What do Canadians eat for breakfast?

I know this sounds a stupid question, but I have some Canadians coming to stay overnight and wondered what most Canadians eat. Do I prepare a cooked breakfast or do most prefer a different type.

Please help:o

We eat beaver sausages with Maple syrup, birch bark pancakes with Eskimo hashbrowns........ LOL Sorry just had to !

Anyway I think we Canadians eat bacon , eggs, and toast would be the norm. However why dont you ask them .

Enjoy your company :)

We eat beaver sausages with Maple syrup, birch bark pancakes with Eskimo hashbrowns........ LOL Sorry just had to !

Anyway I think we Canadians eat bacon , eggs, and toast would be the norm. However why dont you ask them .

Enjoy your company :)

Well, you do eat beaver tails! Yummy!

DH likes Red River Cereal. Friends who go to Canada often will bring it back for him.

Do I prepare a cooked breakfast or do most prefer a different type.

I think they would be delighted to sample some fine British cuisine. Your guests will most likely be as gracious as you as host are trying to be, so worry no more and cook them up a delicious British fry-up. :D

~ so recommends my Canadian son who recently returned from a year in Watford, England ~ :)

Silly Canucks, help a family out....

For breakfast Canadians generally eat yogurt, fresh fruit, a selection of home made butter croissant, eggs Benedict, a cheese souffle and of course a selection of bacon, sausage and andouille sausages. A side of fresh pastry is also appreciated as well as strong espresso, good Red Rose tea of a wonderful cup of Tim Horton's coffee.

For breakfast Canadians generally eat yogurt, fresh fruit, a selection of home made butter croissant, eggs Benedict, a cheese souffle and of course a selection of bacon, sausage and andouille sausages. A side of fresh pastry is also appreciated as well as strong espresso, good Red Rose tea of a wonderful cup of Tim Horton's coffee.

I didn't see smoked salmon. It wouldn't be a Canadian breakfast without smoked salmon. Oh, and a sprinkling of caviar if not.

Seriously, pretty well the same as British breakfast, maybe a little lighter.

Viv

I think some of you are missing the subtle point: OP lives in the UK. Wouldn't it be fabulous to offer their guests a typical (or fancy) British breakfast instead of what they might be used to? *shrug* When we went to England, we ate British food. When we went to Italy, we ate Italian food.

I know OP is asking sincerely and trying to be a gracious host, but I can't imagine a more fitting welcome to the UK than by offering some typical British fare.

Obviously, I seem to be in the minority here. Oh well.

EDITED to add: most Canadians eat smoked salmon and caviar for breakfast? REALLY? Gosh. I'm hanging with the wrong crowd.

I know this sounds a stupid question, but I have some Canadians coming to stay overnight and wondered what most Canadians eat. Do I prepare a cooked breakfast or do most prefer a different type.

The average canadian would eat a north american style of breakfast. Having been on a Medi cruise I've seen both the British and American buffet lines. No black pudding or blood sausage please though I can eat chips.:)

Thanks all. I knew mushy peas and chips would go down a storm :rolleyes::D

They are travelling at the moment and so I can't check with them, so obviously I need to put all your suggestions together and buy a bigger fridge to store them in. No beavers, but I wonder if moles will do!!! :p

I think I will have our normal eggs bacon sausage beans toast and marmalade available, and if they prefer I have cereals, fruit etc.

I know it sounded a daft question, but I just had to know, and who better to ask than all my friends on line. :)

Thanks everyone for the advice and the smiles :D

Thanks all. I knew mushy peas and chips would go down a storm :rolleyes::D

They are travelling at the moment and so I can't check with them, so obviously I need to put all your suggestions together and buy a bigger fridge to store them in. No beavers, but I wonder if moles will do!!! :p

I think I will have our normal eggs bacon sausage beans toast and marmalade available, and if they prefer I have cereals, fruit etc.

I know it sounded a daft question, but I just had to know, and who better to ask than all my friends on line. :)

Thanks everyone for the advice and the smiles :D

Sounds like you're well prepared. If they seem adventurous, you can always broaden their horizons with a little black pudding.

My breakfasts run the gamut from toast and coffee, to dry cereal & coffee, to soft boiled eggs on toast & coffee and everything in between....however on Sunday mornings for DW we start with a Bloody Mary, while I cook up a full breakfast of eggs, bacon, hash-browns and coffee and let her clean up.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually quite insulted!!!! what the heck do you mean what do canadians eat...please. FOOD!!!!!

I just loved the replies and then decided that I prefer a little more sleep to a big breakfast. On the weekends when we have time its pancakes or French Toast one day and the eggs and bacon the next. The one thing I missed in the UK when I was there each time was hot toast. Sorry, I am just not a fan of cold toast.:D

NOSEKH I am sorry you feel insulted by the fact that I wanted to be sure to give my visitors a breakfast they would enjoy :eek:

To the rest of you wonderful people, thank you for all your suggestions. I can see that as long as I have my usual store cupboard/fridge full of groceries I will be able to give them the breakfast they want - including hot toast which is also a necessity for me ;);)

Thanks again everyone :):):)

Hahahahahah....then we all go for a long run!

Archived