Follow our South American Travels on Black Watch

tartanexile81

We'll be leaving Scotland in just over a week's time and setting sail on the Black Watch. We start by heading South to Madeira, Tenerife and Cape Verde before crossing the Atlantic and visiting ports in Brazil (not the Amazon) Uruguay, Argentina. Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Panama and then into the Caribbean for some island-hopping before heading back across the Atlantic.

I would LOVE to do a 'live from.....' for Cruisecritic but I know I haven't got the staying power so if anybody would like to follow my travels on Twitter you'll find me on

@arrbee54.

I will tweet once a day with a sentence or two and a photo, all starting on 4th January. I'm getting very excited now although anxious too as we'll be away for 10 weeks and we've never been on Fred Olsen before nor have we ever been away for more than 35 days.

We'll be leaving Scotland in just over a week's time and setting sail on the Black Watch. We start by heading South to Madeira, Tenerife and Cape Verde before crossing the Atlantic and visiting ports in Brazil (not the Amazon) Uruguay, Argentina. Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Panama and then into the Caribbean for some island-hopping before heading back across the Atlantic.

I would LOVE to do a 'live from.....' for Cruisecritic but I know I haven't got the staying power so if anybody would like to follow my travels on Twitter you'll find me on

@arrbee54.

I will tweet once a day with a sentence or two and a photo, all starting on 4th January. I'm getting very excited now although anxious too as we'll be away for 10 weeks and we've never been on Fred Olsen before nor have we ever been away for more than 35 days.

That sounds good, but do be aware that the on-board wi-fi is, at times, pretty dismal and expensive - you are paying when you connect to the system regardless of the speeds obtained. Many people wait till ashore where you can normally find reasonable connection free or for a small fee. I've no idea how the wifi provided by Fred compares with that on other cruise ships, however.

wft

That sounds good, but do be aware that the on-board wi-fi is, at times, pretty dismal and expensive - you are paying when you connect to the system regardless of the speeds obtained. Many people wait till ashore where you can normally find reasonable connection free or for a small fee. I've no idea how the wifi provided by Fred compares with that on other cruise ships, however.

wft

I know what you mean. Past experience has shown that wifi connections aboard cruise ships can be frustrating so I usually compose off-line then just log on to download / upload. I've found last thing at night is a good time to get online but will check this out on Black watch. I'll be taking my ipad anyway and we'll be buying an internet package as we need to keep in touch with our house-sitters who're looking after our pets

Like you, I'll be using wifi in the port terminals but not sure what it will be like in South America especially in Southern Argentina and Chile so thought tweeting would be a good way to keep everyone at home up to date with our travels.

See you in a week!!

Hi tartanexile81

Looking forward to hearing all about your trip. I have been on Black Watch and have been to South America but not to the places you are going so will be interested to hear all about it.

Have a wonderful cruise...:)

Thanks Tiggertom. Really looking forward to setting off now.

Did we meet you on a visit to a HAL ship in South Queensferry last year?? Your name sounds familiar.

Thanks Tiggertom. Really looking forward to setting off now.

Did we meet you on a visit to a HAL ship in South Queensferry last year?? Your name sounds familiar.

Yes, the Rotterdam...! Small world. Haven't cruised on HAL yet but it was a nice ship.

Happy cruising :D