Best Packing List for 7 day cruise:

suzyaz

I look at it this way. For evenings you need 7 outfits. First night you will probably wear your boarding clothes, since your luggage didn't get delivered. Last night you will wear your travelling clothes, since you will have already packed to go home. Two nights are formal. That leaves you 3 nights. Ladies......one pair of black pants, 3 different tops.......and VOILA! :) Now, DH, that's a whole other story. He takes twice as much as I do. :(

Pia

Ok folks, you have cruise and cruise and you have got it down right. You have the best packing list and tips for packing. Lets see your great packing list...Suzy:D

This is our suggested packing list for our 7 night Alaska cruise next month:

http://www.alexlucy.com/friendspage/suggestedpackinglist.html

www.alexlucy.com/friendspage/suggestedpackinglist.html

DH just reminded me that we packed way too many clothes last trip. This trip I am going to pack and then take a step back, remove half the clothes and take twice the money! :D

In all honesty I don't mind doing a few loads of laundry so this time I am going to try to cut down on what we bring. If someone sees me in the same outfit twice, big deal!

.....You have the best packing list and tips for packing.

Lets see your great packing list....

This is not an insult or slam, but I have come to the conclusion that the entire packing list subject is a waste of time on this board.

The generic list is only good for those who have never cruised before. First timers most likely are on the newbie board asking the same 30 questions over and over again, never reading past posts to get their information. First timers find this board when looking for info on a particular Princess ship or practice. That is unless they do ask a newbie question and get ignored.

Those with just a couple of cruises behind them know that “their packing list” if different than anyone else. I’m not talking x number of shirts or socks, which I don’t think you need a list. On our list,we have to think about keeping medicine cold for a 9-hour travel day, how much blank media to bring for a (x) number of days cruise. 7 day cruise, but actually away from home for 11, plan on washing clothes half way through or stuffing another bag with clothes. It goes on and on.

Loved your list, it is similar to mine. I keep my list in table form in my computer and keep refining it with every cruise. (we have completed 17). For every cruise I use that table a template and add or delete what I need for that particular geographical area. I print it out and cross off as I pack. But I can’t resist asking what you pack duck tape for?

Judith

Yes, the ducks can be pretty pesky if the get on your balcony :)

Going to try and take 1/2 as much as usual on our next cruise. We have a suite so I'll take advantage of the free laundry service! Only going to do one formal night, the other we plan on dining in our suite, so half the formal wear....one of these days, I'll get on for a 10 day cruise with just my carryon roller!

SO, that's another story, he has a suitecase with just his electrical gadgets and camera stuff!

I would have to say the one item I will not cruise without is my credit card.

Loved your list, it is similar to mine. I keep my list in table form in my computer and keep refining it with every cruise. (we have completed 17). For every cruise I use that table a template and add or delete what I need for that particular geographical area. I print it out and cross off as I pack. But I can’t resist asking what you pack duck tape for?

Judith

Okay - top 10 real uses for duct tape?

1. Fixing suitcases the airlines smash, tear, deface and otherwise render useless

2. Keeping pump tops screwed down in place while packed

3. Emergency bra :eek:

4. Holding balcony doors open

5. Caging towel animals

6. Repairing eyeglasses

7. Taming the 15 electrical cords emanating from the power strip

8. Decorating your stateroom door for easy recognition when inebriated

9. Reserving lounge chairs on deck (tape your book and beach towel in place)

10. Keeping balcony railing hibachi securely in place.

SO, that's another story, he has a suitecase with just his electrical gadgets and camera stuff!

We took a very large suitcase with nothing but shoes! :eek: I'm working on my packing strategy right now. It really is the shoes that give me the devil. :D Let's see bathing suits, cover-ups, light weight/easy tote cruise casual outfits (2 to 3) such as a sundress, 2 to 3 pairs of shorts and shirts, formal wear. The electronics can get out of control too - camcorder, digital camera, batteries, chargers, laptop, etc. I'm down to camera, recharging packs and I must have the camcorder this trip otherwise it stays at home.

