Viking Fontane Cancellation July 31, 2015

crazycruiselady

I received an email from Viking saying my July 31 Elbe River cruise on the Fontane was canceled because of low water levels. However, on their website, Viking is not listing this as one of the cancelled cruises. Something seems fishy. Is anyone else booked on this cruise getting the cancellation email or is it just us and we have been bumped for some reason?

In spite of the fact that the website hasn't been updated (shame shame..weekend or not, it should have been), kudos for Viking notifying and cancelling AHEAD of time...a full week ahead..

Disappointment for sure but it beats the heck out of flying all that way and then cancelling.

In spite of the fact that the website hasn't been updated (shame shame..weekend or not, it should have been), kudos for Viking notifying and cancelling AHEAD of time...a full week ahead..

Disappointment for sure but it beats the heck out of flying all that way and then cancelling.

Maybe finally they are making decisions based on "Lessons Learned" ?

I understand that Viking has no control over the river level and I would much rather have my cruise canceled than end up being bused around. I received the email Friday at noon so they did have time that day to change their website information. I was informed by one customer relations agent I talked to that the cruise was actually canceled on Thursday so they waited to let us know. For some reason, as of now, the Beyla is still sailing on the Elbe River the same time although I have a feeling those poor passengers will on a bus at least part of the time. I would like to say the Viking customer relations agents have been very understanding and helpful but we are looking forward to talking to one of their supervisors on Monday to see if they can book us on a similar cruise without charging us a fortune by not honoring the free airfare deal we originally booked under.

UPDATE. It is now 5 days later and Viking has still not updated it's website with the cancellation!!!!

Also, there is almost no chance of a cruise in this area for the rest of the year. We found 1 cabin on an Aug. 3rd departure in Eastern Europe. The starting price was almost exactly the starting price of our original cruise. Great, right, since we got a full refund and a $1000 each discount on a future cruise. Oh no. We got a good deal on our original booking but now that refund plus the discount leaves us $3,000!!!! SHORT for the new cruise. Bottom line, refund plus discount will NOT get us a replacement cruise!!!

UPDATE. It is now 5 days later and Viking has still not updated it's website with the cancellation!!!!

Also, there is almost no chance of a cruise in this area for the rest of the year. We found 1 cabin on an Aug. 3rd departure in Eastern Europe. The starting price was almost exactly the starting price of our original cruise. Great, right, since we got a full refund and a $1000 each discount on a future cruise. Oh no. We got a good deal on our original booking but now that refund plus the discount leaves us $3,000!!!! SHORT for the new cruise. Bottom line, refund plus discount will NOT get us a replacement cruise!!!

It is worth checking with a couple of other tour companies before giving up, prices are based on availability and someone may have some gaps to fill.

Honestly - if they had contacted everyone successfully who was booked on the cruise, there is no need to post this info on the website.

Sorry that you are unable to find a replacement trip :(

Edited by Coral

Definitely check some other cruise companies. I know that AMA and Avalon both have some good deals for August/September. Of course you would lose the $1000 each discount from Viking. Or you could keep an eye on any Viking deals for 2016; maybe you could get another good deal next year. Assuming you want to stay with Viking...

Dear crazycruiselady:

Our website is now updated with all sailings currently impacted by low water levels - we apologize for the delay. As you have discovered, stateroom availability is limited this time of the year; however, we would suggest you contact us at tellus@vikingcruises.com so that we may assist with re-book options. We look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Viking Cruises