Poor Experience through Celebrity's Formalwear Rental Vendor

stones902

I recently contacted Celebrity's formalwear vendor to rent tuxedo shoes for an upcoming cruise (I rent the shoes on board to save space and weight). The vendor name is Cruiseline Formalwear, Inc. apparently they provide formalwear rentals to several other cruise lines as well. I completed the on line form and rented the shoes for $15. I also provided my CC number and cruise info. They are to be waiting in my cabin when we board in about a week.

When I received my emailed receipt a couple of days later, in addition to the $15, I was charged an extra $6 as a "Minor Damage Fee" (their terminology). I suppose it is supposed to be some sort of insurance because I haven't even worn the shoes yet. Perplexed, I contacted this company via the 800 number provided on the receipt to discuss the extra charge. I was told by their representative that the fee is automatically tacked on for everyone and cannot be removed. She claimed they charge the fee because "we don't charge taxes". I told her that I don't see what a damage fee has to do with taxes and it seems like I am getting nickeled and dimed.

According to the receipt I was emailed, there is a $20 charge to cancel a sale once it has been completed. So if the total charge for the rental is $21 and it will cost $20 to cancel I'll just go through with the order. Still, I feel a bit used. Don't get me wrong, in the big scheme of things $6 isn't going to make a difference one way or another but I wanted to post this so anyone else renting formalwear would know what charges to expect going forward.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I recently contacted Celebrity's formalwear vendor to rent tuxedo shoes for an upcoming cruise (I rent the shoes on board to save space and weight). The vendor name is Cruiseline Formalwear, Inc. apparently they provide formalwear rentals to several other cruise lines as well. I completed the on line form and rented the shoes for $15. I also provided my CC number and cruise info. They are to be waiting in my cabin when we board in about a week.

When I received my emailed receipt a couple of days later, in addition to the $15, I was charged an extra $6 as a "Minor Damage Fee" (their terminology). I suppose it is supposed to be some sort of insurance because I haven't even worn the shoes yet. Perplexed, I contacted this company via the 800 number provided on the receipt to discuss the extra charge. I was told by their representative that the fee is automatically tacked on for everyone and cannot be removed. She claimed they charge the fee because "we don't charge taxes". I told her that I don't see what a damage fee has to do with taxes and it seems like I am getting nickeled and dimed.

According to the receipt I was emailed, there is a $20 charge to cancel a sale once it has been completed. So if the total charge for the rental is $21 and it will cost $20 to cancel I'll just go through with the order. Still, I feel a bit used. Don't get me wrong, in the big scheme of things $6 isn't going to make a difference one way or another but I wanted to post this so anyone else renting formalwear would know what charges to expect going forward.

I just booked an entire tux (with shoes) through the same place... there was no $6 charge.

Maybe it has to do with the size of the order ?? (just guessing)

I just booked an entire tux (with shoes) through the same place... there was no $6 charge.

Maybe it has to do with the size of the order ?? (just guessing)

The young lady that I spoke with (Customer Service) indicated the $6 was charged to everyone. Perhaps only on shoe rentals? At any rate, I'm glad you weren't charged.

On the one hand the Damage fee sounds ridiculous. The whole concept of a rental presumes normal wear and tear and normal ordinary damages would be included in the rental price. Clearly the $6 add on is just a way of increasing prices since this wasn't charged in the past.

On the other hand I just went through their online order form out of curiosity and the total price seen before check-out clearly showed the total price including the $6 fee and had small print explaining the fee.

I don't know if you just didn't see this, in which case you should have (not blaming you as I make similar mistakes on online ordering from time to time) or they have added it since you placed your recent order.

In any event if they are disclosing it before checkout then it is their right to do so regardless of whether we like it or not.

Edited by Lsimon

On my last cruise with Celebrity a few weeks ago so few people dressed up for formal night it hardly seems worth the effort.I now feel more comfortable in a smart jacket and designer jeans and more in keeping with every-one else.

On the one hand the Damage fee sounds ridiculous. The whole concept of a rental presumes normal wear and tear and normal ordinary damages would be included in the rental price. Clearly the $6 add on is just a way of increasing prices since this wasn't charged in the past.

On the other hand I just went through their online order form out of curiosity and the total price seen before check-out clearly showed the total price including the $6 fee and had small print explaining the fee.

I don't know if you just didn't see this, in which case you should have (not blaming you as I make similar mistakes on online ordering from time to time) or they have added it since you placed your recent order.

In any event if they are disclosing it before checkout then it is their right to do so regardless of whether we like it or not.

I'll admit that it is quite possible, if not likely, that I missed mention of the charge. Nonetheless, it still leaves a bad taste being charged for minimum wear when it should be included in the rental. I've rented tux shoes before (on RCI) and never had an upcharge. Also, there was no option to waive the insurance if you wished.

Like I mentioned earlier - not a biggie in the context of the costs associated with cruising. I did want to mention as it could effect others renting like me. Frankly, I'll rent the shoes at $15 for the week but wouldn't had I known it would be $21.

When I rented a tux from them on our first cruise (and will again for the one upcoming), the six dollars covered minimum damage to the whole outfit, not just the shoes. As I ordered over the phone, it was explained that it covered (for example) wine spilled on a shirt or a minor rip or something similar. To me it was both non-negotiable AND cheap insurance.

Cheers!

$6 in damage fees is kinda steep for a pair of shoes for sure!. After 10 rentals, they shoes are paid for with the fee alone!

So instead of perseverating on the $6 damage fee, consider it instead a "delivery fee" and be glad the $6 saved you a $25 luggage charge :-)

I'm really sorry, but I can't resist, this is what you get for renting a tux on vacation..............:D:):)

Didn't rent the tux only the shoes. I have my own tux that I bring each time that I wear on formal nights. I know not everyone cares to wear a tux or participate in formal night but that's not the point of my post. This is my own choice.

Given weight restrictions when you fly with luggage I'd rather save the space of packing an extra pair of shoes when we fly. That's why I rent them on board.

$6 in damage fees is kinda steep for a pair of shoes for sure!. After 10 rentals, they shoes are paid for with the fee alone!

So instead of perseverating on the $6 damage fee, consider it instead a "delivery fee" and be glad the $6 saved you a $25 luggage charge :-)

Hi Curt,

Sometimes it's how things are presented. If the rental fee was a flat $20 (or $21 in this case) I wouldn't have said a thing. But when their website advertises shoe rental at $15 and you get tagged and extra $6 at the end it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Sort of like those famous "Shipping & Handling" costs.