DIY tea in Victoria at Empress Hotel

I will be stopping in Victoria in early Sept as part of my Alaska cruise. The Crown Princess is scheduled to be in port from 7:00 PM -11:59 PM. Is it possible to take the shuttles provided by Princess, into town, and do high tea at the Empress Hotel without doing a cruise excursion? Also, after the tea, will I have enough time to do a bit of sightseeing, tea shopping, and getting chocolates at Roger's Chocolates?

Or should I do my shopping and sightseeing first and then end with tea at Empress?

I'm not sure they serve tea at that time of night; you could easily Google the hotel and check it out, however at that time of night you might only be able to get it by going on the ship's excursion. You could do your shopping and then end your evening with a drink in the Empress' Bengal Bar.

The last sitting for tea is normally 4:45 pm, however from May until September they do offer evening tea from 7 pm with the last sitting at 9 pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings. So if your ship is on time, it is possible to take the shuttle into the downtown area (it stops on Government St. across the street from the Empress), dash down Government St and do a bit of shopping with a visit to Roger's and be back at the Empress at 9 pm and be back at the ship by 11:30 pm. If you are not in Victoria on one of those days, it is entirely possible that Princess has set up a "private" tea time with the Empress in the evening.

I was a skeptic about going for tea, but my wife wanted to go, so we went a couple weeks ago when we were over on the island for a couple nights. I have to admit it was wonderful! I think it is something everyone should try once, so I hope it works out for you and you are able to make it!

Thanks for the advice. We are in Victoria on a Friday, so hopefully there is a late seating for tea. If it doesn't work out, I may just wait until next trip to do the high tea. I live in CA and plan to go back to Seattle in Dec, and might take a side trip up to Victoria then for a day or so.

Edited by renaissancewoman101

Wow! Exactly what do you get for that?

I will link you to a copy of the menu. I am just surprised at the price tag, which increases every year; I certainly remember when it was a more reasonable $20.00, but of course, times change. :p I fully realize that life is precious and people have priorities, with tea at the Empress perhaps being on someone's bucket list. :) Understood. Please enjoy. :)

http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/pdf/emp-afternoon-tea-may-2015/ <--menu for Tea at Empress Hotel

OP renaissancewoman101, my educated guess is that the Princess shuttle is not free; our Celebrity shuttle wasn't free - it cost $11.00 per person, round trip, which will certainly add to your overall cost. If you don't mind paying that, then of course please just know that is one option. But I would venture a taxi for up to 4 people to the Empress would be less than $10.00 total and of course, it is a very easy, level walk for able-bodied people if you choose to walk it. You could take a cab one way and walk the other way.

I couldn't believe the cost, and you certainly don't get the value worth of food and tea, you are really paying for the experience. I did really enjoy it but probably wouldn't do it again, atleast not in the near future.

Heck, $63 hardly buys a good bottle of Scotch in BC and remember many are paying with USD, which today equates to about, what $47.50 or so. That said I do agree you are paying for the experience not the tea or the food that comes with....but you have the memory long after the bottle of Scotch is gone. ;)

Princess has contracted with CVS Cruise Victoria for the shuttle service this year and no it is not free....but I seem to recall it is $10....take that Greater Victoria Harbour Authority, which is charging $11 for their shuttle.:)

How about taking a horse and buggy with another couple to split the cost...wouldn't that be a fun way to arrive at The Empress for tea!?! They are always waiting at the pier....cost? Bet putter dude knows.

How about taking a horse and buggy with another couple to split the cost...wouldn't that be a fun way to arrive at The Empress for tea!?! They are always waiting at the pier....cost? Bet putter dude knows.

Is that a skill testing question? :)Talley Ho which operate the smaller carriages charge $55 to $250 depending on the length of the ride. My guess is that the rate from Ogden Point to the Empress would be about $50. However, when I spoke with them a few years ago I recall there was a bit of a surcharge for a ride from Ogden Point....they have to pay the harbour authority for the privilege of picking up pax there.

http://www.tallyhotours.com

Edited by Putterdude

No skill testing question...I am just so impressed with your knowledge of all the happenings going on in various ports, I decided to defer to you, rather than look it all up! Thx for helping the OP. Cheers marg

No skill testing question...I am just so impressed with your knowledge of all the happenings going on in various ports, I decided to defer to you, rather than look it all up! Thx for helping the OP. Cheers marg

And I think you had a great suggestion, what a terrific way to create an even more memorable experience.:)

• 2 weeks later...

We were unable to be seated for tea, due to a private event (a different cruise ship, perhaps?) booking the Tea room, and since we had a 10 y/o with us who could not enter the Bengal Bar, we opted for the Veranda and were seated within 5 minutes for cocktails and appetizers--so feel we got the casual version of the "Empress Experience". Witnessed a spectacular sunset that night, too!

Edited by quercus alba

• 2 weeks later...
The last sitting for tea is normally 4:45 pm, however from May until September they do offer evening tea from 7 pm with the last sitting at 9 pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings. So if your ship is on time, it is possible to take the shuttle into the downtown area (it stops on Government St. across the street from the Empress), dash down Government St and do a bit of shopping with a visit to Roger's and be back at the Empress at 9 pm and be back at the ship by 11:30 pm. If you are not in Victoria on one of those days, it is entirely possible that Princess has set up a "private" tea time with the Empress in the evening.

One more question for Putterdude, if you don't mind? When you say from May until September, does that include September? I will be there on Sept. 4th, which is a Friday, and I would love to take my friend there for tea. We are scheduled to dock at 6:00 so it sounds like there would be plenty of time to make it to the Empress for tea, see some sights and return to the ship on time.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

Wow! Exactly what do you get for that?

I know it is expensive, but SO worth it. You get the most amazing service. You do get their tea in a souvenir tin, and an experience like no other. You get white glove service, china and silver. I would not have changed it for the world.

Reserving in advance--sometimes long in advance--is essential for the Empress' afternoon teas. I have no experience with the evening tea but it seems a good idea to me, if only to find out about the situation where the room has been block-booked by someone else.

And others here are right about the value for money, which lies, like lunch at Simpson's, in the essentially British experience.