NEXUS card holders - embarkation, port of call, disembarkation

Hi all,

Any advice on using NEXUS cards at embarkation/checkin and other times? Sailing the Vancouver round trip Alaska Hubbard Glacier Cruise soon. Did not want to line up incorrectly, etc. - especially during check-in.

Currently at Classic level for Captain's Club so not expecting any "priority" status but still did not want to line up randomly. Read some recent reviews over on the Cruise Critic Review section regarding the Infinity boarding fiasco at Vancouver so any information will help.

:D :rolleyes: :confused:

Thanks!

Hi all,

Any advice on using NEXUS cards at embarkation/checkin and other times? Sailing the Vancouver round trip Alaska Hubbard Glacier Cruise soon. Did not want to line up incorrectly, etc. - especially during check-in.

Currently at Classic level for Captain's Club so not expecting any "priority" status but still did not want to line up randomly. Read some recent reviews over on the Cruise Critic Review section regarding the Infinity boarding fiasco at Vancouver so any information will help.

:D :rolleyes: :confused:

Thanks!

While the US CBP website states that NEXUS may be used for cruise travel, at least in the US, no terminal has a NEXUS kiosk. I don't know about Canada.

As for the ports of call, normally the ship's key card and possibly any photo ID is all that is required.

For check-in, some folks have reported using NEXUS, but there is no special line, and there are reports of check-in personnel not knowing how to handle a NEXUS ID. Personnel in Vancouver may be more conversant, but I don't think there is much if any advantage.

Your NEXUS card is an acceptable form of ID for clearing CBP and CBSA at Canada Place but there is not a special or dedicated line for NEXUS holders nor to my knowledge is there one any port in North America. Most cruise terminals are seasonal nature and I would guess the authorities do not want to go to the expense of putting in the kiosks. Having said all that, I would just bring along my passport so as not to confuse the situation, as you will likely cause some confusion for the cruise line check in people. I have used my NEXUS for boarding at other ports and at the train station in Vancouver and while customs will take it they really kind of look over their glasses at you.

Agreed. Sorry but your Nexus card isn't going to be of much help to you on this cruise as far as priority anything. The "fiasco" embarkation depends on the port load that day. The Port Metro Vancouver website shows you and one other ship embarking, so there will be bottlenecks at Security and at US pre-clearance, sorry.

I don't believe these new kiosks process NEXUS cards. The relevant information appears to be as follows:

"Eligible passengers for BorderXpress include U.S. and Canadian passport holders and U.S. Permanent Residents. This service is available without pre-registration and at no cost to the user".

But if you have some other information relating to their ability to process NEXUS cards then I am sure that we would all love to read it.