Is December a good time to cruise to the South Pacific

The weather can be a bit unsettled. I always think of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race which leaves on Boxing Day each year and can run into storms.Excluding the Christmas cruises, early and mid December can be very good "price wise" as most folk are getting ready for Christmas, finishing up the work/school year etc., and are not really thinking holiday at that time.

Our best bargains have been late Nov, early Dec.:)

The weather can be a bit unsettled. I always think of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race which leaves on Boxing Day each year and can run into storms.Excluding the Christmas cruises, early and mid December can be very good "price wise" as most folk are getting ready for Christmas, finishing up the work/school year etc., and are not really thinking holiday at that time.

Our best bargains have been late Nov, early Dec.:)

Yes the cruise we are looking at is a very good price, that is why we are so tempted to go on this cruise, it is less than half the price of the Xmas cruise. My biggest concern is the weather, I only wish the cruise as going to NZ.

The other thing we could do is wait until closer when payments are due, but then there is no guarantee that we would get on a cruise. The prices seem to be higher this year.

We've moved our south Pac cruise from end Nov to June, just been researching weather and I think it seems to be better during our winter because this is their dry season, I think!!

can anyone clarify this for me?

The other thing we could do is wait until closer when payments are due, but then there is no guarantee that we would get on a cruise. The prices seem to be higher this year.

I think if you can take the chance to wait, then I'd do it for GREAT savings!

B&B&C

We've moved our south Pac cruise from end Nov to June, just been researching weather and I think it seems to be better during our winter because this is their dry season, I think!!

B&B&C

Yes I am worried about it being too hot, I must admit though on the ship you are in air-conditioning.

Yes I am tempted to wait, but it is a big risk.

I wonder when all the cruises will be released for next year. In saying that we are keen to go on another cruise sooner rather than later.

B&B&C

Yes it would be the dry season, presuming we are talking about a noumea/Vila cruise. Who knows what the weather will do nowadays, lol it's been so unpredictable. A cruise to NZ is not affected by a wet or dry season, that's tropical only. (who just said it rains a lot there) haha

On our June cruise 2010 it rained heaps in Vila and was overcast and windy most of the time at the other islands.

Last September the weather was much better, mostly pleasant and sunny, but in the town in Vila it was so hot and humid I couldn't wait to get back to the ship to have a shower.

I have noticed on the web cams that it rains quite a bit in their winter as well as summer. So, as for NZ, the luck of the draw.

I believe it would be quite nice on the ship - but not so nice ashore. I would not be doing anything ashore that involved walking or other physical exertion - except for swimming/snorkelling.

Barry

I believe it would be quite nice on the ship - but not so nice ashore. I would not be doing anything ashore that involved walking or other physical exertion - except for swimming/snorkelling.

Barry

Ah, me either Barry. Can't stand humidity or hot sun. I think that's one of the reasons I like NZ cruises. :)

Thank you all for your replies.

We have to decide by tomorrow if we are going to do the cruise. It is such a good price for the 4 of us in a balcony cabin, just under $4500, for 14 nights on the Oosterdam.

My biggest concern is the heat, and yes I am a Queenslander and don't like the humidity, but then I think it is only a few days in the heat, as during the night you are onboard the cruise ship, and also the sea days which is 6.

Decisions, decisions.

I've been on four South Pacific Cruises in December/January, and loved it. Yes it can be hot and humid at times, but there is always a breeze when you're at sea, and the ship is airconditioned (overly so in my opinion) if you need a break from the weather. And the hotter and more humid it is, the more likely you are to experience a down pour late in the day.

Since I'm from Western Victoria, I am definitely not aclimatised to such weather, and it has never been so hot or humid that I have not enjoyed myself. But, in saying that, I am probably one of those who can cope with warmer weather a bit better than others. (It often takes me by surprise when people start complaining about how hot it is).

I have also been looking at a cruise on the Ooosterdam (2nd January, 2013). I was on the HAL site today and tried to do a dummy booking for a VA category cabin, and every VA cabin that I tried is still available on that cruise (and I tried dozens of them!). I will definitely be waiting to see if prices come down. I suspect they will need to reduce their prices to fill the ship on this cruise, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same on the cruise you are looking at. Having said that, there are a couple of inside and outside categories that are guarantee only, but there are much, much fewer of these cabins compared to the balcony cabins.

