of you tell me, is it easy to find ? Are there any others that you guys could recommend . Thanks for any advice . ( Yep reading this forum gets you so much more excited about the holiday that lies adhead)

Sandi

Hello there. Reading the threads i get the impression that the best place to do duty free shopping in Villa is a place called Feng Kiu ? Can any of you tell me, is it easy to find ? Are there any others that you guys could recommend . Thanks for any advice . ( Yep reading this forum gets you so much more excited about the holiday that lies adhead)

Sandi

Hi Sandi,

Along the main street, there are quite a few duty free shops within walking distance to each other.

Fung Kuei's has a reputation of being the cheapest for alcohol & ciggies, but some of the others may have a bigger range of perfumes and electronics.

Fung Kuei's is easy to find (at the far end of the street). All of the local cabbies will know, and many of the organised shore tours will pull up at the park behind the street for a shopping break too - the guide will point the way if you are not sure.

Fung Kuei's has a reputation of being the cheapest for alcohol & ciggies, but some of the others may have a bigger range of perfumes and electronics.

Hi Sandi

Following up on Geoff's comments, we noticed last week that some of the other duty free shops were only fractionally more expensive that Fung Kuei. On some items the difference was one dollar per bottle. They are still the first choice for liquor and all the smokers I spoke to said that Fung Kuei was the best value.

I guess the point I am making here is that Fung Kuei is the recommended first stop but if they are out of stock of your preferred item then you aren't going to pay too much more at some of the other stores.

As Geoff said, others may have a better range of perfumes and electronics.

Hi Sandi

Following up on Geoff's comments, we noticed last week that some of the other duty free shops were only fractionally more expensive that Fung Kuei. On some items the difference was one dollar per bottle. They are still the first choice for liquor and all the smokers I spoke to said that Fung Kuei was the best value.

I guess the point I am making here is that Fung Kuei is the recommended first stop but if they are out of stock of your preferred item then you aren't going to pay too much more at some of the other stores.

As Geoff said, others may have a better range of perfumes and electronics.

Agreed. Fung Kuei is the last shop on the left (the water side). Alcohol is great, but they had a very limited range of perfume. They had some watches and other gear. Jewellery rather limited. For these go to either Downtown Duty Free or Paris Duty Free. :)

Yes, absolutely the best place for alcohol and cigarettes. I saw some bottles I've never seen in bottle shops even. The best thing is they are very organised, and if you get your shopping done by 1.30 I think it is, they package it up with your cabin number, and it gets delivered to the ship. It's done up in carry bags of 2, with foam around one bottle, very convenient for taking home. :) The next time you see it is on the last night :( outside the cabin when you pack.

Cheers, The Devils.

• 8 months later...
Hi Sandi,

Fung Kuie Is A Great Duty Free Shop, I Received An Email From Them Saying They Now Have A Large Stock Of Wallets And Handbags In At Great Prices So Take A Look.

Happy Cruising

June

hi is there a web page to have a look at for the fung kuie shop cos i cant find it anywhere. thanks heaps if you no it. michelle

Hi Michelle,

I don't have a web address for Fung Kuei, but I do have an email address. fungkuei@vanuatu.com.vu

We have found their prices excellent on alcohol and cigs, OK on watches. Good jewellery isn't very good at Fung Kuei and don't bother looking at their perfume. Either buy at one of the other duty free shops in Port Vila, or on the ship. :):)

Eovn.

While we're at Fung Kuei's, can anyone tell me if liqour and cig prices are a whole lot better than the ship prices. Seems like lots of passengers hunters head up there when the ship docks in Vila.

I read somewhere that it was the last shop on the right in the main street, but I don't know which end of the street. I guess a cabbie would know the place. Does the shop have it's name outside?

Thanks,

Anna

Just ask the cabbie to take you to Fung Kuei. As you come from the ship, it is at the far end of the street on the left. It is a pale yellow two storey building. As someone else has said, don't try to walk from the ship. It would take about an hour, and the footpaths are non-existent when you are away from the main street. Depending on when you go the weather will be hot and humid or very hot and very humid.

The alcohol & cigarette prices are a lot cheaper than on the ship and the range available is incredible. :):)

Evon.

The best shop for alcohol was one that was simply a bottle shop... It's on the street with the rest of the duty free shops, on a corner. We went there after buying ours elsewhere and were suprised that yes, it did get even cheaper.

Don't buy anything the first place you see it, wait and go back later!

The best shop for alcohol was one that was simply a bottle shop... It's on the street with the rest of the duty free shops, on a corner. We went there after buying ours elsewhere and were suprised that yes, it did get even cheaper.

Don't buy anything the first place you see it, wait and go back later!

I think I know the shop you mean. Is it on the right-hand side as you come from the ship? When we checked it out the prices weren't great. There is another duty free shop (not Down Town, but close to it) where we noticed that one or two brands of alcohol our group was interested in were a dollar or so cheaper than at Fung Kuei. Overall though, Fung Kuei was better when we checked them out in March and again in May last year. :):)

Evon.

I found that Downtown Duty Free was cheaper than Fung Kwei for grog. They had lots of perfume, jewellery and things like ipods and soundocks, genuine brands and not rip offs. They're right in the centre of town on the main street just behind the local clothing markets. Best of all, they have cold driniking water available at the door which I found the most rewarding!:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So ive read in a couple of places that Fung Kuei actually stock REAL handbags etc....can anyone vouch for this? or at least for the quality of the stuff out of there

-no wallet falling apart while still on the ship

-and how about electronics? its not cheap coz it only lasts a week is it?

cheers, 26 days til my first cruise! cant wait!!

So ive read in a couple of places that Fung Kuei actually stock REAL handbags etc....can anyone vouch for this? or at least for the quality of the stuff out of there

-no wallet falling apart while still on the ship

-and how about electronics? its not cheap coz it only lasts a week is it?

cheers, 26 days til my first cruise! cant wait!!

We've bought a leather handbag at Fung Kuei and they cheerfully told us it was fake. The leather is superb and the quality is good.

I don't think electronics are any cheaper in these ports than at home. If you buy in Australia you can be sure it is genuine and that the guarantee is worth more than just the paper it is written on. You can also get a refund of the GST if you buy more than $300 within 30 days of departure. This is called the Traveller Refund Scheme. You apply for this refund at the cruise terminal after you go through immigration and before you board the ship. There will be a 'TRS' sign. You must have the goods to show them, a tax invoice totalling $300 or more (can be for more than one item) and your credit card details for the refund. It is just so easy.

I'm pretty confident that alcohol will be cheaper at Fung Kuei than on the ship, but if it isn't, you can buy on the ship after you leave Vila, provided they have stock. Unfortunately the ship doesn't have a great range of alcohol, and they usually run out of some lines in the first couple of days.

we were in Vila a few weeks ago and i noticed with the Winfield smokes they were $27 per carton of 250 at Fung Keiu but the other duty free shop on the same side about half way down had them for the same price (not sure about alcohol prices as i didnt bother buying any)

rkmw

Give you another idea of prices -

1L of Absolut - $15.

1L of Midori - $25 (I think).

So much better than here. And I think they were cheaper than on the boat. We didnt look at much else, but they really were good prices. Not entirely sure which shop it was...it was in the middle of the main street somewhere I think. Our cabbie took us.

Archived