I found I don't need a lot of things mentioned on those cruise packing lists. Sunscreen, clothes, camera, money, something to easy to carry your essentials while in port (passport holder kind of thing), batteries for camera(s), medications and shoes. I'm still debating on the power strip. It did come in handy, but with a suite I'm debating if it's "necessary." Some cruiselines don't have self-serve laundry so I can see why some pack more clothes for those, but Princess does have them. While I don't like doing laundry while on vacation I found I can do a load or two here and there without it making me feel like I'm missing out. I also use the ship laundry service and budget accordingly in addition to self serve. If you don't use rush service it really isn't badly priced.

I haven't found a need for duck tape though the possibilities are endless. I feel if it becomes necessary I can probably wave down a fellow CC'er and ask for some. ;) I'm sure someone would be happy to oblige.

This is not an insult or slam, but I have come to the conclusion that the entire packing list subject is a waste of time on this board.

The generic list is only good for those who have never cruised before. First timers most likely are on the newbie board asking the same 30 questions over and over again, never reading past posts to get their information. First timers find this board when looking for info on a particular Princess ship or practice. That is unless they do ask a newbie question and get ignored.

Those with just a couple of cruises behind them know that “their packing list” if different than anyone else. I’m not talking x number of shirts or socks, which I don’t think you need a list. On our list,we have to think about keeping medicine cold for a 9-hour travel day, how much blank media to bring for a (x) number of days cruise. 7 day cruise, but actually away from home for 11, plan on washing clothes half way through or stuffing another bag with clothes. It goes on and on.

Hey, this is our 4th cruise and I still get great hints from other's on these boards about their packing list. It's very helpful to me.

I value your comments.

Politely I request that Long-timers not throw cold water on Newbies. We were all newbies once. I take pleasure in reading the packing suggestions and love to see what others recommend.

To tape up all the Ducks!!!!!!!!:eek:

On our very first cruise I way over packed. I compiled several different lists and made sure I brought the suggested items "just in case". As most of you know I didn't need most of what I brought. I did however end up needing the duct tape. I busted the zipper on our duffel bag trying to stuff too many souvenirs into it. We used the duct tape to keep the bag closed (and ended up having to buy a Carnival bag from the ship too).

I still tend to bring too many clothes although I have gotten better with each cruise. On our last cruise this past January we were able to do the self assist debarkation. On our next cruise I vow to bring even less.

• Administrators

You know, I still stand behind the statement that it is easy to just SKIP what you have no interest in.

And, if your packing list *is* different, maybe sharing that specific issue would be more appropriate here.

LauraS

Community Manager

A guys packing list:

Toiletry case: Toothbrush and paste, comb or brush, small scissors, nail clippers, deodorant, cologne, bandaids, meds. (in original bottles) including antacid, advil or other. Razor and shave cream. sunscreen.

Rolling suiter: Tuxedo and accessories, dinner jacket, Navy blazer, with khaki slacks, casual pants, 2 formal shirts, 2 white dress shirts, 2 silk ties, 2 belts, black dress shoes, 3 pair dark socks, 3 pair athletic socks, 6 pair underware, 3 t-shirts, 2 casual shirts, sweater, waterproof wind breaker. 2 swim suits, flip-flops, lounge pants and casual t to sleep in.

Carry-on: 1 shorts, 1 underware, 1 socks, 1 sweatshirt, digital camera, extra memory card, book, ipod, portable dvd player, book, reading glasses, sunglasses, cruise documents, address book, pen.

Wear for embarkation: casual/outdoor shoes, jeans, casual shirt, underwear, socks, coat, hat.

We use the laundry at least twice. everything can be worn again and mixed and matched. No need for shampoos, soaps or lotions because they are usually included. Most of the time you are out on an excursion, and can reuse the same clothes the next port. The only time you need to really look presentable is in the evening at dinner, so we place more emphasis on the formal and informal/semiformal outfits.

We've never been overweight on luggage, not have we paid for extra pieces, and we even come home with a few items that have never been worn.

It not necessary to empty your closet to go away for a week, just pack smart.

Dave:eek:

2843650840097197253mqHaDb_th.jpg

Archived