Can I suggest you go to the HAL site and try doing a dummy booking and see just how many cabins in your category are still available (unless you are looking at VF or VE, as there aren't very many of these - I think a lot of people book them hoping for an upgrade since most have a steel balcony). I am going to keep checking my preferred cabins every week or two, and when they start disappearing, then I might make my move. Now that Easter is out of the way and their 2011-12 season is finished HAL will probably start looking at their pricing and perhaps making some pretty good offers (like freebies and obc). I have just put a hold on an Aqua Class cabin on X for later in January (12 nights), and it is far cheaper than the VA cabin for 10 nights on the Oosterdam, and it is a superior cabin category. (Yep, looking at doing 2 different cruises in January - heaven!!).

Good luck with whatever you choose:)

I've been on four South Pacific Cruises in December/January, and loved it. Yes it can be hot and humid at times, but there is always a breeze when you're at sea, and the ship is airconditioned (overly so in my opinion) if you need a break from the weather. And the hotter and more humid it is, the more likely you are to experience a down pour late in the day.

Since I'm from Western Victoria, I am definitely not aclimatised to such weather, and it has never been so hot or humid that I have not enjoyed myself. But, in saying that, I am probably one of those who can cope with warmer weather a bit better than others. (It often takes me by surprise when people start complaining about how hot it is).

I have also been looking at a cruise on the Ooosterdam (2nd January, 2013). I was on the HAL site today and tried to do a dummy booking for a VA category cabin, and every VA cabin that I tried is still available on that cruise (and I tried dozens of them!). I will definitely be waiting to see if prices come down. I suspect they will need to reduce their prices to fill the ship on this cruise, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same on the cruise you are looking at. Having said that, there are a couple of inside and outside categories that are guarantee only, but there are much, much fewer of these cabins compared to the balcony cabins.

Can I suggest you go to the HAL site and try doing a dummy booking and see just how many cabins in your category are still available (unless you are looking at VF or VE, as there aren't very many of these - I think a lot of people book them hoping for an upgrade since most have a steel balcony). I am going to keep checking my preferred cabins every week or two, and when they start disappearing, then I might make my move. Now that Easter is out of the way and their 2011-12 season is finished HAL will probably start looking at their pricing and perhaps making some pretty good offers (like freebies and obc). I have just put a hold on an Aqua Class cabin on X for later in January (12 nights), and it is far cheaper than the VA cabin for 10 nights on the Oosterdam, and it is a superior cabin category. (Yep, looking at doing 2 different cruises in January - heaven!!).

Good luck with whatever you choose:)

Thank you for your reply. The cabin we have on hold is actually mid ship, and has a glass balcony not steel. The reason it is VF is that the cabin 5056 is on the part above the lifeboats, and at the end of the section, which means you can't look directly down to the front of the ship. That doesn't concern us. The other good thing is that their is cabins above and below, so no noise from public areas.

HAL have actually heavily reduced categories on this cruise, and I have been on their site and tried to do a dummy booking, and looked at availability. They don't have that many 4 berth balconies available. They are also giving a discount for past passengers and our daughters are around $300 each, which is so low.

Out of curiosity I rang a US TA on their toll free number and the price in the US is nearly $6000. Even they consultant was shocked when I told her the price here, she even entered my mariner number and still couldn't get the price that is being offered here. The consultant said to me that they are always cheaper than Australia.

We have been looking at the Xmas cruise and the same category for the 14 nights is $10500, which is more than double the price.

The cruise you are looking at in January is only 10 nights.

HAL are obviously competing with the other cruise lines.

Thank you also Tasmania Cruiser for your comments, that is what we were thinking, as we will be on the ship more than what we would be on shore. Which means we would get the benefits of having a balcony cruise, being able to sit outside and drink wine, which we will be able to take onboard, as HAL allow you to bring wine onboard :)

We are looking at the Rhapsody Nov. 19, 2013 cruise, from Sydney,11 nights to Queensland. From the research I have done, it looks as though the weather should be pretty decent this time of year for that area. When we cruise, we like it nice and warm. Also, the average rainfall for November was very low, as opposed to Jan/Feb/March timeframe.

We are also looking at the Radiance Dec. 1, 2013 that sails to the New Caledonia/Vanuatu Islands area, 9 nights. Again, I understand this would be the beginning of the cyclone season. Other than that, what type of weather would we expect? Hoping nice warm days and nights, and if they are humid, we are used to the 90% humidity.

Thanks so much for all your help! :D

Which means we would get the benefits of having a balcony cruise, being able to sit outside and drink wine, which we will be able to take onboard, as HAL allow you to bring wine onboard :)

And no restrictions ... you can bring it on by the crate if you want!:p Just don't try to take your bottles into the dining room, the corkage is a killer!!

It sounds like you have done your homework, and I agree that is a fantastic price. I hope the January cruise prices come down a bit, because while I would love to try my third HAL ship, they are just not in the ballpark pricewise at the moment, and there are sooooo many choices out there this summer.

Cheers,

Archived